Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 11:21 PM   #16
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by KustomizingKid View Post
I really can't have more than one bike until I am done with school.
This is how it will/should go down:

You sell the sport bike. They get outdated quicker than stereo equipment anyhow.

Keep the KLR. It's slow, heavy and ugly. It's yours though, its reliable and it'll be cheap. You need all that while in school.

At some point if not already, you'll meet some chick that you'll have to carry on a regular basis. The KLR is ok for that. At some point you're going to be at a kegger and some drunk douche nozzle is going to back over your bike. The KLR will be fine. You'll have to buck up $30 for new handlebars. That's it.

You'll lose the girl to some guy with a Harley. Don't worry. He's financing it. She gets knocked up and drops out. You're better off without her.

You'll finish school with a busted up but still running KLR with bald tires. Youll finally change the oil, put new tires on it and head out for a 6 month road trip. Maybe Argentina? When you get back you'll start some entry level job and advance quickly. Finishing top of your class has nothing to do with it. It's because your boss thinks you have great stories and wishes they would have done that when they were younger. Then you get to buy any and all the bikes you want. Also, the other language that you learned in your travels helps to pick up women.

I wish to hell that someone would have laid shit out like that back when I was starting out.
ATC350X
550MXC
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:29 PM   #17
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydeeds View Post

You sell the sport bike. They get outdated quicker than stereo equipment anyhow.

Keep the KLR. It's slow, heavy and ugly. It's yours though, its reliable and it'll be cheap. You need all that while in school.

At some point if not already, you'll meet some chick that you'll have to carry on a regular basis. The KLR is ok for that. At some point you're going to be at a kegger and some drunk douche nozzle is going to back over your bike. The KLR will be fine. You'll have to buck up $30 for new handlebars. That's it.

You'll lose the girl to some guy with a Harley. Don't worry. He's financing it. She gets knocked up and drops out. You're better off without her.

You'll finish school with a busted up but still running KLR with bald tires. Youll finally change the oil, put new tires on it and head out for a 6 month road trip. Maybe Argentina? When you get back you'll start some entry level job and advance quickly. Finishing top of your class has nothing to do with it. It's because your boss thinks you have great stories and wishes they would have done that when they were younger. Then you get to buy any and all the bikes you want. Also, the other language that you learned in your travels helps to pick up women.

I wish to hell that someone would have laid shit out like that back when I was starting out.
/thread
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:39 AM   #18
Jeathrow Bowdean
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
How true that is. I just finish school last year at 50, and I did my world trip. My new boss dude will like my world travel storys, I can't wait to get a job and make some money for doing nothing all day. Thats why I'm on this forum all the time.

ADV forum and biking is what life is all about !!!

From Jeathrow Bowdean PS: I never did find tha girl, HA HA !!!
Jeathrow Bowdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:04 AM   #19
ET-VT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by KustomizingKid View Post
If my budget were higher I would be buying a WR250...
I sold my KLR with 10K miles, replaced it with a WR250R with 3K miles, and came out $200 ahead. I miss the KLR a bit on the street or well-maintained dirt roads, but with the kind of trails that are accessible on the WR250R, it's a more enjoyable bike overall. And even though my KLR didn't have any real issues (used oil, but that's it), I expect the WRR to be more reliable in the long run.
ET-VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:07 AM   #20
Bullspit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:

Me too!
Bullspit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:20 AM   #21
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,517
Let's see...selling a sport bike and a KLR to be replaced with one bike. I think I'd go with a KTM690 and the spare wheels you mention. Unless your sportbike is a POS, you should get a few bucks for that thing as well as the KLR. You put all of that toward the KTM which is one of the few bikes in the world that can actually do some decent off road and provide some pavement excitement too. The 690 would kill a KLR in any off road or pavement situation, and on pavement it has the power and handling to satisfy quite well...especially with the extra wheels and tires. And later when you can once again afford two or more bikes, I'd almost bet you'd still keep the 690.
TNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:50 AM   #22
Jeathrow Bowdean
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm sure he would like to have a rocket ship on wheels in the off road department, but I think that his school thing and his need to do some off road stuff will work out good on a simple DRZ 400. I would like to have a KTM, but Western Canada prices don't permit this at $12 300 out the door for the 690 compared to the $7 600 out the door.

School is coastly, and bikes are just toys, so keeping it real is the best bag for the buck. I ride with the ADS Alberta dudes on my DRZ, and I follow, and lead at times. They kill me on the open stretches, but this is not what he is asking either being that it is not a race bike he is looking for.

One bike/ Better off roading then his KLR/ and School !!!

From Jeathrow Bowdean
Old 02-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #23
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 9,895
Quote:

Do you write the commercials for Direct TV?

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:13 AM   #24
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,259
dirtydeeds, best post ever!!!
Old 02-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #25
OrangeYZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Z View Post
Do you write the commercials for Direct TV?
Don't get trampled by wild elephants. Keep the sport bike and ride it on this continent.
OrangeYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #26
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeathrow Bowdean View Post
I'm sure he would like to have a rocket ship on wheels in the off road department, but I think that his school thing and his need to do some off road stuff will work out good on a simple DRZ 400. I would like to have a KTM, but Western Canada prices don't permit this at $12 300 out the door for the 690 compared to the $7 600 out the door.

School is coastly, and bikes are just toys, so keeping it real is the best bag for the buck. I ride with the ADS Alberta dudes on my DRZ, and I follow, and lead at times. They kill me on the open stretches, but this is not what he is asking either being that it is not a race bike he is looking for.

One bike/ Better off roading then his KLR/ and School !!!

From Jeathrow Bowdean
Life is full of compromises, and they'll usually tend to put greater pressures on your motorcycling pursuits as time goes by...marriage, kids, job, etc. While bikes can be classified as toys by some, to some of us it's a critical part of quality living. Sometimes "now" is better than hoping for "later". Nothing wrong with a Suzy 400, but it'll never fill the sportbike function that the OP seems to like. I've only gotten to ride a KTM690 enduro model once, but it was fairly eye-opening. It may be the bike that might be the "one" capable of real performance on pavement and dirt. With the spare wheels/tires, it would be like cheating. I'd be highly tempted by a good one in the used market.
TNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:16 PM   #27
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Life is full of compromises, and they'll usually tend to put greater pressures on your motorcycling pursuits as time goes by...marriage, kids, job, etc. While bikes can be classified as toys by some, to some of us it's a critical part of quality living. Sometimes "now" is better than hoping for "later". Nothing wrong with a Suzy 400, but it'll never fill the sportbike function that the OP seems to like. I've only gotten to ride a KTM690 enduro model once, but it was fairly eye-opening. It may be the bike that might be the "one" capable of real performance on pavement and dirt. With the spare wheels/tires, it would be like cheating. I'd be highly tempted by a good one in the used market.
I'm no KTM fan ... but have to go along with the above reasoning. NONE of the bikes mentioned so far will touch the ability of a KTM 690. Few sport bikes will keep pace with a well ridden 690 on a rough, tight and twisty road ... in either Dual sport of SUMO trim. In enduro/dual sport mode the 690 will be like a moto cross race bike compared to a KLR riding off road.

The 690 is not an ideal travel bike and not good 2 up ... but for sporty back road riding and challenging dual sport ... it's hard to beat. It's expensive but once you ride one ... you may see where the value is.

Look hard for a nice used one. Learn how to do the maintenance yourself ... cause if you don't it won't last long. It's no DRZ400S or KLR. Requires more TLC but pays off big in performance and FUN.

I've had several KTM's and ridden the 690 a few times. A friend had a 690 SUMO bike. Sold it cheap ... as it scrared him. (I should have bought it!)
Rode a 690 Enduro in the Colorado passes for a day. NICE bike.

My DR650 is a better street bike/commuter. NO maintenance type bike, fast enough and a good handler .. but no 690 ... which really is a race bike.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #28
Jeathrow Bowdean
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes. The part about a bike being a way of life is true for some people, but KustomizingKid lives in Minneapolis, so this leads me to believe that he is not driving the bike as a way of life with the winter they are having up there, but stranger things have happened !!!

My next guess to this, is that he is in school as he said, and he is looking for a DRZ to replace his KLR so he can do a few trails better then what his KLR can not quite handle, and I did not see any thing about a KTM in his post !!!

Then he asked if the DRZ can do 25 000 miles, so this leads me to believe he wants a bike with real low miles, or something new so he dosen't have to rebuild it while he is in school, He wanted a dual sport bike and SM tires looking at his post, and this is his words!!!

I'm sure that KustomizingKid has checked out the DRZ forum that I told him about so he can get the info that he wants on the DRZ to see if it fits his catagory he is looking at. I my self totally like the bigger bikes like XR650L, DR650, KTM 690 and a few others including KLR, " " " But " " " KustomizingKid wanted info on DRZ's, so I provided the best info that I could find for him being that this is what he is looking for. I'm sure that Eddie Oh'Dell and Burns Cycle with DRZ will fill KustomizingKid in with all the info he needs to make a collective decision on the bike that he is looking at regarding his OP !!!

From Jeathrow Bowdean. PS But then, what would I know about this stuff !!! once he has his info, then he might change his mind and pick a diffrent bike. I'm sorry if my take is not spot on, but I tryied my best to answer what Kustomizing is asking so he can do his research ...

Jeathrow Bowdean screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 01:54 PM
Old 02-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #29
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
Don't ride a 690 if you aren't able to buy one, because once you ride one
you will never be satisfied with anything else.

Unless it is a Husky TE610 - my riding buddy has the KTM 690 and still lusts after my bike!
Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:41 PM   #30
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfab View Post
dirtydeeds, best post ever!!!
+1
The op should take it and go with it and never have a second thought, it may be funny to read what dirtydeeds said but like ole 10 Bears said in the movie The outlaw Josey Wales, your word carries iron.
ChromeSux is offline   Reply With Quote