Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 08:12 AM   #16
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
If I was looking for an early 90's bike I think I would stick with GG or Beta, just because those bikes are still available today and I would think part would be easier to get.

There was nothing wrong with my Aprilia in the day (except for being a little heavy and slow steering), but I've heard parts are drying up. And the other big player back then was Fantic, who is still in business, but hasn't imported a bike for a long time.
Fantic is NOT in business. They went tits up in the 90's. But I could be wrong, did they come back to life recently?
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:51 AM   #17
joe cool
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 846
Someone posted over in road warriors of a Fantic tr300es. I've heard rumors of a comeback.
joe cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:02 PM   #18
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe cool View Post
Someone posted over in road warriors of a Fantic tr300es. I've heard rumors of a comeback.
Cool, I think it is just like Sherco/Bultaco though?

Translated by google, from "origins" page at http://www.fanticmotor.it/azienda/storia.php

"But the prohibition to practice off-road, the economy connected to the world of two wheels and a few mistakes have led the company to close its doors Fantic In 1995 Fantic Motor Barzago... of productive activity ceases, leaving a huge void especially in trials where had carved out a leadership position"

"Now with the purchase of the brand Fantic by industrialist Treviso Fregnan may bring glory to the great history of the motorcycle company Lecco and the cost of the operation suggests that there is only a certain interest dictated from the heart to the brand Barzago. The first to get your hopes are just the fans or aficionados of the Fantic Motor, which have always had the hope of seeing this company resurrected, and now Frederick Fregnan has rekindled hope."

But hey, comebacks are nice, look at OSSA.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #19
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
Fantic is NOT in business. They went tits up in the 90's. But I could be wrong, did they come back to life recently?
I didn't Google it, but I believe Fantic has remained in business in Europe and other parts of the world, primarily making small displacement bikes. They have not imported in the US since the mid 90's, which I would assume making it hard to get parts here.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #20
GP MX Fan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
In the 90s I rode a series of Yamaha MX and OSSA Phantoms in vintage motocross.

2002 Heritage Softail Classic
1998 Honda CR250
1983 OSSA 303 Trials
and some other odds and ends...
GP MX Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #21
EmkIoway
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Laugh for sale

There's a 92 Aprilia for sale on Des Moines craigslist. Sharp looking bike with rebuilt engine.
EmkIoway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #22
Thumpermeister
roost maker

Oddometer: 2,504
I was riding stuff from the 70's back then. I hope to have something from the 90's soon!
Thumpermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:03 AM   #23
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmkIoway View Post
There's a 92 Aprilia for sale on Des Moines craigslist. Sharp looking bike with rebuilt engine.

Is she yours?

Aprilias ran the Rotax motors?
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:24 AM   #24
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,607
Wow, going back to 1985 for me. Started on a Bultaco Sherpa T, painted it several times, it hurt me several times. Then trials nirvana, Yamaha TY350 mono shock. Bought it off Generator George Nadle in Plano Texas. That bike evolved into a John Shirt wonnabe. My first new bike was then on to the Fantic 307, really the best balanced bike I ever owned. I would watch a half hour of MASH every evening in the garage balancing on a dead engine. The KeeRoo sucked, I hated that bike. Then Aprilla's came next, the yellow and blue Climber I called the John Deere. It could climb anything as long as a turn was not required. Then and finally the Gas Gas Klubber came to town with Andrew Codina. Been riding Gas Gas since. Dale Malesak has been incredibly good to me for a long long time, always there on race day. I think I have owned 9 Gasers but really lost count. I think if I didn't ride a Gas Gas, I would ride a Beta but team Sherco is very well organized and Ryan Young is the man.

Trials bikes all look the same upside down.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #25
Gham OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by AteamNM View Post
Wow, going back to 1985 for me. Started on a Bultaco Sherpa T, painted it several times, it hurt me several times. Then trials nirvana, Yamaha TY350 mono shock. Bought it off Generator George Nadle in Plano Texas.
Hey! I grew up in Plano,never heard of George Nadle though.Must have left before the first Trials bike ever came to town

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #26
Helikoptermann
bloody german...

Oddometer: 51
I got myself a 1993 Aprilia yesterday...
I guess, it must have been ridden by someone in the nineties
Old 02-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #27
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
I was riding MX and enduro bikes in the 90's.

I did bring a 1992 Gas Gas GT250 home yesterday so I have a 90's trials bike now. Like Helikoptermann said somebody must have been riding it in the 90's...
Old 02-11-2013, 12:14 PM   #28
Helikoptermann
bloody german...

Oddometer: 51
Aaaand, since we´re already here...i have a quick question:
Is there a special trick to kickstarting those big(ger) 2smokers?
I tried to start my Aprilia today (0° Celsius), and it took me ages to get that sucker running. The guy I bought it from yesterday did it fairly quick (3-5 kicks).
So far, I only had experiences with some 50cc smokers. Those I could get started rather quickly.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #29
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helikoptermann View Post
Aaaand, since we´re already here...i have a quick question:
Is there a special trick to kickstarting those big(ger) 2smokers?
I tried to start my Aprilia today (0° Celsius), and it took me ages to get that sucker running. The guy I bought it from yesterday did it fairly quick (3-5 kicks).
So far, I only had experiences with some 50cc smokers. Those I could get started rather quickly.
You could try this for kicking "technique" :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdM4qkAqywk

Other tips for really cold/hard starting are:

1) Turn fuel on and lay bike over for 30 seconds or so. This insures carb is full.
2) Put bike in 4th or 5th, crack the throttle and roll the bike back and forth a couple of times. Be sure you hear/feel the piston cycle in the cylinder. Stop on a backwards roll so the piston is near TDC. This helps create vacuum to draw fuel into the cylinder before you start kicking.

If I do both of those, bikes start pretty easily for me.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:01 AM   #30
gybeman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVCoop View Post
You could try this for kicking "technique" :
1) Turn fuel on and lay bike over for 30 seconds or so. This insures carb is full.
2) Put bike in 4th or 5th, crack the throttle and roll the bike back and forth a couple of times. Be sure you hear/feel the piston cycle in the cylinder. Stop on a backwards roll so the piston is near TDC. This helps create vacuum to draw fuel into the cylinder before you start kicking.
If I do both of those, bikes start pretty easily for me.
Boy, you need to look at your starting/pilot circuit.
- one missed step though, like any 2T, is if it has sat for days/weeks and you didn't add any mixed fuel, give the bike a shake and bounce for a min to make sure its mixed up and not separated.

That early Aprilia is also a possible candidate for a flaky (ducati? ) ignition/stator.
gybeman is offline   Reply With Quote