Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #31
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,545
Now I'd have to say that looks like a pretty good sport tourer for the money!

http://www.motorcyclemojo.com/2010/0...ki-gsx1250sea/

I wasn't a fan when they first came out and they tried to make it look like a gixxer with that light blue and white squid paint job but the new ones defiantly look like something a grownup can ride and not look ridiculous. :)
AviatorTroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #32
Harry'O
Vespa 50

Oddometer: 42
Reiterating all

I have a 2007 1250s (naked). Great mpg, loads of torque, seriously underworked engine, faster than you think, not for two up, sloppy in tight turns, only OK looks. Overall a great buy.
My buddy has the N1K. I'd take that bike any day too. Better handling and looks and better feel in the brakes. Much more money though (unless talking about the overpriced FA model). I'm really happy with the Bandit and living in Florida it's great. If you haven't been to FL, skip it. Well, come once for a visit but past that its all long, flat, straight lines. Boooooorrrrrrrriiiiinnnnnngggggg. Perfect for a V-twin and a semi sport tourer like the Bandit.
Harry'O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #33
jub jub
frumiousbandersnatch

Oddometer: 11,721
Just won one of off eBay. It's a 2011 with 256 miles. Guy said he just didn't like it. Oh well, we'll see if it was a good purchase. I'll pick it up this Saturday.
jub jub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #34
superkram
Church parking lot rider

Oddometer: 136
Really liked the '11 GSX1250FA I tried out at a local BMW dealer, but didn't like the price or hit I would've had to take on my FJR as a trade-in. A Sargent seat was the only mod... it felt great, like a cross between the FJR and the FZ1 on my limited test ride.

Then went and rode a farkled '07 a week later with similar Givi/Suzuki luggage. I can't put my finger on it, but I didn't like the ride, my left foot felt cramped between the footpeg and clutch. Granted, I normally ride with cowboy boots and was wearing a new pair of running shoes that day. The price was great, but I walked away feeling confused about the difference between the '07 and '11 models I rode.
superkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #35
Jeffn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
GL with the near new '11-was watching that one also. Give a full ride report!
Jeffn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #36
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry'O View Post
I'm really happy with the Bandit and living in Florida it's great. If you haven't been to FL, skip it. Well, come once for a visit but past that its all long, flat, straight lines. Boooooorrrrrrrriiiiinnnnnngggggg. Perfect for a V-twin and a semi sport tourer like the Bandit.
Agreed... I rigged mine for touring 2-up and it works perfectly.

-Jake
Old 02-12-2013, 06:16 AM   #37
jub jub
frumiousbandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffn View Post
GL with the near new '11-was watching that one also. Give a full ride report!
I sent my $500.00 deposit right after the auction ended. Sent him a message about when I would like to pick it up and how he wants payment. I have yet to get a response. Hoping he is just slow at responding.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #38
jub jub
frumiousbandersnatch

My GSX1250FA is parked in my garage. I drove it 450 miles home so I Have some comments about it.

More to follow when I have time. Initial impression is what a great bike, especially for the money.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #39
Jeffn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Kudos & mahzeltov!
Jeffn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:06 PM   #40
ArmSC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
I really like the way those bikes look...but then again I like the way the stroms look too. Grsts on the new bike!

"Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens."
ArmSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:58 AM   #41
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by jub jub View Post
My GSX1250FA is parked in my garage. I drove it 450 miles home so I Have some comments about it.

More to follow when I have time. Initial impression is what a great bike, especially for the money.

I don't see a picture.
No picture = no bike purchase.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #42
jub jub
frumiousbandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post

I don't see a picture.
No picture = no bike purchase.
True...so, here she be!

My 04 Bandito. Wife says it has to go.

The two having some "quiet" time together.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #43
jub jub
frumiousbandersnatch

Okay, let me get the negatives out of the way first. There are two things I do not like about this bike. First of all, the windscreen! It is too small! Consequently, you get blasted in the head, serious head turbulence! Ducking down behind the windscreen doesn't seem to help, in fact it's gets worse. Don't ask me why, I could never find a happy place except if I sat straight up and erect. This position seemed to help, but not much. BTW, I'm 6' 1" and I have a 30" inseam. My torso is somewhat longer than normal and I assume this exacerbates the problem even more.

Secondly, the mirrors, they have to be a carry over from the Gixers which means they are too short for the 1250FA. All I can see is the inside of my elbows and if I want to see who's behind me, I have to take my hand off the grip and pull my arm in the opposite direction. If a cop were ever to decide to pull me over he would have to pull along side of me or give me a whelp from the siren. Longer stalked mirrors would be an improvement. My 04 does not have this problem.

Now the good. The engine! That 1250 cc power plant is sooooooo smooth you hardly know it's running. Thank god it has a tach otherwise you would never know when to shift. The power band is very linear. It makes power from idle all the way to redline which is 9500 RPM. Actually, I think the torque starts to fall off around 7500 RPM. I never felt the need to take it much above 5000 to get the job done. The engine just pulls and pulls. Having the sixth gear is nice as well and lowers the RPM at cruise, but not by much. My 04 at 70 MPH is turning 4000 RPM, the GSX at 70 MPH is turning slightly less at around 3750. Not much of a reduction but the engine does seem more relaxed.

The bike handles extremely well for a standard. It has a neutral feeling when entering turns and inspires confidence, more so than my 04 Bandit. There were a couple of places on my way back home that I was able to lean the bike at a pretty steep angle with confidence.

The suspension seems decent. The best I have ever experienced on a bike, better than the 04. That experience is pretty limited though because all my street bikes have been the plain Jane types. I have never owned a true sport bike with upside down forks.

Fuel mileage wasn't very good. I averaged about 35-40 MPG. Of course the bike is still being broke in so the MPG might improve with mileage.

Seating position is good and the seat is better than the Corbin I have on the 04. The 7 hour long ride did not induce that much fatigue thankfully.

I love the fuel injection! No more having to choke the bike on cold start-up. The GSX seems to have the fuel mapping pretty well sorted as I never experienced any surging or lean stumble, from start-up to full operating temperature!

To say I'm pleased would be an understatement! The only thing left to do is to get a taller wind screen and maybe some longer, or different mirrors and she'll be perfect.

jub jub screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 12:48 PM
Old 02-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #44
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by jub jub View Post
Okay, let me get the negatives out of the way first. There are two things I do not like about this bike. First of all, the windscreen! It is too small! Consequently, you get blasted in the head, serious head turbulence! Ducking down behind the windscreen doesn't seem to help, in fact it's gets worse. Don't ask me why, I could never find a happy place except if I sat straight up and erect. This position seemed to help, but not much. BTW, I'm 6' 1" and I have a 30" inseam. My torso is somewhat longer than normal and I assume this exacerbates the problem even more.

Secondly, the mirrors, they have to be a carry over from the Gixers which means they are too short for the 1250FA. All I can see is the inside of my elbows and if I want to see who's behind me, I have to take my hand off the grip and pull my arm in the opposite direction. If a cop were ever to decide to pull me over he would have to pull along side of me or give me a whelp from the siren. Longer stalked mirrors would be an improvement. My 04 does not have this problem.

Now the good. The engine! That 1250 cc power plant is sooooooo smooth you hardly know it's running. Thank god it has a tach otherwise you would never know when to shift. The power band is very linear. It makes power from idle all the way to redline which is 9500 RPM. Actually, I think the torque starts to fall off around 7500 RPM. I never felt the need to take it much above 5000 to get the job done. The engine just pulls and pulls. Having the sixth gear is nice as well and lowers the RPM at cruise, but not by much. My 04 at 70 MPH is turning 4000 RPM, the GSX at 70 MPH is turning slightly less at around 3750. Not much of a reduction but the engine does seem more relaxed.

The bike handles extremely well for a standard. It has a neutral feeling when entering turns and inspires confidence, more so than my 04 Bandit. There were a couple of places on my way back home that I was able to lean the bike at a pretty steep angle with confidence.

The suspension seems decent. The best I have ever experienced on a bike, better than the 04. That experience is pretty limited though because all my street bikes have been the plain Jane types. I have never owned a true sport bike with upside down forks.

Fuel mileage wasn't very good. I averaged about 35-40 MPG. Of course the bike is still being broke in so the MPG might improve with mileage.

Seating position is good and the seat is better than the Corbin I have on the 04. The 7 hour long ride did not induce that much fatigue thankfully.

I love the fuel injection! No more having to choke the bike on cold start-up. The GSX seems to have the fuel mapping pretty well sorted as I never experienced any surging or lean stumble, from start-up to full operating temperature!

To say I'm pleased would be an understatement! The only thing left to do is to get a taller wind screen and maybe some longer, or different mirrors and she'll be perfect.
All the same gripes I had. New screen and mirror extensions solved the big two. The mpg was terrible and I know I had fueling issues. It was under warranty (bought it used, but near new) and my local dealer told me 3 months out for a look. After fighting that for too long I surrendered and traded it for a new leftover Sprint 1050ABS.

I miss both bikes a lot.
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #45
jub jub
frumiousbandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones View Post
All the same gripes I had. New screen and mirror extensions solved the big two. The mpg was terrible and I know I had fueling issues. It was under warranty (bought it used, but near new) and my local dealer told me 3 months out for a look. After fighting that for too long I surrendered and traded it for a new leftover Sprint 1050ABS.

I miss both bikes a lot.
I'm going to hang on to the bandit for a while just in case I can't get these issues resolved. The bandit is good in all aspects except for the suspension. It will beat the crap out of you on a bumpy road.