ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 91 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #3331
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Cross-posting from Perfect Line...
An inmate friend is riding in the Central Mexico / Copper Canyon area. (Ding dong is out riding to Batopilas on a Wee-Strom, as if it were a Real Adventure Bike ).

Yesterday he hit the 'Custom' button on his SPOT 2 several times, which he's using to mean "not in need of help, but not completely OK", when he was stopped dealing with a flat tire and a couple other issues. None of them came through, although his OK and tracking points did. On previous trips (inside ConUS), Custom messages have come through fine.

To be clear: I don't just mean nobody got notified- The messages didn't come trhough. They're not logged in the SPOT database, with the tracking and OK messages.

Anyone have any experience with sending the 'Custom' message from a Spot 2 in that region? Either his device is malfunctioning, or whatever hardware and software is between him and the SPOT facility doesn't handle them.
You have to renter all the emails/phone #s for the custom msg. Perhaps he thought he was sending the custom message to everybody who was getting the OK msgs but did not fill the contact info in the custom msg section on the web site.????? I do not believe Custom messages are posted on the track & OK web site.
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #3332
UnclebudinTX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Cross-posting from Perfect Line...
An inmate friend is riding in the Central Mexico / Copper Canyon area. (Ding dong is out riding to Batopilas on a Wee-Strom, as if it were a Real Adventure Bike ).

Yesterday he hit the 'Custom' button on his SPOT 2 several times, which he's using to mean "not in need of help, but not completely OK", when he was stopped dealing with a flat tire and a couple other issues. None of them came through, although his OK and tracking points did. On previous trips (inside ConUS), Custom messages have come through fine.

To be clear: I don't just mean nobody got notified- The messages didn't come trhough. They're not logged in the SPOT database, with the tracking and OK messages.

Anyone have any experience with sending the 'Custom' message from a Spot 2 in that region? Either his device is malfunctioning, or whatever hardware and software is between him and the SPOT facility doesn't handle them.
Many have posted a similar experience.. and i always wonder... if they pushed the button long enough to get the confirmation "flashing button"...???? It is hard to see in bright light and almost impossible to do with gloves on (especially winter gloves) .. I have not had a problem with messages getting through... i have pushed the button and no confirmation flashing button so i pushed again..
1979 Kawasaki KZ1000st (sold)
1991 Harley XLHsporty 883 (sold)
UnclebudinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #3333
B.C.Biker
mighty fine

Oddometer: 614
Thanks for that suggestion, dwoodward. I do have an email from them that I cancelled my services. It is due for renewal in a couple weeks, we shall see. It's one of the reasons I didn't want to screw around with it for to long.
Seems with the inReach it is monthly billing that you can suspend or cancel every month. I like that better. Reactivating my Spot1 device and trying it out long enough to see if that fixes my problem would cost me a whole years service. The $ wouldn't keep me from eating three square meals a day but does reward their business model and "not my concern" customer service. Only way I can see to make them take notice is vote with my wallet.
Might just be the work ethic passed to me by my parents or the way I run my own affairs but it really bothers me. Of course the major issue is not being able to trust the service. Even looked at as a toy when it doesn't work as planned for a couple days through a certain area or time frame can lead to problems. Think wives or employers ect wondering if he is hurt bad or goofing off ect. I use it in work situations as well. Kinda like a crazy "spell check induced" message only it could take days to clear up. inReach lets you know if the message was received because of the two way aspect. Two way texts as well. No confusion. Instead of .4 watts I think it is 1.6 watts and a multidirectional antenna. There is some other competition for them as well. I'll see what the next couple weeks brings.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #3334
CatTomb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
inReach is a yearly signup too...

I started looking at these last night until my brain hurt.

The way I read it... inReach is an annual service that charges you monthly. If you cancel before the end of the year you are still responsible for the unpaid months.

The inReach seems like it has the most bells, whistles and farkles. I ride alone 90% of the time and am looking for something reliable that will call SAR if I am seriously hurt and somehow to contact my girlfriend to come retrieve me if I or my bike is broken down somewhere outside of cell range.

I am becoming technology (bell, whistle) sensitive after wasting too much money on iPhones. The iPhone5 is not demonstrably better then the iPhone4 and Siri is worthless.... and I am considering putting a dog cone around my neck so I don't look at it every two minutes.

I don't want my locator to require a second cone
CatTomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #3335
clocklaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
There is something coming that I think you guys will like.......
1992 TDM850 - "Ginger" & 1993 TDM850 - "Raven"
clocklaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #3336
81husky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by clocklaw View Post
There is something coming that I think you guys will like.......
That's quite the tease. I'd like to get something by late Spring, so I guess I'll sit on the fence a while longer.
81husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #3337
CatTomb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Talking +1 on the tease

Maybe a little more info ???
CatTomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #3338
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,674
no tease, just boring anecdote

Just got back from 6 weeks trip, used the Spot 2 & tracking. The Spot worked perfectly. Started the trip with old but still usable lithiums, had to change them twice during the trip. Works out to roughly one set (3) of lithiums every 2.5 weeks. I did make sure to turn the unit off overnight & when we weren't traveling.

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #3339
clocklaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81husky View Post
That's quite the tease. I'd like to get something by late Spring, so I guess I'll sit on the fence a while longer.
Not meaning to tease, but it isn't my project and I think that it should be left up to him to post it up....I think you'll like it and I think he'll be along shortly
1992 TDM850 - "Ginger" & 1993 TDM850 - "Raven"
clocklaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #3340
bungie4
Frostback

Oddometer: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by clocklaw View Post
Not meaning to tease, but it isn't my project and I think that it should be left up to him to post it up....I think you'll like it and I think he'll be along shortly
Okay okay clocklaw... I'm here...

You are cordially invited to take part in the Assistance List. Blatant ad below. Two things, you can use this offroad as well as off via your Spot device, and I've built in the capability for it to take over the Tent Space List.

The Assistance List is available for you to sign up!

http://www.assistancelist.com

What is it?

The Assistance List started life in 2006 as a voluntary on-road assistance list for the FJR Forum. It's a co-operative, you volunteer to help somebody traveling in need of assistance, and in return, you get the same when you travel. Since that time the list has grown immensely with nearly a 1000 participants all over North America and the world. Over the years, it's helped many people and proven its value over and over again.
It originally was distributed monthly via an email .pdf file, then, in 2009, a GPX file for your GPS was added. It got to be a bit of beast to manage on a monthly basis manually, so it's been automated and made available to any organization, group or forum.

Simply put, the Assistance List only maintains the bare minimum of information about you to get the job done. Your forum handle, your first name only, the city, state/prov and country your in, some telephone numbers for travelers to contact you and the types of assistance you can provide. This information is only available to other participants and not publicly available on the website.

So, what is new and how does it affect me.

1. The assistance list is no longer manually maintained. You maintain your own data via the website[/*]
  2. The list is available on demand 24/7. Ready for printing or for downloading the GPX file.[/*]
  3. It is no longer just the FJR list. It is for any group or organization who wants to have their own list. You decide which groups you want to participate in. Your information is only available to the groups you join. This can greatly expand the the amount of, and reduce distance to, the help you require. If your a member of another forum and want to start a list, just send me an email and I'll add it.[/*]
  4. You can filter the list for only specific countries, state/provinces or even assistance types. Keeping the size small for printing.[/*]
  5. Secure, the assistance list uses your email address to send you a 24 hour access code, after that 24 hours, you must generate another access code.[/*]
  6. The assistance list is Telephony enabled! This means we can send out Text Messages in real time in addition to email when you request assistance.[/*]
  7. You can access the assistance list at any time from any device. Desktop, tablet, or smartphone.[/*]
  8. Speaking of Spot Trackers, we've wired up your Spot Tracker directly to the assistance list. Press HELP and we'll contact as many people as you define via email and via text message in addition to any members within a 100 mile radius of your location. That's right, the list is now fully location aware.[/*]
  9. When we know your location, we even send a google map link to your exact location in both email and text message so responders know exactly where you are.[/*]
  10. Don't have the list printed or on your GPS. Text our number with your location and we'll contact your Spot Contacts via email/SMS.[/*]

DISCLOSURE

The assistance list has been, and will continue to be free. You can use it to participate and generate a list or GPX file and seek help in any way you see fit. Just like always.

However, the telephony component (Text Messages, Voice access which is coming soon!) will carry a $5.00 Cdn charge for each incident request. It doesn't matter if we send out 1 or a 100 SMS Text messages, it is still the same rate. This is to cover the cost of providing that service and to offset the cost of running the website. I seriously doubt anybody will be getting rich off this.

You have a 3 day grace period from the date of sign up to configure and test the website SMS functionality and I will wave the charges. Don't kill me m'kay! It shouldn't take more than a couple of tries to verify it works. After that, add as many 'Spot Contacts' in both email and telephone and your good to go.

2013 FJR1300, 2004 FJR1300, 2013 CRF250L
I have a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff.
On/Offroad help when you need it - http://www.assistancelist.com
bungie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #3341
Spirit_Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Spot VS Spot Connect

Has anyone used Both?
If so which worked better? more reliable. Which was easier to use?

I currently have a Spot Gen1 but I am thinking of switching to a Connect. I have suspended my contract with Spot right now due to lack of traveling but I plan on using it this summer and wonder if I should change. I never did like the activation for the tracking and had problems with missed tracks, normally after sending a OK.
Spirit_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:47 AM   #3342
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
About a year or so ago, I purchased an InReach - I liked the idea of gauranteed messages and the Iridium network. However I had a lot of pairing issues with mutiple devices, so it was a PIA. Plus the tracking plan in Canada is expensive (not like the states). So I dumped the InReach and went with SPOT II plus a PLB as backup. I am often in the backcountry alone so I need redundancy. The SPOT II gets about 95% of my messsages through.

While mountaineering we have needed to use the PLB a few times, and it always works.

So basically, the SPOT is for the wifey to track me. The PLB is for emergencies.
OneEffinName is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #3343
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,465
I have an iphone and have a connect, I also had a Spot1 with tracking
Both do well most of the time, there are definitely dead spots so expect some lost/missing locations.
The Connect had some early problems with the software and BT connection.
New software versions have fixed most of this??
It still has trouble making the connection sometimes and I like to leave my phone off to save battery, so it takes a little time to turn on phone, establish connection (sometimes quickly, and sometimes turn on/off/reset/retry) then send message.
In the end, the Connect has more features ie. send different messages ( I don't subscribe to the txt service) but is a little harder to use than the Spot 1 or 2.
This is just from my personal experience. I'm sure others have a much better grasp on the workings and differences between models.

Lastly whatever you get, practice with it before you need it.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #3344
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit_Rider View Post
Has anyone used Both?
If so which worked better? more reliable. Which was easier to use?

I currently have a Spot Gen1 but I am thinking of switching to a Connect. I have suspended my contract with Spot right now due to lack of traveling but I plan on using it this summer and wonder if I should change. I never did like the activation for the tracking and had problems with missed tracks, normally after sending a OK.

You might already know this, but on the SPOT 1, you can't activate a track while an "OK Message" is in progress. Or vice versa, You can't send an OK while Tracking is in progress. I think that was the biggest downfall of the SPOT 1 was the confusing manor between the tracking and OK using the same button and not being able to tell which one is currently in progress. If you make sure the OK message box isn't blinking before trying to activate the Tracking, it works fine. It wasn't well documented, but if Tracking is active, you can stop the tracking by holding in the OK button till you see a red light. Then after a series of more red lights and such, it turns off. Only way to stop an active OK process that spans over 20mins is to power the unit off and turn back on.

I've been on the SPOT 1 since it came out and I'm still very happy with it. I have no desire to upgrade to the SPOT 2 or Connect.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #3345
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
You might already know this, but on the SPOT 1, you can't activate a track while an "OK Message" is in progress. Or vice versa, You can't send an OK while Tracking is in progress.
That's one of the reasons I've got a Spot2 on the way.
Along with smaller size and quicker to pick up satellites.