Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #1876
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjinkins View Post
Thanks JD,
I am not too worried about height as I am tall. I am leaning toward the DRZ front end, but I also see alot of KLX 300 forks available. I don't know if the 300 front end would be beefy enough for a 400 # bike. What do you think?

the KLX300 forks are plentiful and cheap because they're only 43mm, outdated by current standards when all the manufactures went to larger diameter inners. the KLX also used a small diameter axle, might have been only 15mm.

46mm would be the smallest i would fool with, and you should have a good selection of 48mm forks in your price range too.

the effort and expense is the same, might as well go big.

several good writeups by builders using late model USD forks, ktmklx for instance.

i wish some dude with crazy search skills would find the source for these bar mounts that fit the Versys top clamp.

jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #1877
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,516
I thought someone posted awhile back that a machinist friend made them, with the logo. Or am I thinking of another story I heard?

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #1878
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
I thought someone posted awhile back that a machinist friend made them, with the logo. Or am I thinking of another story I heard?

David
hey montana man, if you can find it, how 'bout a link.

why don't you get some time off so we can ride that 2500 mile best of the west route?
Old 02-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #1879
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

I'm not very good at searching. I'm going off memory, which is pretty sketchy. I remember reading about a french Canadian with poor english talking about his KLR build. I think some scandinavian jumped in and showed the bar mounts. It was some machine shop in Finland or something. Its tough to dredge through all those threads. I've been reading through sailah's and sanjoh's threads but no luck.

-David
Old 02-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #1880
nononsense4857
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Project kickoff!
To add more steam on this one, i just pampered myself :)

The protekk fork tube clamps are still out of stock. Finding it tough to get something similar, machine cut back home.

The Mowtechs.... how ever i need to machine out the mounting points of the fairing for this to latch on to the bikes frame.

Looks cool ... so cool that i would not want to dirty it at all ... wish i could just keep it in a show case!

The Tuono tear drop mirrors

Wishing these are a straight fit on the handle bar

Finally i am quite close to getting myself a power outlet on the bike. Got carried away and ordered the ROK straps too.

JD,
The ER6F you mentioned in the below post

Any idea which wind screen this one is. Looks good on the bike and its a bolt on fit.
Me just waiting for the fort tube clamps and may be the wind screen before i start off with an initial design of the headlight and digital console mount.

nononsense4857 screwed with this post 02-09-2013 at 07:07 PM
nononsense4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:50 AM   #1881
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsense4857 View Post
Project kickoff!
To add more steam on this one, i just pampered myself :)

The protekk fork tube clamps are still out of stock. Finding it tough to get something similar, machine cut back home.

The Mowtechs.... how ever i need to machine out the mounting points of the fairing for this to latch on to the bikes frame.

Looks cool ... so cool that i would not want to dirty it at all ... wish i could just keep it in a show case!

The Tuono tear drop mirrors

Wishing these are a straight fit on the handle bar

Finally i am quite close to getting myself a power outlet on the bike. Got carried away and ordered the ROK straps too.

JD,
The ER6F you mentioned in the below post

Any idea which wind screen this one is. Looks good on the bike and its a bolt on fit.
Me just waiting for the fort tube clamps and may be the wind screen before i start off with an initial design of the headlight and digital console mount.
the Protek clamps are just one of a number of similar clamps, a popular size in 41mm since it's the size of the common HD inner. you should check around, Protek is notorious for certain size clamps out of stock for months.

PM ADV inmate mpowers for more details on the Ninja build in the photo, he can answer any questions. it's a very cool build and well constructed.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:44 PM   #1882
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

JD, are any of my comments ringing the memory of what post that picture of the bar clamps came from. I think if I can find that post I can do a little searching on text in the post and maybe find the machine shop.

David
Old 02-11-2013, 05:13 AM   #1883
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
JD, are any of my comments ringing the memory of what post that picture of the bar clamps came from. I think if I can find that post I can do a little searching on text in the post and maybe find the machine shop.

David

no, don't recall that thread/post. the bar clamp in the photo would be specific to the Versys (KLE650) only, since it replaces the proprietary OEM clamp used only on this model. you are correct in saying it's a euro product, but country of origin uncertain.

you can get a sniff using google, and a photo of a modified streetfighter Versys they were used on (nice job on the bike), but i couldn't find a link.

a bunch of LSL aftermarket parts were also used on the same bike, it might be possible to get some info from them.

if they were in production, you would think they could sell a bunch.

any help appreciated.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #1884
OHjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Bar clamp

From here: http://www.xt500.de/versys-naked.htm I came up with this that looks close:

http://shop.mek.biz/product_info.php...er-Versys.html

Another link I found but not sure why it was linked as I cannot find any info on a riser: http://www.rmi-krefeld.de/
2004 ST1300 - sold
2005 V-Strom 650 - sold
OHjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #1885
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Looks like we have a winner. If you go to that www.xt500.de link, you will see an email icon in the upper left corner of the window. Maybe he'll be able to give you an answer.

David
Old 02-12-2013, 04:31 AM   #1886
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHjim View Post
From here: http://www.xt500.de/versys-naked.htm I came up with this that looks close:

http://shop.mek.biz/product_info.php...er-Versys.html

Another link I found but not sure why it was linked as I cannot find any info on a riser: http://www.rmi-krefeld.de/

that MEK listing is for a very similar clamp for 7/8 bars, possibly based on the same CNC file. all ".de" based addresses.

thanks
Old 02-12-2013, 04:40 AM   #1887
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Looks like we have a winner. If you go to that www.xt500.de link, you will see an email icon in the upper left corner of the window. Maybe he'll be able to give you an answer.

David
yeah, i emailed the guy from the xt500 site a long time ago, no response, no bounce. it almost looks like the the RMI/MEK are the same base with different bar clamps. the RMI powdercoated black for the black bike build.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #1888
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

i don't have my OEM R1 spring handy to confirm the physical dimensions of this spring, BUT if the spring is the metric equivalent of 2.25x7", then here is another source to replace the 9kg/mm OEM spring with a spring rate suitable for the direct connected Versys/ER6 suspension.

Cannon Racecraft custom R1 springs now cost almost double what i paid a few years ago. good product, and no complaints with their service at all, just the price.

confirm your spring dimension, then check here...

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?tp...action=product

i have not used this spring. please report back on your experience if you do.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #1889
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,365
Funny, I had found the same spring & have orderd the 950lb version since I plan on a 2" swing arm extension & some two up riding if the bike transport company ever brings me the bike

I have the R1 shock, a spare swingarm, some Fastway pegs, Honda CRF brackets all waiting on a bike to put them on.....
Old 02-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #1890
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
Funny, I had found the same spring & have orderd the 950lb version since I plan on a 2" swing arm extension & some two up riding if the bike transport company ever brings me the bike

I have the R1 shock, a spare swingarm, some Fastway pegs, Honda CRF brackets all waiting on a bike to put them on.....
passenger footrests?

don't remember that bike having any, or are you using the Versys struts.