ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #1681
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Bassett, NE
Oddometer: 2,583
I woke up late this morning and looked out off the balcony here at:

N 7º 06.458'
W 73º 07.108'

at puffy white clouds drifting by and thought about leaving Bucaramanga. But in the end I just relaxed all day watching the world go by. I really like Bucaramanga. Not sure why. It has the cosmopolitan flair of a smaller Medellin East. After being above 8000 feet for the last while it was really nice to just hang out on the balcony here at 3300 feet, charge up my solar batteries along with the batteries in the camera and laptop, and watch the world go by. Sunny weather in the 70's is a nice change of pace after the Tres Cordilleras where it was in the 40s or 50s in the upper elevations. Don't let anyone talk you out of bringing warm weather gear to South America if you plan to ride the high mountain passes.

When you're on a multi-month trip with no destination, sometimes it's nice to kick back and relax for a day and do nothing. I've been doing a lot of that lately. Nothing wrong with that.

You see so much on these road trips. I think sometimes you need to stop and let it all sink in. So far Colombia has proven to be such a diverse country. It's almost like several countries in one. From the tropical hot mostly black ethnic port of Turbo, to the mostly hispanic hustle and bustle of beautiful springlike Medellin and Bucaramanga, to the 50/50 indigenous/hispanic villages up in the mountains near Venezuela. I could travel around this country for months.

Some Spanish words used in Colombia that vary from northern Latin countries:

Instead of Alto for stop, they use the word Pare (PAH-ray).

Regular gas is called corriente (core-ee-EN-tay).

Plato tipico is called plato corriente (PLAH-toh core-ee-EN-tay) for the regular dish of the day.

money is referred to as plata instead of dinero. This actually started in Panama.

tinto (TEEN-toe) is black coffee.

Perico (pear-EE-co) is cafe con leche or coffee with milk.

The Spanish dialect in Colombia varies from the coast to the cities to the mountains. As does everything else.

more later….
__________________
South America and back on a 250 Super Sherpa Minimalist Adventure
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831076
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #1682
trespalacios
Oh libertad
 
trespalacios's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Upstate SC
Oddometer: 645
If you just say "toche" at the end of a phrase you'll sound like a real local in that area

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
I woke up late this morning and looked out off the balcony here at:

N 7º 06.458'
W 73º 07.108'

at puffy white clouds drifting by and thought about leaving Bucaramanga. But in the end I just relaxed all day watching the world go by. I really like Bucaramanga. Not sure why. It has the cosmopolitan flair of a smaller Medellin East. After being above 8000 feet for the last while it was really nice to just hang out on the balcony here at 3300 feet, charge up my solar batteries along with the batteries in the camera and laptop, and watch the world go by. Sunny weather in the 70's is a nice change of pace after the Tres Cordilleras where it was in the 40s or 50s in the upper elevations. Don't let anyone talk you out of bringing warm weather gear to South America if you plan to ride the high mountain passes.

When you're on a multi-month trip with no destination, sometimes it's nice to kick back and relax for a day and do nothing. I've been doing a lot of that lately. Nothing wrong with that.

You see so much on these road trips. I think sometimes you need to stop and let it all sink in. So far Colombia has proven to be such a diverse country. It's almost like several countries in one. From the tropical hot mostly black ethnic port of Turbo, to the mostly hispanic hustle and bustle of beautiful springlike Medellin and Bucaramanga, to the 50/50 indigenous/hispanic villages up in the mountains near Venezuela. I could travel around this country for months.

Some Spanish words used in Colombia that vary from northern Latin countries:

Instead of Alto for stop, they use the word Pare (PAH-ray).

Regular gas is called corriente (core-ee-EN-tay).

Plato tipico is called plato corriente (PLAH-toh core-ee-EN-tay) for the regular dish of the day.

money is referred to as plata instead of dinero. This actually started in Panama.

tinto (TEEN-toe) is black coffee.

Perico (pear-EE-co) is cafe con leche or coffee with milk.

The Spanish dialect in Colombia varies from the coast to the cities to the mountains. As does everything else.

more later….
__________________
13 KTM350 EXC "Katy"

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
trespalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #1683
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Bassett, NE
Oddometer: 2,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by trespalacios View Post
If you just say "toche" at the end of a phrase you'll sound like a real local in that area
I had to do a google search to find out what this is used for coloquially in the Cucuta area:

http://www.cucutanuestra.com/temas/africano/toche.htm

looks like according to #11 it can be synonymous with pendejo.

First you want me to try the aphrodisiac big butt ants and now you think I should add asshole to the end of my sentences.

I am hereby making you chief executive officer in charge of Colombia here at the Zombie Apocalypse Travel Agency.

Saludos,
Juan Pendejo Toche
__________________
South America and back on a 250 Super Sherpa Minimalist Adventure
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831076

JDowns screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 01:56 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #1684
trespalacios
Oh libertad
 
trespalacios's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Upstate SC
Oddometer: 645
It actually means sooo many things... It's like a wild card word, sometimes like new yorkers (especially the italian ones) use the word f*ck, or southerners use the word damn or some others use the word shit. The guy in the website actually starts off by saying that in Cucuta the word toche is actually used even to take a leak...



Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
I had to do a google search to find out what this is used for coloquially in the Cucuta area:

http://www.cucutanuestra.com/temas/africano/toche.htm

looks like according to #11 it can be synonymous with pendejo.

First you want me to try the aphrodisiac big butt ants and now you think I should add asshole to the end of my sentences.

I am hereby making you chief executive officer in charge of Colombia here at the Zombie Apocalypse Travel Agency.

Saludos,
Juan Pendejo Toche
__________________
13 KTM350 EXC "Katy"

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
trespalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #1685
ONandOFF
-ROAD-
 
ONandOFF's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Shenandoah Valley riding wonderland
Oddometer: 5,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by trespalacios View Post
It actually means sooo many things... It's like a wild card word, sometimes like new yorkers (especially the italian ones) use the word f*ck, or southerners use the word damn or some others use the word shit. The guy in the website actually starts off by saying that in Cucuta the word toche is actually used even to take a leak...
Coño!

__________________
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:48 PM   #1686
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Bassett, NE
Oddometer: 2,583
My big mission today was getting a haircut. Here is my barber:



Washed my hair, gave me a shoulder massage. She told me I was guano, I mean guapo (handsome). I love Colombian women.

Came back to the hotel and found this guy:



Gaetan is from Quebec and has come down and rented an F800 from Motolombia for two weeks to see the sights in Colombia. Had fun this evening going out on the town for dinner. I had arroz oriental (fried rice) and Gaetan had what looked like dog. I tried it and it tasted sort of like beef, but the ribs were so small it looked suspect. I couldn't finish my meal it was so big, so let Gaetan finish it. He is a growing boy and can't live by dog alone, or whatever that mystery meat was.

Gaetan has been lurking on ADVrider and had read my ride report. He came in today from La Violeta hospedaje in Suscaron. So we had plenty to talk about.

Hasta Mañana mis amigos de aventura,
Juan Amante de Cuño
johnthomasdowns.blogspot.com
__________________
South America and back on a 250 Super Sherpa Minimalist Adventure
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831076
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:43 PM   #1687
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
When you're on a multi-month trip with no destination, sometimes it's nice to kick back and relax for a day and do nothing. I've been doing a lot of that lately. Nothing wrong with that.
It's a rare thing to find a "real" traveler like yourself John. In my 7 years wandering Latin America I did things similar. I'd take breaks in places I considered little Garden's of Eden and spend time. Being on the road is tough, frequent breaks are good. So many blast through ... in fact about 90% of reports on ADV are that way.

Great work on the ever changing Spanish terms. I first noticed it with fruit and vegetables and vulgarisms. These terms change several times from Mex. to Argentina.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Instead of Alto for stop, they use the word
Pare (PAH-ray).

I remember Pare being used in parts of Cent. America. (I lived in Guatemala for two years)

Regular gas is called corriente (core-ee-EN-tay).

Plato tipico is called plato corriente (PLAH-toh core-ee-EN-tay) for the regular dish of the day.

I've also seen: Comida Corriente, plato del dia, comida corrida.

money is referred to as plata instead of dinero. This actually started in Panama.
And you know CASH is "effectivo"? Good to know when dealing with banks
or money changers.


tinto (TEEN-toe) is black coffee.
In Argentina Tinto is red wine. Coffee is just Cafe ... but that means Espresso. (or Cafecito) Cappucino is "Cafe Cortado" (literally, Cut Coffee)

Perico (pear-EE-co) is cafe con leche or coffee with milk.
In parts of Mexico "perico" is code for Cocaina or speed. (sing like a bird)

The Spanish dialect in Colombia varies from the coast to the cities to the mountains. As does everything else.
Spanish experts claim educated Colombians speak the purest Spanish outside of Spain .. and the best in Latin America. I agree. Mexico City residents also speak a very good Spanish ... but Mexico is so big ... once outside of D.F accents go crazy. Learning slang, colloquial and idiomatic phrases takes time and close listening. Mexico is loaded with them ... and Argentina is hilarious as well and I'm sure Colombia has their own jewels.

Also note the various slang expressions for "copulate". Pisar (verb, to step down or step on) is an interesting one. Chingar is, I believe, uniquely Mexican. Portenos have a million of them as well, one is Fifar.

A bus in Cuba is a Wa Wa. A Wa Wa in much of Latin America is a Baby.
Some really funny mix ups can happen from time to time.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #1688
ONandOFF
-ROAD-
 
ONandOFF's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Shenandoah Valley riding wonderland
Oddometer: 5,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Coño!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
I won't be able to watch Hawaii 5-O without laughing now. Had to look that one up, my Spanish book had not gotten that far yet. ...
Here is a valuable Spanish lesson... Cubano
__________________
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #1689
Cousteau
...seeking adventure
 
Cousteau's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Guatemala City / Washington, DC
Oddometer: 61
TuBabel.com

Juanito,

I'm still following along and taking copious notes as I head out in April... So jus a few months to go.

You may want to check out http://www.tubabel.com ... This a website a friend of mine setup that captures all the slang of the Spanish speaking countries. It's great fun and can be part of your Spanish lessons.

Safe travels my friend.

Cheers,

David
Cousteau@ADV
Cousteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:36 AM   #1690
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Bassett, NE
Oddometer: 2,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousteau View Post
Juanito,

I'm still following along and taking copious notes as I head out in April... So jus a few months to go.

You may want to check out http://www.tubabel.com ... This a website a friend of mine setup that captures all the slang of the Spanish speaking countries. It's great fun and can be part of your Spanish lessons.

Safe travels my friend.

Cheers,

David
Cousteau@ADV
Hola Dahveed,

Great link! Thanks. It looks like Colombia is tops for slang submissions. That site will keep me busy.

Muchas gracias amigo,
Juan Largado
__________________
South America and back on a 250 Super Sherpa Minimalist Adventure
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831076
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:44 AM   #1691
GRinCR
Oppressed Nomad
 
GRinCR's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Alajuela, Costa Rica via MN.
Oddometer: 320
Love laguage! I once had a friend of mine running around Tamarindo telling everyone he was "caliente". It did work our well for him a time or two, but man was it funny when it didn't. I told him on the plane home what it translates to for the local crowd .

Still my fave: Buenos Nachos in place of noches. Always good for a smile from the tough ones to crack.

More please
__________________
Greg Smith
'90 DR650RS
Costa Rica: Trippin' with GR , The Bike Teardown
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln
GRinCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:57 AM   #1692
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Bassett, NE
Oddometer: 2,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Hi ONandOFF,

Thanks for the link. Pretty funny. Had me laughing.

Juan Como Mierda
__________________
South America and back on a 250 Super Sherpa Minimalist Adventure
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831076
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:16 AM   #1693
nimrod
Pog Mo Thoin
 
nimrod's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Espinazo del Diablo , Tejas
Oddometer: 597
¿Que frijole cabrito? - How you bean kid?
__________________
In my dream, the angel shrugged and said if we fail this time it will be a failure of imagination
and then she placed the world gently in the palm of my hand.
B. Andreas
"Betweem two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before" -Mae West
nimrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:39 AM   #1694
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Bassett, NE
Oddometer: 2,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
¿Que frijole cabrito? - How you bean kid?
Hola Nimrod,

I bean good. Just got into Cartagena after riding all over the place. 500 miles of high speed wandering.

Saludos,
Juan Viajero
__________________
South America and back on a 250 Super Sherpa Minimalist Adventure
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831076
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:42 AM   #1695
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Bassett, NE
Oddometer: 2,583
Slept in again and was surprised to see Gaetan in the garage in Bucaramanga just as I was about to leave. He has a giant loop bag that looks perfect for traveling down here on a rental bike. All his things fit and he was strapping it down to the F800 as I headed out.

Took 45A out of town north for the first 100 miles or so. Great road twisting through the lower elevation hills:



I was on toll roads most of the day. This is what the motorcycle free bypass lane looks like:



There are a lot of Renaults down here. There was a Renault factory in Medellin. I like these older classic mini station wagons called Master. Reminds me of mini cooper station wagons from the 60s:



Speaking of which, I have seen so many Ford, Chevy, GMC and Dodge dump trucks and transport trucks from the 50s and 60s down here. I haven't been able to take any pictures since they are coming at me so fast, but some of them look mint and are awesome!

I wish I would have had a little ripper Yamaha bike like this kid has when I was his age:



45A was a nice road with plenty of curves, but when it dropped down to the flats and turned into 45 it straightened out. They appear to be making another two lanes over to the side, so it will be a freeway before long:



Really fun road, easy to pass all the transport trucks heading north to the ports of Baranquilla and Cartagena. Straight as an arrow mostly for the next 300 miles:



Stopped to take a break and this guy came up for some pets:



Flying down the highway, I was wringing the Sherpa's neck. Stopped for a pic as the sun slowly sank into the western horizon:



And then it was dark. And I mean new moon dark. Finally hit Santa Marta at 10ish, but it wasn't the beach vibe I was looking for . So headed west to Baranquilla at midnight. Here are the harbor lights:



Carnival was over and it was kind of a hungover vibe, so I kept heading west another couple hours to Cartagena. Now you're talking! This place is nice. I had no idea where to go. Throttlemeister had suggested the Amber hostel in the old town. I headed to the malecon and sat on the rocks and watched the waves crashing on the jetty.The skies are clear here tonight at 3 AM. Lots of stars out with the new moon. I found Orion, but the curious thing is, you can't see the big dipper or little dipper this far south. There are a lot of strange looking constellations to the south. Really throws you off. Not to mention heading north to the coast. At least it was a clear sky today so I had the sun setting on my left as I headed north. But heading north to the ocean is a strange affair. I finally asked two cops where to find the Amber hostel and they led me there. Jean Pierre, the owners son was the night watchman and opened the gates. I tried to hop the two 1 foot stairs but the Sherpa got hung up. Jean Pierre said only one dirt bike has made it up those tall steps. I wasn't it. So he put down a board and I rode up into the lobby and parked the Sherpa. I think I'll stay here for a while. Really nice vibe in Cartagena. I like it!

Hasta Mañana,
Juan Cartagena
__________________
South America and back on a 250 Super Sherpa Minimalist Adventure
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831076
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014