Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #2146
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye of the Tiger View Post
I just did a 400 miles highway trip, and had plenty of time to fool around with the thing. I got the hang of it pretty well. I only had a slight issue when a car suddenly decided to merge in front of me, but I forced the throttle closed manually. It definitely saved my hand from getting cramped up. Now I just need something to save my ass. These rear shocks are horrible
If you had to 'force' it closed, it was too tight. Set the tension to where it will slowly vibrate closed on its own.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #2147
blackSP
62 6c 61 63 6b 53 50

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanotti View Post
I really like this paint color and stripe. It seems to be a European model only? Does anyone know if this available in USA?

Z

Hi, it is the bike below, the 2013 1200 Custom Special, that you can get anywhere across the world. I just had it painted and powder coated to my liking...

Same bike!
But what a bit of paint can do :)

b l a c k S P e c i a l s

blackSP screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 12:16 PM
blackSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #2148
tree88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Laugh I believe this belongs here

14.25" progressive 412's
progressive fork springs (mat eventually get longer damper rods)
Avon Storm 2 radials
Rifle custom windshield (not pictured)

My day-to-day transportation.
tree88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #2149
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,152
^Welcome tree88! You're fixing the "Super Low"! How's the cornering clearance now? Nice job with the 2-1 exhaust, too.
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:57 PM   #2150
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by tree88 View Post
14.25" progressive 412's

Hmmm... In researching increasing the corner clearance of my new 48 I had read that 13.5" shocks were about the max. or else you'd run into belt/master cylinder interference issues. So, you're running 14.25 inchers with no problems?
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #2151
sloryder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
@ DS Hobo: What are the rear shocks you are running, what length are they, and how do you like them?
sloryder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #2152
Eye of the Tiger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
If you had to 'force' it closed, it was too tight. Set the tension to where it will slowly vibrate closed on its own.
But how am I supposed to cruise with no hands?
Old 02-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #2153
hhkiwi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Hmmm... In researching increasing the corner clearance of my new 48 I had read that 13.5" shocks were about the max. or else you'd run into belt/master cylinder interference issues. So, you're running 14.25 inchers with no problems?
I'm running 15" shocks on my 2007 XL 1200R with no issues.
hhkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #2154
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhkiwi View Post
I'm running 15" shocks on my 2007 XL 1200R with no issues.
Hmmm... Interesting... I'm pretty sure that I read over on xlforum that 13.5" was about the longest. Obviously the poster was incorrect.

What was the stock length on the Roadster? 13.5", right? Did you do anything to the front when you went with the longer shocks? If not, how did the geometry change affect the handling?
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 02-12-2013, 08:37 PM   #2155
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
Ya but don't you folks get all the other great bikes we wish we could have?
Yes true ... we have every model of scooters made by every brands You should see the numbers and models of scooters on the road here.
BobPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #2156
Eye of the Tiger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Yes, do tell. Is the XL1200R already set a bit higher than a Nightster or 48? If so, it may have some different parts on it, but I don't know.
I think I am set on a 13" shock for myself. It should about double the current suspension travel, anyway.
I will enjoy the quicker steering response, increased cornering clearance, and some semblance of ride quality.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:08 AM   #2157
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye of the Tiger View Post
Yes, do tell. Is the XL1200R already set a bit higher than a Nightster or 48? If so, it may have some different parts on it, but I don't know.
I think I am set on a 13" shock for myself. It should about double the current suspension travel, anyway.
I will enjoy the quicker steering response, increased cornering clearance, and some semblance of ride quality.
Yes, both the Nightster and the 48 are factory "lowered" models. The Roadster was the last of the normal height Sportsters, although I think the Custom did also have the same suspension height. Either way though, the current lineup is all lowered for the "look".

I'm already planning to swap out my damper rods and fork springs for the Roadster length items along with Riccor Intimidators, and had been planning on 13.5" (or there abouts) Ohlins (Roadster length suspension), in order to increase the cornering clearance as well as improve the ride quality. But, if I can go a little longer on the shock length that would steepen the rake a little and hopefully quicken the steering just a bit. Motorcyclemental has an Ohlin shock available in a 360mm length, which is just under 14.25", and another. more expensive adjustable model that has a max length of 346mm, which is 13.62" for us yanks. Ideally I'd like to have an adjustable length model that topped out at a bit over 14" but they don't list such an animal. Incidentally, the 360mm model also has the longest stroke length with 105mm, or 4.125".

Hmmm... Which to get?

Randy screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 05:22 AM
Old 02-13-2013, 08:28 AM   #2158
Vial Style
PRO ANTI

Oddometer: 35
I have the 360mm Ohlins on my 2006 1200R......I'm very happy with them.
Vial Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:30 AM   #2159
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Yes, both the Nightster and the 48 are factory "lowered" models. The Roadster was the last of the normal height Sportsters, although I think the Custom did also have the same suspension height. Either way though, the current lineup is all lowered for the "look".

I'm already planning to swap out my damper rods and fork springs for the Roadster length items along with Riccor Intimidators, and had been planning on 13.5" (or there abouts) Ohlins (Roadster length suspension), in order to increase the cornering clearance as well as improve the ride quality. But, if I can go a little longer on the shock length that would steepen the rake a little and hopefully quicken the steering just a bit. Motorcyclemental has an Ohlin shock available in a 360mm length, which is just under 14.25", and another. more expensive adjustable model that has a max length of 346mm, which is 13.62" for us yanks. Ideally I'd like to have an adjustable length model that topped out at a bit over 14" but they don't list such an animal. Incidentally, the 360mm model also has the longest stroke length with 105mm, or 4.125".

Hmmm... Which to get?

Keep the info coming, Randy. Good stuff!

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #2160
Red eyed and Rollin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Wicked Xr

I have tried this before butnherenwe go again! I am goin to try and buy a new 11 XR today at a local shop. I have read all threads on this bike but any updated info on the bike pros cons would be appreciated. I am a lurker on Xrog forum as well. Thanks! This one may just work.
Red eyed and Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote