Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #3166
gaw777
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Easton EXP 1 3/8"

Anyone installed these bars?
I have a set with Easton clamps.
What issues will I have with these bars, if any?

Any insite and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #3167
Alexp87
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk5mike View Post
Yup this where I am picking mine up this Saturday I got it for under 5000$ all said and done ready to ride home. Can't wait.
Awesome! I hope they have more than one in stock. I'm hoping to do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemarktumalo View Post
Or... drive a few hours south to Oregon and pay less than $5000 out the door. We have no sales tax here. I paid $4950 including Oregon tags and registration. Not sure what WA requires in that realm. I think Oregon and Washington have a deal where they respect the other state. I bought my BMW f800ST in Washington a few years ago. Again, no sales tax. Good luck.
I'm pretty sure that once it's registered in WA, tax would still have to be paid. Otherwise everyone would buy their car in Oregon. I'll have to check into that though.
Alexp87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:42 AM   #3168
Rad_Leo
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaw777 View Post

I installed the Easton bars. Fairly simple process, just remember to remove the guide pegs in the inside of the controls. I don't recall any issues with cable length, but the throttle cables are a little tight when the wheelis turned to the left.

I know that there have been some concerns about mounting difficulties with the 1 3/8 size bars, I just superglued industrial Velcro to the Easton pad and my rugged phone case, and it doesn't budge

Rad_Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:29 AM   #3169
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
hi Mike, welcome here. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwoodcock View Post
Hey guys, just logged 1k on my odometer!! The crf rocks as far as 250 road legals go! Great MPG, decent handling, and plenty of get up and go in town. Once on the highway, there is no snap left in the throttle. If you're past 60 mph, rolling the throttle to the stop will only yield a gentle acceleration up to 80 +/- 6 mph indicated, and the spedo seems to be 2mph off according to my GPS, so the top speed seems to be 84 mph in stock form. It handles off road pretty good but I can't get nearly as sideways as I can on my CRF450R with good off road tires! It will wag the tail a lot less, and doesn't give good feedback on the edge, it but if you've got a little bit of experience you can still ride it close to the edge off road without crashing. The tires seem to be holding it back. The NICE dual chamber forks on my CRF450R look like they'll fit the triple clamps on the crf250L no problem, and add all the adjustability I need! I haven't measured the shock yet, that's for another day, hopefully the 450 shock will fit too!
Please post the measurements here when you do it - i don't know when i'll get to it; i'm backlogged with stuff to do already; handlebar, bling engine plugs, and lubing the axles. Work takes too much time of my life. :-/
The forks are ok for me, i think, and the shock might be, but i just don't like the cheapo chrome type shock - although the good thing is that you can hardly notice it on this bike. I'm going to get around to getting a YSS shock, but if the CRF250R shock fits, if it's the same length - although i doubt it, given that the CRF250R is so much higher - it might be easy to get one on ebay.

cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:35 AM   #3170
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goondock View Post
problem with the front. there are 3 wires for the front blinkers. ground, blinker and running lights but the led's have only 2 wires. power and ground. so i hooked the new led's up to the power and the ground and left the running lights wire unhooked. tested it out and nothing will blink, or light up now. So then i just touched the running light wire to the power and they lit up but still nothing will flash.

do you think the relay will fix this problem or is there something else i am missing.? any thoughts?
Maybe. I don't understand wiring well enough to say. But mine don't come on until i use them, as turn signals; only the headlight is on when i switch on the ignition switch. So i suppose that is a feature of the US version. I don't know whether mine (South Africa) is the Thailand version or AUS version or what. It does not have the charcoal canister for fumes - so far i know, that's always a US feature, only.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:44 AM   #3171
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdevil8 View Post
has anyone figured out the best way to remove all the smog filter crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyBlackIrish View Post
I saw something a ways back but just did a search and didn't come up with anything. But I'm not very good at finding squat on search so far.
This gets lots of results from google...

site:advrider.com "CRF250L" (smog OR canister)

...although google doesn't work right for me because i've changed the setting for number of posts per page, so the google links take me to the wrong points.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:47 AM   #3172
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat View Post
This gets lots of results from google...

site:advrider.com "CRF250L" (smog OR canister)

...although google doesn't work right for me because i've changed the setting for number of posts per page, so the google links take me to the wrong points.

Thanks you Cat!
Old 02-13-2013, 07:54 AM   #3173
Telemarktumalo
Coffee Achiever

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaw777 View Post

I installed these last week and they are working great. You get about an additional inch of rise and they are great for standing.

I cut approximately 3/4" off of the ends to approximate the length of the OEM bars (pipe cutter). Just remove the hand controls and grips. Remove the old bars from the clamps and then slide the bars toward the clutch side. That will allow you to slip the throttle tube off of the right side without removing any cables.

Rotate the bars in the clamps to the -1 position mark on the bar.

As mentioned, use a dremel tool to remove the little metal nubs from the inside of the controls (I think there are 3 of them total). I jused electrical tape to give the controls a bit of bite on the new bar.

I just received my Cycra hand guards and will install those this weekend. I'll post some pics afterward. Send me a PM if you need any help.
Telemarktumalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:54 AM   #3174
gaw777
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad_Leo View Post
I installed the Easton bars. Fairly simple process, just remember to remove the guide pegs in the inside of the controls. I don't recall any issues with cable length, but the throttle cables are a little tight when the wheelis turned to the left.

I know that there have been some concerns about mounting difficulties with the 1 3/8 size bars, I just superglued industrial Velcro to the Easton pad and my rugged phone case, and it doesn't budge

Any pix without the pad? Not sure I am a big fan of the Pad.
I do have a gps that I mount to the stock bars, wonder if that is a possibility with these bars?
Thanks
Old 02-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #3175
gaw777
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemarktumalo View Post
I installed these last week and they are working great. You get about an additional inch of rise and they are great for standing.

I cut approximately 3/4" off of the ends to approximate the length of the OEM bars (pipe cutter). Just remove the hand controls and grips. Remove the old bars from the clamps and then slide the bars toward the clutch side. That will allow you to slip the throttle tube off of the right side without removing any cables.

Rotate the bars in the clamps to the -1 position mark on the bar.

As mentioned, use a dremel tool to remove the little metal nubs from the inside of the controls (I think there are 3 of them total). I jused electrical tape to give the controls a bit of bite on the new bar.

I just received my Cycra hand guards and will install those this weekend. I'll post some pics afterward. Send me a PM if you need any help.
Excellent!
Pix would be great, maybe some without the Pad
You might be getting a PM when I get ready to install.
Do they make a cross bar for these bars to mount a gps? Do you know?
Thanks
Old 02-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #3176
Charleston
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Judder Spring Issue?

Has anyone had an issue with the clutch slipping when you jump on the gas with the clutch lever out (on a good traction surface like pavement)? I have adjusted the clutch free play twice and still sometimes hear the engine wind up faster than the bike speed.

Iím no expert but understand that the clutch uses a judder spring that is supposed to soften clutch engagement but can cause slip when more HP is applied than designed for. My bike is stock, I donít have the stonkin HP that some of you are getting with your mods (I donít even have the go-fast sticker mod).

Thanks
Old 02-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #3177
goondock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Front led problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat View Post
Maybe. I don't understand wiring well enough to say. But mine don't come on until i use them, as turn signals; only the headlight is on when i switch on the ignition switch. So i suppose that is a feature of the US version. I don't know whether mine (South Africa) is the Thailand version or AUS version or what. It does not have the charcoal canister for fumes - so far i know, that's always a US feature, only.
Yeah i wired the rear up and everything worked. then i wired up the front minus the one wire and the only thing that comes on now is the tail light and the headlight.. just scratching my head

saw on another forum someone had to use these to change 3wires for blinkers down to two.. didnt didnt want to add more wires it is tight up there the way it is.

i will give this a try: http://www.customled.com/products/ma...ic_blinker.htm
goondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #3178
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston View Post
Has anyone had an issue with the clutch slipping when you jump on the gas with the clutch lever out (on a good traction surface like pavement)? I have adjusted the clutch free play twice and still sometimes hear the engine wind up faster than the bike speed.

Iím no expert but understand that the clutch uses a judder spring that is supposed to soften clutch engagement but can cause slip when more HP is applied than designed for. My bike is stock, I donít have the stonkin HP that some of you are getting with your mods (I donít even have the go-fast sticker mod).

Thanks
No slipping here. If anything, it seems "abrupt" at times, especially in the lower gears.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #3179
LiquidYogi
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexp87 View Post
Hey guys, new here. Been lurking around this thread for a while. Decided to sign up today since, if everything works out, I'll be picking up my new CRF250L on Saturday! Pretty excited! Been trying to get these guys down to the price I want. First quote was almost $5700! Our sales tax here in WA is pretty high, but I'm hoping to get the price a lot lower than that. Not to experienced at buying, but we'll see how it goes. I'll post pics as soon as it's home.
Also brand new here, have just been reading along happily and waiting for my chance to buy my own CRF250L. I just got the go ahead so I'm starting to check around...first quote I got from Lake City Powersports was $5627. When I asked if there was even a chance to get it for under $5,000 I was told "If I find a used one I'll let you know." The MSRP on this bike is $4,499 how in the hell do dealers get away with price gauging like this? Let me know what you find Alex and I'll keep looking myself. Hopefully we'll both get bikes without breaking the bank.
LiquidYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #3180
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidYogi View Post
Also brand new here, have just been reading along happily and waiting for my chance to buy my own CRF250L. I just got the go ahead so I'm starting to check around...first quote I got from Lake City Powersports was $5627. When I asked if there was even a chance to get it for under $5,000 I was told "If I find a used one I'll let you know." The MSRP on this bike is $4,499 how in the hell do dealers get away with price gauging like this? Let me know what you find Alex and I'll keep looking myself. Hopefully we'll both get bikes without breaking the bank.
Here, it was $4,449, plus $300 "destination fee", then $150 "delivery fee", then $69 "misc. fee" (I think that one made it so I didn't have to deal with the DMV, well worth it). Then state tax $311.43, for a grand total of $5,279. If I crash, and burn this one, and survive, another one on order real soon.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote