Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
gtj OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Montana 650 - Loss Satellite Reception

Hi There,

I recently purchased the City Navigator and loaded it into my Montana 650 for use on my motorcycle.
The problem I am encountering is that I commonly get the "Lost Satellite Reception" message from the unit. There is a wide open view of the sky. The error seems to mainly occur after making a turn and accelerating whereby the pointer heads off at an angle kind of bisected by the road turned onto and the original direction, then the error message shows up. It takes a km or two before re-establishing the satellites and showing proper progression on the unit. I have never encountered this problem before while using the unit for hiking, kayaking or on my ATV, although these uses would be at lower speeds.

Anyone else experience a similar fault?
Any suggestions?

Thanking You In Avance,
Glenn
gtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
I'm guessing here, but it sounds like you might have a loose receiver in the unit. I seem to remember someone earlier have this issue & repair it, but I think they were maybe in a remote location.

I'd call Garmin Support in Canada 1-866-429-9296 it's usually fast connecting & log your problem.
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtj View Post
Hi There,

I recently purchased the City Navigator and loaded it into my Montana 650 for use on my motorcycle.
The problem I am encountering is that I commonly get the "Lost Satellite Reception" message from the unit. There is a wide open view of the sky. The error seems to mainly occur after making a turn and accelerating whereby the pointer heads off at an angle kind of bisected by the road turned onto and the original direction, then the error message shows up. It takes a km or two before re-establishing the satellites and showing proper progression on the unit. I have never encountered this problem before while using the unit for hiking, kayaking or on my ATV, although these uses would be at lower speeds.

Any suggestions?

Thanking You In Avance,
Glenn
I've never had that kind of problem but my wife's 650 lost its antenna connection internally once, and we needed to send it in under warranty for replacement. The antenna problem we had was not intermittent. It was no longer receiving a signal unless we connected an external antenna.

Is your Montana getting interference from other electronics on your bike, or do you have multiple maps enabled, causing a slowdown?
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 7,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Is your Montana getting interference from other electronics on your bike, or do you have multiple maps enabled, causing a slowdown?
If you use a XM radio or radar detector, these devices can sometimes cause interference if they are next to the GPS.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #5
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
If you use a XM radio or radar detector, these devices can sometimes cause interference if they are next to the GPS.
Wouldn't be a radar detector, that's for sure. Ontario has strict laws against their use.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 506
Quote:
Hi There,

Any suggestions?

Thanking You In Avance,
Glenn

Check this post........it might help: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=798472
Old 02-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #7
gtj OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I've never had that kind of problem but my wife's 650 lost its antenna connection internally once, and we needed to send it in under warranty for replacement. The antenna problem we had was not intermittent. It was no longer receiving a signal unless we connected an external antenna.

Mine is just intermittent as described.
Only have the City Navigator enabled when used on the motorcycle.
?
Old 02-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #8
gtj OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
No XM radio.
No radar detector. OPP (Ontario Police) take them and ticket you for having those.
I do have a Scala Rider with Bluetooth connection to my cell phone. Could this be causing any interference?
Old 02-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #9
gtj OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMtnSea View Post
Check this post........it might help: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=798472
Thanks for this link. Very well done "hardening" description!
I will keep this in mind.

FWIW - BTW I get out to SK occassionally, as my daughter lives there. Close to Edam.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:50 AM   #10
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,375
Quote:
The problem I am encountering is that I commonly get the "Lost Satellite Reception" message from the unit. There is a wide open view of the sky.
Where on the bike do you have the gps mounted?

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #11
gtj OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post
Where on the bike do you have the gps mounted?
AMPS rugged mount on the handlebar center between riser clamps
Old 02-12-2013, 02:42 AM   #12
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,375
Quote:
AMPS rugged mount on the handlebar center between riser clamps
Then you should be getting decent signal most all of the time.

I'd suggest calling Garmin for a tech consult and likely a warranty claim. Without any obstructions, you shouldn't be losing signal like that.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:15 AM   #13
gtj OP
Adventurer

Just an update.
I did contact Garmin with regards to this issue, but they didn't have any suggestions. Just said if it continues to happen, that I may have to send the unit in to be looked at.
As mentioned previously, I do have a Scala intercomm system. Yesterday while riding, I encountered the frequent loss of satellite reception messages and odd tracking lines on the GPS (Montana 650t) over a 2 hour stent, as described earlier.
I turned the Scala Rider off while riding and behold, perfect tracking and no loss of of reception with the GPS performing beautifully for 1-1/2 hours. It seems the ScalaRider is in some way causing the interference problem.
I do have the Scala Rider "bluetoothed" to my Samsung Android phone.
I may try to remove the BT connection and test it again to see if the BT is causing the problem by itself. I am not optimistic with this, though as other Garmin products run BT successfully.
Any one else running a Scala Rider G9 with a Montana 6XX successfully?
Old 03-05-2013, 06:17 AM   #14
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Just an update.
I did contact Garmin with regards to this issue, but they didn't have any suggestions. Just said if it continues to happen, that I may have to send the unit in to be looked at.
As mentioned previously, I do have a Scala intercomm system. Yesterday while riding, I encountered the frequent loss of satellite reception messages and odd tracking lines on the GPS (Montana 650t) over a 2 hour stent, as described earlier.
I turned the Scala Rider off while riding and behold, perfect tracking and no loss of of reception with the GPS performing beautifully for 1-1/2 hours. It seems the ScalaRider is in some way causing the interference problem.
I may try to remove the BT connection and test it again to see if the BT is causing the problem by itself. I am not optimistic with this, though as other Garmin products run BT successfully.
My wife and I use our Scala G4 intercoms with no problem at all on the Montanas.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #15
gtj OP
Adventurer

Thumbs down

Quote:
Just an update.
Update:

I did a 2 hour ride and experimented with the Scala Rider G9 turned off and the Montana functioned perfectly. As soon as I turned the Scala Rider on, the Montana GPS acted up with poor tracking, incorrect navigation and Loss of satellite reception. I also gave a go at (i) having the Bluetooth function on my phone turned off and (ii) the phone itself turned off with the Scala Rider left on in the previous two scenarios, but the GPS still acted up in these circumstances.

Unfortunately, I have to assume the Scala Rider G9 and Montana 650t are incompatible in my setup?