Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #12091
tattewell
Mad Poser

Oddometer: 740
You guys must be lucky. In canada, if my insurance company found out the bike I was registering was not the actual bike, my
Insurance would be void. Those crooks would rape their grandmothers to not have to pay... that said, im all for doing what you have to do.
sent from hell for laughing at the handicapped!
tattewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:33 AM   #12092
DominicDomingo
axe me anything

Oddometer: 7,090
I was wondering if anyone can tell how to ascertain the manufacture date of my AT. I want to import her to Canada and need to be able to show that she's 15 years old to do so. I've located the small metal plaque on the right side, but don't see the manufacture date, is it somehow coded in the information on the plaque, or do I need to look for it elsewhere?

It's a 1997 model year so it must be right around ripe for entry in Canada, 36000 original kms.

EDIT I found the info and it seems it was built in Japan in 1998

http://www.coyotetrips.de/shop/allge...onda-vin-e.htm

DominicDomingo screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 04:40 AM
DominicDomingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:24 AM   #12093
tattewell
Mad Poser

I am doing the same in July, as long as its produced before july 1998 for me im good, which theoretically could be a 99 model year, I think your safe.

edit: How is a 97 model year built in 98?
Old 02-13-2013, 06:40 AM   #12094
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,002

For sale in th e Flea Market until a mod closed the thread until OP could prove it was leagally registered and transferable.
OP stated he had registered it in California as an '80 Gold Wing.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #12095
DominicDomingo
axe me anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattewell View Post
I am doing the same in July, as long as its produced before july 1998 for me im good, which theoretically could be a 99 model year, I think your safe.

That's what I'd like to know! I'm just looking at the original paperwork I have from here in Spain and it seems the bike was imported into the port of Barcelona in November 1997?

DominicDomingo screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 01:32 PM
Old 02-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #12096
DominicDomingo
axe me anything

Have you sourced out shipping yet tattewell? Are you sending to west or east coast Canada?

Old 02-13-2013, 09:25 PM   #12097
mechahayai
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
[QUOTE=Galvão;20706430]Hello,

Here I present you my Queen,

Keep up the good work!
mechahayai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:46 PM   #12098
tattewell
Mad Poser

My shipping is handled by the GoC... their going to box up all 5 of my bikes and ship them in a sea can with my furniture.

I am from the wet coast, but unfortunately moving to Ontario... not that I mind Ontario, but compared to B.C. the riding is junk.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:49 AM   #12099
Africa_Twin
Africa Twiner

Oddometer: 363
Quote:

Because year model (96 = RD07a) doesn't relate to year of manufacture (in this case, 1998) nor to the date of license plate registration.
During 1996, the RD07a was launched, replacing the RD07 model.
My particular AT is an RD07a built in 1996, license plate registered on 30 December 1996 and sold to its 1st owner on February 1997.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:21 AM   #12100
tattewell
Mad Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Africa_Twin View Post
Because year model (96 = RD07a) doesn't relate to year of manufacture (in this case, 1998) nor to the date of license plate registration.
My particular AT is an RD07a built in 1996, license plate registered on 30 December 1996 and sold to its 1st owner on February 1997.
I understand that, but what he is saying is the opposite.

It would be like buying a genuine 1970 Norton that was built in 1990... doesn't add up to me. Im not saying it's not possible, but if a bike was built in 97, I would think it was a 97 or 98 model, not a 96. In any case, its not like anything changed.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:34 AM   #12101
DominicDomingo
axe me anything

Quote:
Where I get a little confused is that mine is a 1997 model year which according to the plaque was built in 1998, yet the original bike paperwork (here in Spain where I am and the bike is) show that it was offloaded from the ship on Nov 6, 1997, and then received its Spanish "licence to circulate" on Nov 30, 1997.

I figure that the paperwork with the importation date will be enough to satisfy the Canadian authorities as far as the age of the bike is concerned.

I was also pleased to see that my AT was manufactured in Japan. I have no idea if the Japanese bikes are in fact better but I have heard that this is the case, anyone know?

Old 02-14-2013, 02:38 AM   #12102
Africa_Twin
Africa Twiner

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
I understand that, but what he is saying is the opposite.

It would be like buying a genuine 1970 Norton that was built in 1990... doesn't add up to me. Im not saying it's not possible, but if a bike was built in 97, I would think it was a 97 or 98 model, not a 96. In any case, its not like anything changed.
I understand your concern.

I work for Honda since 1990 and at first I was a bit confused too.

The last Africa Twins sold in 2002/2003 were probably built in 2001/2002 but all of them are 1996 YMs (YM = Year Model) RD07a.

The YM has nothing to do with manufacturing year/date of 1st registration.

FWIW, the YMs for the AT are (if my mind serves me well - subject to further confirmation):
1988 RD03
1990 RD04
1993 RD07
1996 RD07a

The FMCs (Full Model Change) ocurred somewhere very close to the timelines above and originated a model name change (for example, RD07 changed to RD07a)
The MMCs (Minor Model Change) normally happens every year when there are some small changes to the model, sometimes, only stylistic and cosmetic changes and DOES NOT originate model name change.

For example, the RD07 was produced for 3 full years and during its 1st production year, it was sold together with the runout RD04 (while there were still RD04s in the market - we call this the runout model, in this case it was the RD04 runout); likewise, the RD07 was sold together with the RD07a, during its (RD07's) last year of production.

So, when buying a Honda (car, bike or other) what you're looking into is the manufacturing year which must be the same or very close to the 1st registration (license plate) date.

I hope I helped clearing the confusion.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:38 AM   #12103
DominicDomingo
axe me anything

Quote:
My shipping is handled by the GoC... their going to box up all 5 of my bikes and ship them in a sea can with my furniture.

I am from the wet coast, but unfortunately moving to Ontario... not that I mind Ontario, but compared to B.C. the riding is junk.
Honestly now that I'm moving to BC and have to arrange space in a container for the AT and other household goods, I'm kinda wondering if I shouldn't buy a few more rare older bikes to take to Vancouver!

I could get my hands easily on a few Vespa Primaveras and Montesa Impalas. The economy here is totally in the dumps and people are offloading collectibles for cheap!

Old 02-14-2013, 04:16 AM   #12104
tattewell
Mad Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicDomingo View Post
Honestly now that I'm moving to BC and have to arrange space in a container for the AT and other household goods, I'm kinda wondering if I shouldn't buy a few more rare older bikes to take to Vancouver!

I could get my hands easily on a few Vespa Primaveras and Montesa Impalas. The economy here is totally in the dumps and people are offloading collectibles for cheap!

I would agree, another bike that would do well in that market is the late 90's Yamaha SR 500's with the wire wheels... never came to Canada after 1980 something, so again kinda rare and old school. But Tenere 750's, Africa Twins and Elafant's are all rare and would sell.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:19 AM   #12105
tattewell
Mad Poser

Quote:
I understand your concern.

I work for Honda since 1990 and at first I was a bit confused too.

The last Africa Twins sold in 2002/2003 were probably built in 2001/2002 but all of them are 1996 YMs (YM = Year Model) RD07a.

The YM has nothing to do with manufacturing year/date of 1st registration.

FWIW, the YMs for the AT are (if my mind serves me well - subject to further confirmation):
1988 RD03
1990 RD04
1993 RD07
1996 RD07a

The FMCs (Full Model Change) ocurred somewhere very close to the timelines above and originated a model name change (for example, RD07 changed to RD07a)
The MMCs (Minor Model Change) normally happens every year when there are some small changes to the model, sometimes, only stylistic and cosmetic changes and DOES NOT originate model name change.

For example, the RD07 was produced for 3 full years and during its 1st production year, it was sold together with the runout RD04 (while there were still RD04s in the market - we call this the runout model, in this case it was the RD04 runout); likewise, the RD07 was sold together with the RD07a, during its (RD07's) last year of production.

So, when buying a Honda (car, bike or other) what you're looking into is the manufacturing year which must be the same or very close to the 1st registration (license plate) date.

I hope I helped clearing the confusion.
I'll try this again as I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying. How is it physically possible for a bike to have been built after it was imported and licensed? Does Honda have a time machine? If yes, I want to go back in time and buy some brand new Africa Twins to pack in grease... one of every model will do nicely...