Old 01-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #106
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieFox View Post
Waiting for an initial ride report
Did you keep the 990?
Unfortunately, I can't swing keeping the KTM, the DRZ, AND the new K13S, so it's currently on consignment with Ron Baird at Moto-Rado in Lakewood, CO

I had major fun on it and sorry to see it go, but the next owner will love it, too, I'm sure. I'm thinking my next KTM will be...

Freeride 350!

As far as the initial ride report on the K13S...

Short Version: WOW! FUKN' A!

Longer Version: I've done about 200 miles now... Twice up and down Golden Gate Canyon, up Coal Creek Canyon, Peak to Peak, and other various b-roads in my area and am very impressed with this motor. I've spent a fair amount of time ragging on BMW Motorrrad engineers and the weird shit they tend to do, but, holy moly, did they create an awesome powerplant in the K13S. At my current riding level, there is, effectively, NO upper limit!

Transmission: smooth as silk

I wasn't sure if I would ever own a drive shaft bike... especially one with the notorious BMW final drive. Some riders with much more experience and technical riding ability mention the low rpm lag and some chatter, but I don't... all I feel is smooth power transfer.

Handling: My bike has ABS/ASC/ESA (with HP Gear Shift Assist) and changing between the COMF-NORM-SPORT modes on the fly results in noticeable changes in the suspension. Having shift assist is handy, too... up-down shift w/o the clutch and w/o coming off the throttle... pretty cool and works smoothly.

All in all, I'm very happy so far. The PO did so much, there's not much left for me to do other than ride it. My only upcoming mods are a SW-Motech center stand and top rack (just ordered from Twisted Throttle).
A Few Past Bikes
: 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E | 2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure

Narsisco Lopez screwed with this post 01-28-2013 at 11:03 AM
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #107
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Hmmmm... I guess no K13S owners frequent this thread/forum? Nothing but crickets...
A Few Past Bikes
Old 02-11-2013, 05:43 PM   #108
Jetpilot5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
There's a few of us here. Glad to hear you're enjoying the bike. Waiting for winter to end here in the Midwest.
Jetpilot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #109
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Yeah, everything that needed to be written has been written already, and that is: greatest... bike.. EVAH! Thread is done.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:15 PM   #110
Barike
Spindly Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
Yeah, everything that needed to be written has been written already, and that is: greatest... bike.. EVAH! Thread is done.
Are you still enjoying your S1000RR?
Barike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:10 AM   #111
MikeJansen
Lost

Oddometer: 113
Still Longing

I was lucky enough to get to take a 5 hour test ride on a 2010 K1300S last May and have been trying to get the scratch together to pick one up. This weekend I am heading to the dealer to look at a '09 tricolor with 8,000 miles and see if I can get it to follow me home.

Wish me luck!

Mike
Old 02-14-2013, 08:21 AM   #112
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJansen View Post
I was lucky enough to get to take a 5 hour test ride on a 2010 K1300S last May and have been trying to get the scratch together to pick one up. This weekend I am heading to the dealer to look at a '09 tricolor with 8,000 miles and see if I can get it to follow me home.

Wish me luck!

Mike

Good luck! Hope it works out for you
A Few Past Bikes
Old 02-15-2013, 12:10 AM   #113
Cos
Re-Greekified

Oddometer: 10,422
From reading various reviews, i've never got any kind of notion of how the big K actually handles on real world twisty roads. It's like because of the styling of the bike there's always a "but" because it's not a race rep...which it isn't!!!

I ride a Daytona 955 which is "outdated" by most reviewers and spec sheet rider standards and she's still plenty fast and handles better than i can ride it on the street.

So from you actual owners...how does it handle?
Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:19 AM   #114
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos View Post
From reading various reviews, i've never got any kind of notion of how the big K actually handles on real world twisty roads. It's like because of the styling of the bike there's always a "but" because it's not a race rep...which it isn't!!!

I ride a Daytona 955 which is "outdated" by most reviewers and spec sheet rider standards and she's still plenty fast and handles better than i can ride it on the street.

I'm coming to the K13S directly from a KTM 990 Adventure, so my opinion may not be what you're looking for, but...

If you're looking for a track bike, the K13S isn't gonna be for you (look to the S1000RR instead... and be blown away). But, in my humble opinion, the K13S is a great canyon carver... snow and cold have been keeping me off it, but I've been able to put on about 200 mountain/canyon/twisty miles and am pretty impressed.

She ain't a light bike (approx. 560 wet), but she IS nimble for a bike with a 62" wheel base. The reviews of the front duolever suspension (1 central spring strut) are mixed (some say it doesn't give the rider enough feedback), but I find it pretty accurate and confidence-inspiring in the corners. Having the stability control and electronically-adjustable suspension (on the fly) is awesome and the changes are noticeable.

I bought mine to use as a long miles/road trip bike (but one that can handle twisties) and, so far, I'm happy with this decision. I'll let you know if I still feel that way after I've had a chance to take her down into Arizona and hit the Coronado Highway
A Few Past Bikes
Old 02-18-2013, 05:33 AM   #115
MikeJansen
Lost

Oddometer: 113
To Cos:
Coming from a DL for the last 50,000 miles the big K handles really well and for me, the front felt very planted on the twisty bumpy 'B' road I went down. Compared to the lap of the 'Ring I did on a borrowed R6 though. . . not quite as nimble. I kinda expected that, Though and at 6'2 210lbs I actually fit the K and don't even remotely fit the R6.

Unfortunately after talking to BMW finance this weekend I realized that I could afford a lightly used K1300S. Why is this a problem? I also realized that my wife could use the money even more for her helicopter pilots license.

So unless I get a fat raise soon, I will be staying on my '04 DL650 for the foreseeable future.

Mike
Old 02-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #116
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos View Post
I would say....'uneventful', although I'm not an actual owner. Extremely stable (as stable as it gets at speed), but slow turning which is expected with it having mega-enduro class rake, trail and even more so, wheelbase. It rides like a bmw if you know what I mean. Weird, but with plenty of character. The suspension philosophy is a thing to love and hate. Fantastic when you know there is some grip left, awful when you don't. At all times, the bike is supremely composed, which is also its demise, since it will not communicate what the wheels are doing when it counts. It is the weapon of choice if you like ridding the highways very very fast, in comfort and you have deep pockets. It is not the weapon of choice, if you want a 'grown-up' sport-bike, because it will not ride like one. I would say that amongst the japanesse company, the bmw feels like a sport-tourer on diet, while the others feel like exploded sport-bikes with creature comforts.

Pick your poison!

mousitsas screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 11:30 AM
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #117
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
I would say....'uneventful', although I'm not an actual owner. Extremely stable (as stable as it gets at speed), but slow turning which is expected with it having mega-enduro class rake, trail and even more so, wheelbase. It rides like a bmw if you know what I mean. Weird, but with plenty of character. The suspension philosophy is a thing to love and hate. Fantastic when you know there is some grip left, awful when you don't. At all times, the bike is supremely composed, which is also its demise, since it will not communicate what the wheels are doing when it counts. It is the weapon of choice if you like ridding the highways very very fast, in comfort and you have deep pockets. It is not the weapon of choice, if you want a 'grown-up' sport-bike, because it will not ride like one. I would say that amongst the japanesse company, the bmw feels like a sport-tourer on diet, while the others feel like exploded sport-bikes with creature comforts.

Pick your poison!

You just said you're not an actual owner, so how can you possibly make these statements? From just one test ride or from regurgitating YouTube.com reviews?

Jeez...

A Few Past Bikes
Old 02-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #118
gimpy9195
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 808
New owner

Well, new owner here. Upgraded from my K12R. Bought it new a month ago and got 2500 on the clock so far. Already wore into the tank with the knees on my suit. GripTechSpecsTERS in the mail.

Only scared myself once so far, grabbed too much throttle cause I though I was in second after making a u-turn. opps.

and the picture...
gimpy9195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:20 PM   #119
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narsisco Lopez View Post
You just said you're not an actual owner, so how can you possibly make these statements? From just one test ride or from regurgitating YouTube.com reviews?

Jeez...

Yes, I know, you couldn't help it, someone is wrong on the internet .
I guess that if you really wanted to know you would be a little bit more civilised
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:38 PM   #120
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
can't comment on a k13s

but my k12s

will scratch with the best of them

no moments on it in 8 yrs

but plenty of mistakes by me

wrong speed etc into a corner no problems
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote