Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 08:01 AM   #106
Moonshiner
aka "B-dog"

Oddometer: 183
Saw one at the local motorcycle show. IMHO, it's set up better than its predecessor, the 800ST.

I liked it quite a bit. That said, if I buy one, it'll probably be used after someone else has taken the depreciation hit. But the size, the horsepower, etc. are pretty much what I like. I'd have to have the "comfort" seat to take a little bend out of my knees.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:21 PM   #107
DFH
270 deg crank

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Been bugging me, I was trying to think where I'd seen that fairing before.

Plus back in 1996 the Yamaha YZF600 came with a fully adjustable cartridge damper fork, fully adjustable rear shock & an engine that did not vibrate your testicles into soup if you decided to access its full 90 hp. Ahhh the march of progress.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:45 PM   #108
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,136
My F800ST runs very smoothly. Even when running it to redline.
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #109
SDDinNH
Ridgerunner

Oddometer: 100
Well, there's lots of opinions and lots of viewpoints, but personally, I like it. I've been looking to "down size" my touring bike so I went down to my local dealers, sat on one, ran it around a bit (almost froze to death - lol), and bought one on the spot. I've got an F650GS as a second bike. I've had that for a while and I've seen non of the drawbacks or problems that others have mentioned with this engine so I'm expecting good things out of this combo.

We're still a ways from riding up here, but my F800GT will be in the garage by next weekend just waiting for spring. After a few trips when it warms up around here, I'll know if it was a good decision or not.
SDDinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #110
LostViking
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 913
Max has two in Troy, one white, one orange. Nice.

I liked it, but one thing I didn't care for was when you put the balls of your feet on the pegs, your left heel rests on the heat shield. I'll have to actually ride one when the weather breaks and see how if feels when moving.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #111
LostViking
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 913
Yes Congrats, definitely a sweet looking bike!
Old 02-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #112
SDDinNH
Ridgerunner

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostViking View Post
Max has two in Troy, one white, one orange. Nice.
When I bought mine yesterday, I had my choice of either a white one or an orange one - they said those 2 were all Max had left in his sellable inventory and there are no more in the current pipeline. The NH store was shipping their last one over to NY for a customer. There's a couple of demos floating around Max's, but they can't sell those until they have 2000 miles on them. I took the orange one and even then they had to trailer it up from the Ct store to NH for me (nice guys by the way - and good service).

When I ordered the bags for it, the parts guy said there are only 3 sets in the US inventory and none in Germany so who knows. I'm told that the reason for the shortage is that they released it worldwide and since the US is only about 15% of BMW's market, we get that percentage of bikes.

As a side: I was over your way last year for a week of riding on my RT. You got some GREAT roads over there. I thought we had some pretty good riding up here, but your roads are just as good and are in better shape.
SDDinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #113
VegemiteSandwich
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Cool2 4 more sleeps!

I've taken the plunge and bought an F800GT! Upgrading from my trusty (and loved) CB400. It'll be sad to see the CB go - and I might miss the smoothness but don't think I'll miss the reving at 7000rpm for hours on the freeway - or the lack of wind protection given by the "windscreen".

So come Wednesday (hopefully) I'll be the proud new owner of a Light White (as opposed to pastel white or dark white) F800GT. Panniers and top box to come ... ordered and paid for but not in yet.

At 5"1 (and a bit on a good day) I can get balls of feet down both sides on a low(ish) seat (admittedly the low seat was off another model bike on the demonstrator so not entirely sure of the seat height - when my actual bike is unpacked the dealer has said I can choose between the seat ordered with the bike and the one I test rode which is good of them. Unfortunately I'm not very good at decisions and will probably um and ah about it and still not be sure of the decision in the end ) For anyone also vertically challenged my inseam is 29". I'll probably try to play with preload and ESA settings (if they make any difference) to try to drop the height a bit in the early days - just to add a bit to the confidence .. first "big girls bike" with full fairing etc etc.

All those kms on the CB (27150km to be exact) since June 2011 and now I'll know what it's like to have warm hands in winter like my hubby .. who has always been careful not to point out his use of his heated grips while I'm freezing my bits off. If only it wasn't 32C degrees here at the moment ... don't worry we'll be whinging when it gets cold - anything under 25C

VegemiteSandwich screwed with this post 02-09-2013 at 04:28 PM
VegemiteSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #114
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegemiteSandwich View Post
I've taken the plunge and bought an F800GT!
Congratulations! May I ask how much it was? I didn't even know they were available in Australia yet...
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #115
zilla
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,599
I sat on one at the IMS Show in Chicago today. That was a bad idea.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #116
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilla View Post
Sat on one today. Really, really liked it. Very nice bike. Will test ride one likely next week.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:40 AM   #117
VegemiteSandwich
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrix View Post
Congratulations! May I ask how much it was? I didn't even know they were available in Australia yet...
"Recommended retail" ride away (12 months QLD rego) with the electronics package added (ESA, TPC, ASC) was just over $19,000 AUD. I got a good deal (I was happy with it at least) from my local friendly BMW dealer.

As far as I know they were released yesterday (9th February). I was reading somewhere (on another forum maybe) that someone in Victoria picked theirs up yesterday. I rode their just out of the crate black F800GT .. it had 18km on it :)
VegemiteSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #118
BSUCardinalfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilla View Post

same here. also thought it was a bad idea.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #119
Anteraan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSUCardinalfan View Post
same here. also thought it was a bad idea.

So did the lady behind you, apparently.
Anteraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #120
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,781

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote