ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #1
jdbski OP
old but getting younger
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Oddometer: 443
Rear drive rebuild cost 2005 r1200gs 40,000 miles?

I have to get my drive rebuilt as it puked its gear oil recently. I think I stopped before causing too much damage but who knows. Anyway has anybody had their drive rebuilt and if so how much did it cost?

Thanks,
Jb

jdbski screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 09:21 PM
jdbski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: The Badlands (of NJ)
Oddometer: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbski View Post
I have to get my drive rebuilt as it puked its gear oil recently. I think I stopped before causing too much damage but who knows. Anyway has anybody had their drive rebuilt and if so how much did it cost?

Thanks,
Jb
Puked oil? That means that likely only a seal went. If you are lucky, no mechanicals failed and you are not facing high costs.

There are several items that could fail, so the cost will vary. If you are very lucky, it is the big seal on the side of the FD (surrounding the opening) - a not uncommon issue on the R12GS. This is very inexpensive, you just pop out the bad one and knock a new one in. Even I could do that... (Though I paid the dealer a bit under $200 four years ago, when my '06 GS had about 38k on the odometer).

Other seals are much more elaborate. Before asking for costs, you'll need to determine what happened.
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:34 AM   #3
Dan Căta
Beastly Adventurer
 
Dan Căta's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Cluj, Romania
Oddometer: 1,552
+1 replace the seal, check for wheel play at 9-3 and 12-6. In case there is none, ride it and check again periodically.

Dan.
Dan Căta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
jdbski OP
old but getting younger
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker View Post
Puked oil? That means that likely only a seal went. If you are lucky, no mechanicals failed and you are not facing high costs.

There are several items that could fail, so the cost will vary. If you are very lucky, it is the big seal on the side of the FD (surrounding the opening) - a not uncommon issue on the R12GS. This is very inexpensive, you just pop out the bad one and knock a new one in. Even I could do that... (Though I paid the dealer a bit under $200 four years ago, when my '06 GS had about 38k on the odometer).

Other seals are much more elaborate. Before asking for costs, you'll need to determine what happened.
Good to know. I suspect something had to have happened to a bearing somewhere as i got a wobbly feeling when it went, which is why i pulled over to inspect everything in the first place. The potential good news is that i did not find any metal in the fluid that i removed when i took it off the bike. and only minor stuff attached to the speed sensor too.

So the dealer has it and will call when he cracks it open. I will post the outcome when i hear the news.
Thanks,
jb
jdbski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
jdbski OP
old but getting younger
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Oddometer: 443
Got the word today it's going to cost 850 all in for seals and bearings
Figure it could have been a lot worse. Can't wait to try it out.
jdbski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #6
Final Drive
Adventurer
 
Final Drive's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Novato, CA
Oddometer: 49
Any warning before it went? Did you wobble / check for play after the seal gave way? Just interested to learn all I can since I too have an '05.
Final Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:35 AM   #7
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: The Badlands (of NJ)
Oddometer: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbski View Post
Got the word today it's going to cost 850 all in for seals and bearings. Figure it could have been a lot worse. Can't wait to try it out.
Considering that they had to open the housing (based on your note), you got away cheap. Enjoy the ride!
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #8
jdbski OP
old but getting younger
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Final Drive View Post
Any warning before it went? Did you wobble / check for play after the seal gave way? Just interested to learn all I can since I too have an '05.
i felt a wobble at low speed on the pavement. I thought i had a flat tire, felt just like it. (i have had a few rear flats over the years)

And when i stopped i had oil all over the rear wheel and tire.

jb
jdbski is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014