Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #15766
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel77 View Post
I've been trying to figure out how to fit a 5 Litre Jerry can both sides beside the tank. Now I see that I've got make an additional subframe.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #15767
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
I have ridden one and they're absolutely horrible.

I stopped reading right there and was wondering if it was the bike or the blonde that you rode. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #15768
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
I have ridden one and they're absolutely horrible. The vibration through the handlebars is enough to give you white finger. It was like there was someone hitting the handlebars HARD with a hammer.
On top of that it was gutless and the mpg readout never got above 40mpg.
Same day I also rode the Dorsoduro. Now that was a real hoot but still very thirsty.
The bike AND the girl for $14K? Thats a hell of a deal. The girl I have has cost me waaaaayyyyyyy more than $14K and she didn't come with a bike.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #15769
Solace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure boy View Post
Whats the high mileage of the tigers on here how do they fair on mileage ?? mine is coming up on 10K miles its a 2011 XC what mileage you guys got ????
I got my new Tiger 800 in September. Did 7,000 miles the first two months, then we got to winter and I haven't ridden it in a while. Just put new tires on it so it's ready to go. I went ahead with the TKC80's. Hopefully this weekend is decent around here so I'm gonna get it out for first ride of the new year.

I'm planning to do 100,000 miles the first 5 years. I expect my maintenance will consist of oil changes and tires. The motor is great and will last a long time with routine care.

Later,
M
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:43 AM   #15770
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,515
Quote:
Whats the high mileage of the tigers on here how do they fair on mileage ?? mine is coming up on 10K miles its a 2011 XC what mileage you guys got ????
Bought mine in June 2011 and had 12000 miles after 4 months. Now has 18000 miles up no problems apart from the recalls. Expecting it to do an awful lot more.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #15771
PirateDunk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
45,000km and the bike has been in the shop for over a week waiting for a new gear selector shaft assembly because I've apparently been too rough changing gears and something has bent.

Not seen the offending item yet but I smell BS.

Had the gear return spring changed about 7,000km ago under recall.
PirateDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:01 AM   #15772
DennyMyBoy
Hoping for a Tiger

Oddometer: 34
My new 2012 Tiger 800xc is fully prepped, waxed, and ready for me to pick up as soon as the weather and my schedule allows. Am very eager to bring it home, and for spring to arrive!

For a 2012 model what recalls will this bike be effected by? I've heard there may be some. Is that something a dealer will automatically take care of before delivery, or should I specifically ask?

Anything else I should be on the lookout for or check on at time of delivery?
Thank you!

Photos will follow official delivery of bike!
DennyMyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #15773
Mikehusa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Had the stepper motor replaced under warranty at about 8,000 miles. Would not idle. Was told the new one is an improved version that is not as susceptible to dirt and debris, that was determined to be the issue which I can't argue since about half those miles were in the desert. No other problems. I am going to bring it in for the 12,000 mile valve check instead of doing it myself since I bought the 5 yr warranty. I don't want any reasons for my warranty to be void. Very happy with this motorcycle.
Mikehusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:30 AM   #15774
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyMyBoy View Post
My new 2012 Tiger 800xc is fully prepped, waxed, and ready for me to pick up as soon as the weather and my schedule allows. Am very eager to bring it home, and for spring to arrive!

For a 2012 model what recalls will this bike be effected by? I've heard there may be some. Is that something a dealer will automatically take care of before delivery, or should I specifically ask?

Thank you!

The '12 model is ready to go, no recalls or TSB's. Get on it and ride.

Of all the accessories available, the centerstand is the absolute must-have in my eyes. Chain and tire maint are the reasons.
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #15775
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:

Thank you!

By law, the dealer has to perform any recall fixes before they can sell the bike so any recalls affecting your bike should have them all done. But personally I don't take any ones word and check my vin myself. If you see any outstanding recalls, the dealer should have paperwork/work orders showing they were done.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #15776
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
By law, the dealer has to perform any recall fixes before they can sell the bike so any recalls affecting your bike should have them all done. But personally I don't take any ones word and check my vin myself. If you see any outstanding recalls, the dealer should have paperwork/work orders showing they were done.
Quote:
There's a specific area on the pre-delivery checklist pertaining to recalls/updates. Be sure to look for it on the form, before signing it. Also, ask, to be sure they were done. You can't trust anyone.

I'd recommend buying the factory service manual. When you get it, completely go over every nut and bolt you can get to, making sure they're properly torqued. The person doing the assembly/setup, at/for the dealership, isn't always the most detail-oriented, as many times a third party company does that for them. Obviously, you'll need 3/8" and 1/2" torque wrenches. I'd, also, recommend going over those same bolts, at every oil change. I've found, the triple makes some harmonics that have a tendency to loosen bolts on the lower, left side of the engine. On the 1050s, it applies to the oil pan, too. If you ride two-up, or carry loads/ luggage, be sure to regularly check the subframe bolts.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:06 PM   #15777
rkclm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Just fitted Holan crash bars. They fit perfect and look great. Thanks to Jason at ADV Motorrad. Now just need a little less snow on the roads. Does anyone know of a video showing complete air filter replacement?
rkclm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #15778
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikehusa View Post
Had the stepper motor replaced under warranty at about 8,000 miles. Would not idle. Was told the new one is an improved version that is not as susceptible to dirt and debris,
Seems like that should be a recall for all of us that do the old wd40 squirt every once in awhile. Not that it's that big of a deal, just kinda annoying is all. Triumph should fix the problem for good. I'm gonna duck now
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:35 AM   #15779
Hulley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Tiger 800 XC GTG?

This may seem like a dumb question but what the hell, its the internet right?

I've narrowed my bike purchase to two different bikes with the Tiger 800 XC at the top of the list. This bike will be used for main transportation (still have a truck for the nasty/lazy days) and some mild off-roading, think day-tripping. Will this bike need any mods in the beginning or is it GTG? Other than bags obviously, are there some stock components that are considered weak and should be replaced before they break and cause more damage? I am an experienced rider but new to adventure bikes. I've been riding motocross and street bikes for 35yrs but never a big dirtbike! Pretty excited actually!
Hulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:39 AM   #15780
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulley View Post
This may seem like a dumb question but what the hell, its the internet right?

I've narrowed my bike purchase to two different bikes with the Tiger 800 XC at the top of the list. This bike will be used for main transportation (still have a truck for the nasty/lazy days) and some mild off-roading, think day-tripping. Will this bike need any mods in the beginning or is it GTG? Other than bags obviously, are there some stock components that are considered weak and should be replaced before they break and cause more damage? I am an experienced rider but new to adventure bikes. I've been riding motocross and street bikes for 35yrs but never a big dirtbike! Pretty excited actually!
Skid plate and hand guards for any type of offroading. Other than that, just ride.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote