Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 07:16 AM   #19006
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
people are also the #1 reason for fighting global warming, protesting wars, fighting pollution, proper lane courtesy, fast cars, motorcycles, blissful orgasms, etc...

i, personally, believe the human population has way exceeded its carrying capacity and it's only a matter of time for the j-curve correction to kick in. now, it seems those who perceive the seriousness of the issues facing humanity - the intelligent ones - are those who should be reproducing and are not. the ignorant masses are going at it like there's no tomorrow. and there wery well may not be. at least for the humans. but mebbe my thoughts are a product of my ethnocentric bias. regardless, mother nature knows best...

doug s.
You have seen the movie Idiocracy, yes?

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:29 AM   #19007
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague View Post
You have seen the movie Idiocracy, yes?
uh yes, unfortunately i did. it seems the ignorance of the future is already here; thus the making of that movie... it reminded me of that "people of walmart" website...

doug s.

doug s. screwed with this post 02-12-2013 at 07:29 AM Reason: why not?
doug s. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:45 AM   #19008
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
Ah, I forgot. Only HD riders lay 'er down.

Maybe "criminal" was the wrong word, but if that little girl was riding in the back of a pickup truck, the police would ticket the driver. Different standards, I know.

I just can't fathom a parent putting their child at risk, albeit a "remote chance" of risk, of severe physical harm if they do go down.

Maybe I'm thinking about this wrong.
You aren't. I look at that picture and see the possible consequences of their actions. Not something I would want to live with. Other folks see the risk differently.

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:48 AM   #19009
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
I don't have a problem with riding if you have kids. I know people on both sides of that debate, and I don't fault them for their choice, either way. I can see both sides of the issue.

Also, I'm not against taking kids as passengers on bikes.

But to choose not to mitigate their risk (ATGATT) in case of a crash... that just seems wrong. Maybe not criminal, but that woman just isn't thinking of the possible consequences.

The photo just instinctively made me cringe. First glance, gut reaction, it seemed wrong.
Sorry but it's not your kid and, as long as it's legal, it's none of your business. Just like it's nobody else's business if you take a kid riding ATGATT - which lots of folks would still disapprove of.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #19010
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Yup. People do get to be stupid and teach kids stupid things. I see it all the time. At daycare, picking up my kid, I see parents whip into the parking lot way too fast. Other kids in the front seat, nobody has seatbelts on, smoking in the car...
But hey, I load my kid in the sidecar and put a helmet on her (and jacket, gloves..) and I'm the strange one...
Actually had the daycare admin ask me if it was legal...
Her feet touch and she has a helmet. It's legal. She was 6 at the time.
I do take the back roads because I haven't gone faster than 50mph with her in the rig yet. Building up to the speed. I want it to be fun, not frightening. She will tell me when she is ready to go faster.
But yeah, other people seem not to be concerned about their own kids, so why should I? I have my own kid to attend to.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:17 AM   #19011
Easterner
Just Landed

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSequoia View Post
I, for one, view it at irresponsible to have children.

I've learned that lesson...Twice now...Now wonder I never get to go on moto trips.

I could see examples of that to agree with you.
Easterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #19012
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
I think we're raising a generation of kids who don't know how to live. I see it everyday in the Army. The young guys coming in grew up on padded playgrounds, anti-bacterial everything, and pads for every activity on wheels. In short, they're a bunch of pussies and we have to retrain them to accept risk.

BTW, I'm currently deployed and recently found out I'm required to take "motorcycle refresher training" before I'm allowed to ride again.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #19013
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,645
You can make memories that last a lifetime, or you can let them watch "SpongeBob" all day. The SpongeBob kids will probably never get hurt.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #19014
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post

BTW, I'm currently deployed and recently found out I'm required to take "motorcycle refresher training" before I'm allowed to ride again.
I just got done with my 3 year refresher training on Friday. Just another hoop to jump through.
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:31 AM   #19015
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
Sorry but it's not your kid and, as long as it's legal, it's none of your business. Just like it's nobody else's business if you take a kid riding ATGATT - which lots of folks would still disapprove of.

My first time on a motorcycle it was my next door neighbor and no one had anything, no shoes, no shirts, no helmets.....

Four years old.

Oddly people no only survived those days, they multiplied, exponentially.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:58 AM   #19016
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,856
COME ON SPRINGTIME!!!!!!

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:41 AM   #19017
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riteris View Post
It can't be in Europe. Europe is far from The Dragon. This is a thread about The Dragon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skowinski View Post
Are there any pictures of people fucking up on the Dragon in this thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Apparently not.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:52 AM   #19018
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,658

Does he really need his knee out if he's not even close to being able to have his knee down?

Now correct me if I'm wrong (which is frequently) but don't you have your knee down to feel the road/tarmac and to help you judge your lean angle?

Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected expected?
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #19019
Tim_Tom
Riding an' Wrenching

Oddometer: 211
Quote:

Does he really need his knee out if he's not even close to being able to have his knee down?

Now correct me if I'm wrong (which is frequently) but don't you have your knee down to feel the road/tarmac and to help you judge your lean angle?
In the simplest, most non-argumentative way I can, having more of your body weight to the inside of the corner will reduce the amount of lean angle required to steer around a given corner. Therefore while his knee is stuck way out, notice how his upper body and head are moving though the corner. Effectively reducing the required lean angle in the corner. A reduced lean angle means not only do you have a larger contact patch, but also allows to be harder on the throttle when exiting the corner.

He is doing it right. It's the guys who just stick their knee out to scrape it, but whose head and upper body are to the outside of the corner who do it wrong.
Tim_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #19020
NCStephen
Riding NC

Oddometer: 2,931
Quote:

Good point.. When you truly shift your butt over and have a good full cheek off the seat and torso over the mirror, your shoulders open to the curve, hips square with bike or open a little to curve, leading with elbow, toes up on the peg, the knee just needs a place to be and sticks out all most without thought. It would be somewhat awkward to me to try and push the knee back in. You can do it by pushing your knee forward, which rotates your hip against the curve and tends to put your torso back towards the body of the bike. You then have to make more effort to rotate torso against how the hips are. It does tend to move weight a bit more forward however if you are needing that. Still it is more work for me to do all those twists, so the knee just sticks out almost naturally from this square or open alignment of hips and shoulder/torso and butt off the seat. Try practicing it on a chair and see where you knee goes.

NCS
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Give a holler, get a smile.

NCStephen screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 12:21 PM
NCStephen is online now   Reply With Quote