Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-12-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
zigyphoto OP
Pay attention

Oddometer: 899
Nyt article on aging riders / accidents

read the rules before posting this, so apologies if still not congruent, but i believe it is simply something to share:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0...riders-beware/

note the photo is a stock image... but the rider and ridee probably look that way all the time; why use that jerk and jerkette when there are many of us who don't ride like that? It just proves to the ignorant reader what fools motorcyclists can be...

scroll down to the readers' comments; some interesting ones, and one moron in particular that i responded to with a manly GS rider's indignation:

mrpoizun hot springs:

One thing's for sure; figures never lie, but liars always figure. For every study that says older riders have more accidents, there are ten that say younger riders have more accidents. Older riders ride in cruising mode. They just putter around on their hogs, enjoy the scenery and are always on the lookout for a place that has a bigger tenderloin than the last place. Younger riders, on the other hand, ride crotch rockets that will go 180mph and they're always looking for a long enough stretch of road to get there. Why do you suppose insurance rates are so much lower for older riders with much more expensive bikes?

and i responded:

mrpoizun wrote: "Older riders ride in cruising mode. They just putter around on their hogs, enjoy the scenery and are always on the lookout for a place that has a bigger tenderloin than the last place."

M, from the above, i doubt you ride (or even "putter").

I'm 65, and in the recent past years have -- to use your terminology -- "puttered around" NZ (twice), Tasmania, all over the US West many times, to AK (twice), to and around BC (2-3 times. most recently August 2012), and this year will be in Iceland -- on my BMW GS. Not once have I spent any time looking for a steak. Not all of us "putter," and I NEVER ride anywhere near those types of clowns, especially ones like the one featured in the stock image used for the article.

However, as a former MSF Rider Coach, I agree that those who "putter around" as you described are EXACTLY the ones who get slammed; they don't spend enough time truly riding to keep up their skills. They get on their machines, go cruise to show off and pay the price. As small as Boulder is, I don't cruise around town, and when I take off on a long trip the first day is spent constantly monitoring myself even more than usual to see if there is any way I'm putting myself at risk by not being up to my usual skill level.

I used to tell my MSF students that riding anywhere is a tiny bit like what I imagine WWII air combat used to be: constant threat elimination. That car coming up to intersection: he sees me and has stopped? -- OK. The car with the turn signal on -- is he really turning? -- OK. and so forth.

Lesson: pay attention and stay alive. It's kept me safe since I started riding in 1989.
zigyphoto is offline   Reply With Quote