Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #2866
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 26,735
Cool I hope your new jacket works out for ya...

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #2867
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura0107 View Post
Whew, thanks for the responses!

I've got an all-day ride planned tomorrow and will get to test my new jacket/liner combo.
Tell us about the ride, pictures if you get them and let us know how the jacket/liner works out for you.

I like reading about what others are doing.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #2868
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Oddometer: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Tell us about the ride, pictures if you get them and let us know how the jacket/liner works out for you.

I like reading about what others are doing.
OK!

A friend and I rode about 200 miles today on county dirt roads, dirt & gravel National Forest roads, and some 2-lane blacktop in the central to Western parts of SC. I was on my DR650SE and he was on a DR-Z400. It was a beautiful sunny day, with temps ranging from the high 40's to the low 60's Farenheit.

I really liked the Santiago jacket. The armor was not noticeable and the jacket was very comfy. The two-way main zipper is a neat feature. The yellow & khaki color looked pretty good with my dark gray (which are actually dark green and black) Klim Dakar pants. I can tell that it will be an awesome summer jacket due to the amount of air it flows. The PrimaLoft jacket as a liner was fine, though next time if it will be below 50 or 55 degrees, I'll add a thin windblock liner from another jacket over the PrimaLoft. I wasn't painfully cold below those temps today, but felt the need for a little more wind blocking. I don't like dealing with two liners, but will either do that with this one or else just wear my Teknic Sequoia, which has a coated shell and is quite toasty. I took the liner out of the Santiago today when the temps got above 60. My next experiment with it will be a long ride when the temps range from the high 30's to the mid 50's, adding a windblock layer over the PrimaLoft as mentioned above. (I don't have any heated gear). So the verdict right now is Spring/Summer/Fall jacket? - "yes!"; Winter jacket? - "we'll see".

The first four photos are the only ones I took today, when we stopped to dislodge some gummy clay from the bikes. We both had knobbies under there, I promise! I was just going too slow through that muck. Thankfully we had some 60 mph dirt roads earlier in the day to balance out the 30 minutes or so it took to deal with that clay. The other photos are from previous rides on some of these same roads.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:05 AM   #2869
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 30,766
Awesome!

where are the pix of your new coat?
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:18 AM   #2870
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,506
Very cool. Thanks for sharing your ride and telling us about the coat.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:31 PM   #2871
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
Awesome!

where are the pix of your new coat?
On the cute, young, little BMW model a few posts back.

OK, here are a few:

Old 02-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #2872
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 30,766
color is good!

my guys are always giving me shit for my hi viz jacket and helmet..but the whiney little twunts admit that it's easy to follow me thru the woods!

I likes color!
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #2873
Valkiera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Thanks for sharing your trip, and the jacket review. I'm always looking for the next thing "I need"
Old 02-11-2013, 04:46 AM   #2874
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Looks like a nice jacket

Old 02-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #2875
terraunbound
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Thanks for sharing your trip! That is some amazing clay gunk. Back when I would drive my little baja through Texas mud I had a special screwdriver dedicated to prying out the clay from the tires, wheel wells, etc.

Nice looking jacket too - that 4th season in a jacket is hard to get just right.
terraunbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #2876
Tyler
Miss Demeanor

Oddometer: 307
I put together a little video of some ride highlights between Oct. 2011 and Oct. 2012. It was a big year for moto travel covering three countries, eight states, 18K+ miles, and more wonderful friends, adventures, and SMiles than I can count. It's a bit on the long side but has some great music behind it... so get yourself a beverage, kick back, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did putting it together... some of the images evoked lots of other memories on various trips which may not show up in the video but they are forever etched upon my heart and mind... hope you enjoy it!

https://vimeo.com/57096350

Dangerous Curves
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #2877
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
I put together a little video ...

https://vimeo.com/57096350
I enjoyed your video; that was an awesome 12 months of riding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraunbound View Post
Thanks for sharing your trip! That is some amazing clay gunk. Back when I would drive my little baja through Texas mud I had a special screwdriver dedicated to prying out the clay from the tires, wheel wells, etc.

Nice looking jacket too - that 4th season in a jacket is hard to get just right.
I rode about 6 hours this past weekend with the Santiago, with temps in low- to mid-40's F. This time I added a wind/water layer in addition to the Primaloft. Not gonna try that again! The only way this jacket would work for me for winter, sans an electric liner, would be for me to have bought the bigger size in order to have room for thick-enough layers. Then I would've needed to wear it over a pressure suit in summer to take up some of the room. So I'm going to stick with my Teknic Sequoia for winter and save the Santiago for warm weather riding.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #2878
samk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
new here

Hi Ladies - have been lurking whilst shopping, thought I belonged on the Versys Owners Forum - but *just* drove home yesterday with a new trailer, and a purty blue 2007 BMW F650GS to fill it. So I guess I'm not a Versys Owner at this time. But I AM a chick, so I guess this thread is where I belong! Um, one question - clicking the 'insert image' icon brings up box, asks for URL of pic - do I have to join Flickr or one of those? Is there a way to paste or bring up a photo from my Photo Library? Info or directions to info much appreciated.
samk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #2879
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Welcome samk ....

Old 03-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #2880
Dothemountain
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hi all! I've lurked enough and finally joined. One more female rider here (even if I do only have one ride and it's a scooter). Don't worry, as soon as I can I plan to be adding another bike...just not sure what it will be yet. Glad to meet everyone!
Dothemountain is offline   Reply With Quote