Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 07:32 AM   #691
Rider OP
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeS View Post
All of those Ducati ST's up there make me want to try one out..
A buddy of mine rented an ST4 years ago and rode across Europe on it.
He loved it.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #692
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaz View Post
Go ride a Moto Guzzi or a BMW twin and then hop on a inline-4 or 6, if you still don't understand what busy is then you won't understand. For those that think their GS, standard or GSXR with soft luggage is a S/T bike, let me explain it this way. If you show up at a sports car ralley in a jacked up Nova and you call it your sports car, does not make it one!
From the coments about my post, I feel that I have proven my point. The definition of a S/T bike has been blurred by the public, but the manufacturers still know the recipet and they all build the same type of bike, after all they created that segment of the market.

Rocker- I love the LeMans series of bikes and your looks like a fine example, lucky man!! I have also always been fond of the SP series.
I guess these wankers have no idea what they are talking about then.......

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/2010AugGS.pdf
AviatorTroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #693
jrflanne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
I used to have a ST4. What a fiddly PITA. I just got an email from the fellow that bought it. He says it is rock solid reliable. I guess I broke all the stuff to be broken on that thing. + a new clutch.
jrflanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #694
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,103
Quote:
Go ride a Moto Guzzi or a BMW twin and then hop on a inline-4 or 6, if you still don't understand what busy is then you won't understand.
What I was trying to ask you is what difference you saw between an ST1100 and an FJR.
As an aside, I've been riding for 40 years and have ridden Guzzis and owned a few BMW twins. (currently a Ural and GL1500 in the mix too.) The FJR is as smooth as any if not more. My longest day in the saddle was on it. 907 miles and could of done more but I got home.
I just don't see the ST as different other than being more dated, slower, and heavier feeling. 300 miles on it with or without a Corbin and helibars was enough for me to move on.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #695
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadShow View Post
So maybe the takeaway here is that sport touring is like obscenity. You can't define it, but you know it when you see it.
or ride it.

+1
IF Eric Clapton was God, Joe Bonamassa would be his Son.
richarddacat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #696
dentist, the
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Vfr 800

Howdy!

I'd like to join the sport touring club. Right now I'm riding a 2004 Sprint RS, but am thinking of buying a 2007 VFR800 ($6400 with less than 4k miles). Does anyone have opinions on this decision, and if the bike is a good deal?

The RS is great, but I'd like to try something new that's easy to do some touring on, is good on gas, but is still sporty (and fast). I'm afraid if I step down in engine size too much I'll start missing the power I have now.

Thanks in advance for sage advice!
dentist, the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #697
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentist, the View Post
Howdy!

I'd like to join the sport touring club. Right now I'm riding a 2004 Sprint RS, but am thinking of buying a 2007 VFR800 ($6400 with less than 4k miles). Does anyone have opinions on this decision, and if the bike is a good deal?

The RS is great, but I'd like to try something new that's easy to do some touring on, is good on gas, but is still sporty (and fast). I'm afraid if I step down in engine size too much I'll start missing the power I have now.

Um,,, The Triumph Sprint RS is a "sport-touring" motorcycle...
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #698
dentist, the
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Um,,, The Triumph Sprint RS is a "sport-touring" motorcycle...
Yes, I agree, thanks. I'm still interested in the VFR.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #699
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,408
I rode a ST1100 and a FJR1300 and all I can say is I sold the ST1100 quickly. I didn't want to ride the ST11 anymore

I also had a KTM950ADV too at the time which I toured on but wanted a bit more performance on pavement. But, if I was buying ST again I would get a 2013 FJR with no hesitation. Its hard to decide what to ride on a long trip some times, I love a good FJR blast up to some mountain roads 500 miles away. But, I also love a DS for long trips. The FJR sucks out west on dirt roads..

For me, I got tired of the ST11. Just wanted more performance and the ST13 felt too slow, hot and fat to me. But, I did like the comfort. It was actually better than the wing IMO. The FJR had enough performance to keep me entertained longer while still comfy after 600 miles with decent weather protection. Plenty fast for most things and big enough to be stable in bad weather.
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:02 AM   #700
Qaz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorTroy View Post
I guess these wankers have no idea what they are talking about then.......

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/2010AugGS.pdf
That would be my guess also, the wankers have no idea what they are talking about!
Qaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:07 AM   #701
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,871
Quote:
Howdy!

That price seems a little steep. Last year there were still some new VFR800s floating around for about 2K more than that. The market may have changed since I last explored it though.

Edit: Here's a new leftover. http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...ptor-107923772

But it looks like used ones are holding their value very well. There are some better deals though. http://www.cycletrader.com/New-Or-Us...ults&zip=70001

Dranrab Luap screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 07:14 AM
Dranrab Luap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #702
dentist, the
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
Edit: Here's a new leftover. http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...ptor-107923772

But it looks like used ones are holding their value very well. There are some better deals though. http://www.cycletrader.com/New-Or-Us...ults&zip=70001
Thanks for doing the research. The seller hasn't gotten back to me on whether his bike has ABS, but going through the listings it looks like a low mileage 2006/7 is in the $6500-7500 range. He's had the posting on CL twice over the last month and a half, and already reduced the price by $500 from first to second posting. Maybe I can talk him down under $6000 (especially if the bike doesn't have ABS).

Thanks again!
Old 02-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #703
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,178
Quote:
Thanks for doing the research. The seller hasn't gotten back to me on whether his bike has ABS, but going through the listings it looks like a low mileage 2006/7 is in the $6500-7500 range. He's had the posting on CL twice over the last month and a half, and already reduced the price by $500 from first to second posting. Maybe I can talk him down under $6000 (especially if the bike doesn't have ABS).

Thanks again!
I had a 2006 VFR and loved it. But once I started putting major mileage on my bike, I stepped up to an FJR. That being said, the VFR is a fantastic bike and there are times when I still wish I had mine.

I honestly don't remember what I paid for mine, but I don't think you'll regret buying one at $6K. Especially with only 4K miles on it. I'd still look for an ABS model, though. That's just me. YMMV.

There's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, then there's the truth!
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:33 PM   #704
N-Id-Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Howdy!

I have been riding a '08 VFR800 for 15000 miles, i bought it new as leftover from my local dealer 2 years ago, come May. I put the factory cases on it. It has been a huge improvement over my V-Strom 1000. The performance and handling is terrific for my needs, which is typically 3 to 5 day trips with camping off the bike. I tend to stick to the twisty 2-laners. But made one 90 mile stretch of SE Oregen desert in under an hour, so yea, it will haul the mail if you want. I diont know what you might be riding now, but you should try to get a test ride if yoiu can... everybody is different.
N-Id-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #705
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,548
Quote:
That would be my guess also, the wankers have no idea what they are talking about!
For the record, I sure don't consider a GS to be a sport tourer either! Great bike, capable of sport touring, but a sport tourer no way.
AviatorTroy is online now   Reply With Quote