Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #226
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,844
The most important thing to try is how it feels for you with the screens all the way down. Not up, down. That way you avoid turbulence. If wind is what you don't want, I'm not certain what to say ... maybe a car would be better for you?

For me, the most annoying thing is turbulence. Got completely rid of it with a Palmer adjustable windshield. The stock small windshield with the Triumph adjuster set all the way down is also pretty good, but not as good as the Palmer. I get lots of air, just no turbulence at all.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #227
Deek
Deek / AdVentureMan

Oddometer: 72
"...The most important thing to try is how it feels for you with the screens all the way down. Not up, down. That way you avoid turbulence. If wind is what you don't want, I'm not certain what to say ... maybe a car would be better for you?..."

Well, that's one way - have the screen all the way down which will put your body and head into the slip stream...., n turbluence, but plenty of wind blast and also not so good for avoiding bugs, rain, etc. And that is not the only way to avoid turbulance at all! My BMW RT has no turbulence at all that I can feel when the windscreen is properly positioned, and that is normally near the full up position.

Pushing wind away from where it normally would go will cause some turblence, the trick is to put that turbulence where it doesn't irritate the rider. So there are other ways to avoid turbulence ......besides a car...

I think your comment to the OP was a little unkind, assuming you didn't mean it as a joke.
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #228
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek View Post
I think your comment to the OP was a little unkind, assuming you didn't mean it as a joke.
Hmmm. Do I need to put one of those smiley thingies really everywhere I write? To be honest: it was a tongue in cheek kind of comment, but I feel that way pretty much all the time when I hear people complaining about too much wind on a motorcycle.

And for the RT: when I test rode the 2010 RT with stock windshield, all positions of that windshield were much worse wrt noise than my current Palmer windshield set up. Sure, better protection, but again - if I really want all that protection I take the car. Love the RT, it's just not a bike for me right now.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:10 PM   #229
TAMPAJIM OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
There is a one size fits all windscreen.

It's really too bad you guys don't like how the Madstad looks because it functions so well.

Blocks the wind stream without introducing turbulence or vacuum, and is fully adjustable to suit any rider. It's convertible, in less than one minute you can go from full screen to fly screen. It has quickly detachable lower deflectors to get rid of the under air flow. And you can bolt RAM mounts to it.

It won't transform the T800 into a BMW RT because the aerodynamics just aren't there but it will turn the Tiger into a very comfortable road bike.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #230
Deek
Deek / AdVentureMan

"...It won't transform the T800 into a BMW RT because the aerodynamics just aren't there but it will turn the Tiger into a very comfortable road bike."

You raise a good point: there's lot more to it than just the windscreen. I am sure the Madstad would have been excellent on my Tiger. But I had other places for the $150 or so I "saved" by first trying a Givi 6401DT. I took a chance, which sounds like I would not have had to do with the Madstad. Finding a windscreen that works for most of us seems to take some trial and error! I lucked out with the Givi I think. I've had other bikes that I never could get "right", like a Honda VTX 1300 and a V-Strom. But others rave about the 'Strom's windscreen.....I was surprised the Tiger's stock screen worked as well as it did....it was the noise and pressure on my chest that was objectionable.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #231
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,886
At 5'10" tall, the tall adjustable screen works in the lowest position for me. In the top position, it sucks monkey balls.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:47 PM   #232
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM View Post
It's really too bad you guys don't like how the Madstad looks because it functions so well.

Blocks the wind stream without introducing turbulence or vacuum, and is fully adjustable to suit any rider. It's convertible, in less than one minute you can go from full screen to fly screen. It has quickly detachable lower deflectors to get rid of the under air flow. And you can bolt RAM mounts to it.

It won't transform the T800 into a BMW RT because the aerodynamics just aren't there but it will turn the Tiger into a very comfortable road bike.
one secret to the Madstad is that it does allow some air to come up the backside at the center. this backside air alleviates the vacuum at the top rear of your shield. look at any modern sport tourer shield and you'll see how some air gets under the lower edge and flows into the backside of the shield. this is called laminar flow and it's essential to smoother air at the top near your helmet.

the other secret is the screen is adjustable to you as far as height and importantly angle. no 2 people are alike so a screen that can not adjust this way will work for a few but be off for most. that's just physics. you'd be amazed how angling a Madstad back just slightly more is all of sudden the perfect position for you.

Madstad designs with effective function more than form (isn't that what ADV bikes do???). once you find that happy spot in adjustment all of a sudden a Madstad is the most beautiful screen ever because your head is happy.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #233
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 393
Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
one secret to the Madstad is that it does allow some air to come up the backside at the center. this backside air alleviates the vacuum at the top rear of your shield. look at any modern sport tourer shield and you'll see how some air gets under the lower edge and flows into the backside of the shield. this is called laminar flow and it's essential to smoother air at the top near your helmet.

the other secret is the screen is adjustable to you as far as height and importantly angle. no 2 people are alike so a screen that can not adjust this way will work for a few but be off for most. that's just physics. you'd be amazed how angling a Madstad back just slightly more is all of sudden the perfect position for you.

Madstad designs with effective function more than form (isn't that what ADV bikes do???). once you find that happy spot in adjustment all of a sudden a Madstad is the most beautiful screen ever because your head is happy.
Great to hear -- my 20 in light tint Explorer is due tomorrow.
BryanCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:24 PM   #234
spacekadet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek View Post
It's tough to find a solution sometimes....and you're that time apparently. You might try other things, like removing or adding a tankbag and a different helmet. Have any of the screens you're tried had one of those adjustable "flips" at the top? Might be worth a try. Also, is some wind able to enter under the lower, front part of the windscreen? I believe that helps "push" the airstream "up" as opposed to just following the contour of the screen right to the helmet top.

Please keep this thread updated.
Definitely would like to try some adjustable deflectors next. That seems like an accessible way to try something different, without spending a heap more money. Apparenly 21 degrees is the magic number - the limit of laminar flow of air, or something like that (well so says some dude on his web site, anyway).

FWIW I also tried the bike without any shield. That worked perfectly on my previous bike (GS650 Dakar), but it wasn't much of a success with the Tiger. The size and height of the instrument pod seems to make act like a very inefficient screen. I could get a sweet spot holding my hand just above and behind the "naked" pod.

Another relevant fact: with the original screen, my winter jacket made the situation worse. It has a big heavy collar and the screen was directing the jet under my helmet. The summer jacket has s small collar and worked better with that screen. Don't think it will matter now that the jet is part way up the helmet.

The original Tiger screen has a small gap underneath it. The tall screen has a bigger gap.
spacekadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:41 PM   #235
FuzzyDunlop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
At the risk of angering our moderator overloards, I'd just thought I'd mention that I have a 20" light grey adventure style Madstad for the Tiger 800 for sale. In Melbourne, Oz.

PM me if interested.

Check out my blog and let me know what you think

FuzzyDunlop screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 02:13 AM
FuzzyDunlop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:15 AM   #236
Deek
Deek / AdVentureMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacekadet View Post
.... I could get a sweet spot holding my hand just above and behind the "naked" pod.

Maybe another poster was correct in your case, and a smaller, "fly-screen" might work well for you? Something a bit smaller than the stock screen?
Old 02-14-2013, 06:58 AM   #237
frytown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
To spacekadet:

I'm the guy who posted the earlier pic of the MRA Vario (that met with aesthetic criticism).

I found that, while it worked well, it was very conditionally dependent. Side-winds, which I spend 40 miles a day combating, as well as turbulent air in heavy, fast traffic, upset the balance and the screen really wasn't great after all.

So, now I have the PowerBronze bikini, hooked up to the adjustable kit. It's not perfect, but it's much closer to smooth, clean air than anything else I've tried. Like your handmade sweet spot.

I think there's an image of a clear one on page 5 or so of this thread.

Will try to post a pic of mine later.

Fry
frytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:16 AM   #238
frytown
Adventurer

Here it is with the PowerBronze.
Not in the pic, but added recently are the 1050 handguards (which I like better than Barkbusters).
Also, not in the pic are the screen adjuster parts. They're on now, and the screen is tilted backward more than evident here.

photo(6) by frytown, on Flickr
Old 02-14-2013, 08:22 AM   #239
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post

The Madstad is the most amazing wind screen I have ever used...bar none. The look grows on you. I'm glad I gave it a try. Its the most functional farkle that I have purchased.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #240
frytown
Adventurer

Figured I'd update from my previous post:

tigeratwork by frytown, on Flickr