Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #2701
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
New Strada..thinking of doing 21"- 18"..abs still function.?

I bought a new Husqvarna Strada this past weekend. Wifes approval was only for the black one...as the Terra (red) that comes with proper sized wheels doesn't come with abs. So I bought the black Strada...knowing full well I'd be calling Woodys for spoked wheels. My question is what else will be needed to make the abs function on the blacktop? The Husky has the magic button so it'll be easy to turn off the abs once in gravel/dirt..also since its not a full balls to the wall dirt bike...what tires would you suggest ? No single track for me ...or at least not much. I will stick mostly hard dirt with a lot go gravel.?..but still will spend most time on blacktop just getting there..thanks
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #2702
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,139
19" to 21"

I am in the process of purchasing an 03 Tiger 955i that will predominantly do dirt duty. I want to make a 21" front. Can you give me an idea what that will entail? I saw those BMW wheels a few entries back with the Galfer wave rotors. Do those work better than standard rotors? Do you think a Tiger could get by with one Galfer wave rotor?
Old 01-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #2703
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,346
converting Strada to ??? sized wheels for dirt use...????

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperj View Post
I bought a new Husqvarna Strada this past weekend. Wifes approval was only for the black one...as the Terra (red) that comes with proper sized wheels doesn't come with abs. So I bought the black Strada...knowing full well I'd be calling Woodys for spoked wheels. My question is what else will be needed to make the abs function on the blacktop? The Husky has the magic button so it'll be easy to turn off the abs once in gravel/dirt..also since its not a full balls to the wall dirt bike...what tires would you suggest ? No single track for me ...or at least not much. I will stick mostly hard dirt with a lot go gravel.?..but still will spend most time on blacktop just getting there..thanks
hi,in a nutshell[sorry am severlely crimped for time]

1,,,do you have wires or mags on your strada??
2,,,what size rrims were you hoping to get ??just front or both???
3,,so far all rim size changes have not affected the ABS systems...
4,,what is affected is speedo/odometer readings,,,FYI some bikes have re-calibration circuits,,,yours???
5,,keeping it mostly on pavement and fire roads i'd opt for our 50-50 set-up cpnsisting of 19/17 combo ,,you'll have the biggest selection of dual-sport tires available,i bet 905 of all dual sports come in this configuration,,since the marketing types know most of you will spend most of your time in the scenarios you just gave me...

hope that helps
woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #2704
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

'03 tiger 955i to 21' fron tconversion,,what's needed??? $$$=???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
I am in the process of purchasing an 03 Tiger 955i that will predominantly do dirt duty. I want to make a 21" front. Can you give me an idea what that will entail? I saw those BMW wheels a few entries back with the Galfer wave rotors. Do those work better than standard rotors? Do you think a Tiger could get by with one Galfer wave rotor?
hi,,
1,,,if you have a wire wheel ,it will simply entail sending in or us building /sending you a kit

2,,,the Galfers and their green pad combo is a favorite,,,they are lighter and work better than most stock set-ups...

3,,regarding swapping to one rotor ...most folks won't be needing the additional braking off-road that a dual disc set-up offers,,,then you have the additional handling gains off-road that a lighter set-up offers. FYI,,converting to one disc will make it harder to squeeze the brake often necessitating a smaller diameter master cylinder....some folks like that it is harder[oops that didn't sound right],,,because they can't over-brake in the dirt/loose stuff

gotta run

woody
Old 02-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #2705
k-dmitriy
n00b

Oddometer: 5
what the lace pattern has bmw f800gs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
BWOE,, This picture is of the KTM 450 EXC front wheel.
The four 'Blue' spokes make up the sides of the two 'Tepees'. Within each of the 'Tepees' is a spoke heading to the LEFT. This gives me a "Jap" pattern index for the front wheel of my 450 EXC.
and
Hi. I'm a little confused. Searching for front rim on f800gs (to replace bent one re-using stock spokes, nipples and lace pattern), here Thread: Beware: F800gs Rims Are Junk! #223 Chris says that it has euro lace pattern. But according to info above and photo below it looks like jap - central spoke in tepee heading to the left???

k-dmitriy screwed with this post 02-08-2013 at 03:53 PM
k-dmitriy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #2706
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Jap vs. Euro

Great picture below explaining. To clarify, the stock front F800GS wheel has a Jap lace pattern(between the "Teepee" goes to the left). The stock rear F800GS wheel has a Euro lace pattern(between the "Teepee" goes to the right).

Because of the smaller nipple sizes, you probably won't find a rim that will just lace up to your hub, using stock spokes and nipples, outside of the stock rim, which because it's so ride, is the main reason why you bent in the first place.

some options: 1) If you swapped the nipples out with correct gauge as spoke and 0.320" body diameter nipples(hint, the nipples used on the Rear F800 would be the correct ones, or can call up and purchase), they would work with most Jap lace pattern rims, but these rims will likely only be the 1.60x21" size, which is only really good on the F800 for going off-road or 50/50 riding.

2) DID has a 1.85x21" rim with Jap lace pattern that we and others sell that if you went with 0.320" nipples would work, or we do have a custom drilled Excel as well that could work with larger nipples.

If you wanted to stick with stock rim and keep inexpensive, we have stock used rims for the F800, and you can contact us if you're interested.

Hope that helps and have a great weekend.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-dmitriy View Post
Hi. I'm a little confused. Searching for front rim on f800gs (to replace bent one re-using stock spokes, nipples and lace pattern), here Thread: Beware: F800gs Rims Are Junk! #223 Chris says that it has euro lace pattern. But according to info above and photo below it looks like jap - central spoke in tepee heading to the left???

Old 02-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #2707
k-dmitriy
n00b

Oddometer: 5
oh, thanks a lot. otherwise my brain will boil away. several days i tried to find that f*ing euro drilled rims, it's look like to find the holy grail. finally found it from 950 SE with normal price here, just in case check the lace pattern... confused... and than brain began to boil. great that not bought it.

i'm not sure about buying stock rim again, does it make sense. of course, I drove into a big hole, but i noticed other several smallest dents on rim while riding very little at the moment, just at the end of season.
either i'm not sure about 1.60, generally i ride on road. but roads here often like... hm... sometimes dirt rolled or gravel roads are better :) at least without big unexpected holes on asphalt road.
thinking that 1.85 good quality rim will be fine. golden mean. sympathize with did dirtstar, and like they chains :)

just one question remains, no matter how holes located? in most cases (did excel etc.) it have one hole on one side, one on another and so on, f800gs behr front rim holes located two in series - illustrated it here http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=249
k-dmitriy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #2708
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,163
After receiving the second order for my ADV bikes from Woody I can't help but show some love in the best way I know how - with photos.

The second to none service, knowledge and quality is undeniable... Woody's Wheels Rocks and play an important part of my getting LOST with quality, reliable parts!
Lost Rider tested and approved.

Thank you Woody for you ongoing support of the motorcycle and ADVrider community !

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #2709
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

wheels hopping and strange vibrations,,, F800GS,,,???,,,Part #1

''QUOTE:
Hi Woody

Tried to send you an email via ADV but it apparently didn't make it.

Have not been a customer of yours yet but as you are the expert on all things round, thought I might seek a bit of advice and/or direction from you.
I am currently on an extended trip through the Americas, presently in Ecuador. I'm on an 800GS.

My bike has developed an annoying vibration - shakes the bike most severelly at between 40kph and 60kph - feels like there is a chunk of something glued to one of the tires. It has become more pronounced with time. Now feeling a a light, higher frequency vibration around 100kph.

I've had a TKC80 on the front balanced with Dyna Beads for about 9000 km.
I had a TKC80 installed on the rear about 3000km ago in Medellin. I noticed the vibration about 1000 km after that.

Just in case the Dyna Beads in the front had got some oil in there and clumped up, I replaced the front tube. No change.

When my wife came down to Quito for a visit, she brought some more Dyna Beads with her that I put in the rear tire. No change.

Tried rotating the rear tire 180 deg. No change.

I'm currently heading back to Quito with my wife and I'm sure I can find some sort of tire and/or wheel guy but would appreciate any thoughts you might have as to what I should look for, anything I might be able to fix/adjust and what directions I can give to a local guy to fix.

Thanks
Steve May
"RexBuck"

ADV ride report at www.rexbuck.com ]

hi steve,,,

FYI,,i've got this thread on advrider.com :
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145899

it's the perfect place to post questions and dilemnas like yours...that way everyone in the community get's to share the problems,,chime in and get some answers,,,you havemy permission to cut n paste your question an dmy response if you'd like ,,,i as a vendor cannot post PM's and personal e-mails...

ok,,first step is to do some simple checking,,

1,,raise bike on centerstand ,have someone hold front end down ,,start bike ,pop into 1st or second gear and look at the tire,,,if you spot any anomally,,your eye will instantly recognize it,,,no need for fancy equipment,,,sometimes knobby tires loose a chunk of of the knob,,that will cause similar symptoms,,,,

2,while up and engine off grab wheel to see if there is any
weird side play grab tire in the 4 quadrants and see if the wheel is loose,,spin by hand to see if you hear strange noises coming from the bearing area,,these wheels and this thread chronicles similar stories like yours with noises similar just prior to TOTAL bearing failure,,,

3,, if you wheel off you can perform the simple 'stick your finger in the bearing and rotate,,the should be ''smooth as silk!!' any roughness is ground for checking bore and taking corrective action or minimally R&R all the bearings and try and get a few more miles in....you do NOT want to be a victim of bearing failure ,,it get's real ugly real quick...nuff said

4,repeat for front wheel

FYI,,,noticed that the one item you didn't change was the front tire

holler with the results of this check out procedure
woody
Old 02-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #2710
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

wheels hopping and strange vibrations,,, F800GS,,,???,,,Part #2 = Rx

Quote:'' things that go thump'':

Hey Woody
Thanks for your input. I was almost ready to post to your thread and got looking at the front tire real close. Looked to me like it was wearing a bit uneven at the various wear-bars. Was able to talk the local touring bike rental place out of a new tire they had in stock. Put the new tire on and problem fixed.

So will have to wait for awhile to see if the problem has gone away or resurfaces. I'm thinking it was either: Bad tire, Dyna-Beads clumping or something with the wheel.

I got 40% less mileage out of this tire than I did the last TKC80 I had on there. So, if the problem arrises again, it probably won't be because of the tire, it won't be Dyna-Beads (took that tube out a while back), it will be something with the wheel. If that is the case, I'll post the situation up on your thread and see where it goes from there.

Again, thanks very much for your time and help

Steve
May

hi steve,,,

good on ya for figuring it out,,,out of wack tire falls under the ''turn/spin wheel and you'll see the defect' portion of my self help routine

FYI out of round wheels are the first cause of tires wearing unevenly,,,and the second cause is highway miles at speed especially off camber roads cause cupping to occur,,it is more pronounced on knobby tires[they flex more]

do i have your permission to cut n paste our correspondence to the ask woody about your wheels thread??
[i'll edit it for simplicity !
enjoy,,happy chinese new year and safe travels

woody
Old 02-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #2711
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,282
hello woody,
concerning a 1991 Suzuki DR350-S model. The OEM spokes are thin and have .250 nipples. Do you make a thicker spoke set for these hubs? I realize that I would need an 18" rim with the bigger nipple holes and might need to drill the hub-holes.
(there were two DR350 models then, the DR350-S has a cush hub, different than the DR350 dirt model.)

yours, etc.
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #2712
RexBuck
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
''QUOTE:
Hi Woody

Tried to send you an email via ADV but it apparently didn't make it.

Have not been a customer of yours yet but as you are the expert on all things round, thought I might seek a bit of advice and/or direction from you.
I am currently on an extended trip through the Americas, presently in Ecuador. I'm on an 800GS.

My bike has developed an annoying vibration - shakes the bike most severelly at between 40kph and 60kph - feels like there is a chunk of something glued to one of the tires. It has become more pronounced with time. Now feeling a a light, higher frequency vibration around 100kph.

I've had a TKC80 on the front balanced with Dyna Beads for about 9000 km.
I had a TKC80 installed on the rear about 3000km ago in Medellin. I noticed the vibration about 1000 km after that.

Just in case the Dyna Beads in the front had got some oil in there and clumped up, I replaced the front tube. No change.

When my wife came down to Quito for a visit, she brought some more Dyna Beads with her that I put in the rear tire. No change.

Tried rotating the rear tire 180 deg. No change.

I'm currently heading back to Quito with my wife and I'm sure I can find some sort of tire and/or wheel guy but would appreciate any thoughts you might have as to what I should look for, anything I might be able to fix/adjust and what directions I can give to a local guy to fix.

Thanks
Steve May
"RexBuck"

ADV ride report at www.rexbuck.com ]

hi steve,,,

FYI,,i've got this thread on advrider.com :
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145899

it's the perfect place to post questions and dilemnas like yours...that way everyone in the community get's to share the problems,,chime in and get some answers,,,you havemy permission to cut n paste your question an dmy response if you'd like ,,,i as a vendor cannot post PM's and personal e-mails...

ok,,first step is to do some simple checking,,

1,,raise bike on centerstand ,have someone hold front end down ,,start bike ,pop into 1st or second gear and look at the tire,,,if you spot any anomally,,your eye will instantly recognize it,,,no need for fancy equipment,,,sometimes knobby tires loose a chunk of of the knob,,that will cause similar symptoms,,,,

2,while up and engine off grab wheel to see if there is any
weird side play grab tire in the 4 quadrants and see if the wheel is loose,,spin by hand to see if you hear strange noises coming from the bearing area,,these wheels and this thread chronicles similar stories like yours with noises similar just prior to TOTAL bearing failure,,,

3,, if you wheel off you can perform the simple 'stick your finger in the bearing and rotate,,the should be ''smooth as silk!!' any roughness is ground for checking bore and taking corrective action or minimally R&R all the bearings and try and get a few more miles in....you do NOT want to be a victim of bearing failure ,,it get's real ugly real quick...nuff said

4,repeat for front wheel

FYI,,,noticed that the one item you didn't change was the front tire

holler with the results of this check out procedure
woody

Hi Woody

Having a resource like yourself available when we are away from home is a huge help.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers
Steve
RexBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #2713
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
Just want to say thanks to Woody and Zack for taking care of my Husky Terra while I was in the Denver area. They got me in ahead of schedule and out the same way. Great service, friendly folks, and super work. Here are the Excel rims that they laced up for me to replace my soft Behr stockers.

Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:25 AM   #2714
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

1991 DR350-S spoke upgrade/rim size swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
hello woody,
concerning a 1991 Suzuki DR350-S model. The OEM spokes are thin and have .250 nipples. Do you make a thicker spoke set for these hubs? I realize that I would need an 18" rim with the bigger nipple holes and might need to drill the hub-holes.
(there were two DR350 models then, the DR350-S has a cush hub, different than the DR350 dirt model.)

yours, etc.
dear yours etc

we can do all of the above n more
FYI,,i fyour rims are in good shape ,,we can re-cycle themmmmre-size /re-angle the holes,,,just tell me what ya hope to achieve and how much bling/$$$ ya want or don't want,,,from low budget to Pebble beach classic,,Bonneville to Dakar etc etc
we can meet and exceed your expectations

woody
Old 02-16-2013, 06:38 PM   #2715
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,551
Woody, do you have the specs for a set of front & rear spokes for a 1999 Husqvarna WR125 (18") or CR125 (19" rear)?

I have a cherry, nearly new 99 WR125 and want to lace up black Excels but the stock nipples are all rusty inside. I doubt they will come apart clean or go back together with all the rust inside their heads on the tube side. It is wearing clean silver Excels already, 18" rear.

Thank you.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote