DominicDomingo
axe me anything

Oddometer: 7,096
Obrigado!

Mine has the number JH2RD07A2WM600061

Quote:
Originally Posted by Africa_Twin View Post
I understand your concern.

I work for Honda since 1990 and at first I was a bit confused too.

The last Africa Twins sold in 2002/2003 were probably built in 2001/2002 but all of them are 1996 YMs (YM = Year Model) RD07a.

The YM has nothing to do with manufacturing year/date of 1st registration.

FWIW, the YMs for the AT are (if my mind serves me well - subject to further confirmation):
1988 RD03
1990 RD04
1993 RD07
1996 RD07a

The FMCs (Full Model Change) ocurred somewhere very close to the timelines above and originated a model name change (for example, RD07 changed to RD07a)
The MMCs (Minor Model Change) normally happens every year when there are some small changes to the model, sometimes, only stylistic and cosmetic changes and DOES NOT originate model name change.

For example, the RD07 was produced for 3 full years and during its 1st production year, it was sold together with the runout RD04 (while there were still RD04s in the market - we call this the runout model, in this case it was the RD04 runout); likewise, the RD07 was sold together with the RD07a, during its (RD07's) last year of production.

So, when buying a Honda (car, bike or other) what you're looking into is the manufacturing year which must be the same or very close to the 1st registration (license plate) date.

I hope I helped clearing the confusion.

DominicDomingo screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 06:59 AM
DominicDomingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:04 AM   #12107
DominicDomingo
axe me anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattewell View Post
I am doing the same in July, as long as its produced before july 1998 for me im good, which theoretically could be a 99 model year, I think your safe.

edit: How is a 97 model year built in 98?
I think it's just because, now that I think back on it, the only reason I think it's a 97 is because the sales guy at the shop where I bought it used said it was, and he probably just looked at the import date. It might makes sense that it was imported late in 97, but was sold as a 98 model year?

On this link my paint scheme silver/gold appears on both model year 97+98.

Either way I'm gonna work with the original Spanish document when importing in Canada.

DominicDomingo screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 07:12 AM
Old 02-14-2013, 07:15 AM   #12108
DominicDomingo
axe me anything

Quote:
I would agree, another bike that would do well in that market is the late 90's Yamaha SR 500's with the wire wheels... never came to Canada after 1980 something, so again kinda rare and old school. But Tenere 750's, Africa Twins and Elafant's are all rare and would sell.
Honda Dominator
Honda CB1 (400cc) would be perfect for BC, cheap insurance and some 55hp
Yamaha xt600 or xt 500

Old 02-14-2013, 09:35 AM   #12109
Africa_Twin
Africa Twiner

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
I'll try this again as I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying. How is it physically possible for a bike to have been built after it was imported and licensed? Does Honda have a time machine? If yes, I want to go back in time and buy some brand new Africa Twins to pack in grease... one of every model will do nicely...
I too wish they had a time machine

But just for the sake of it, are you able to indicate the full VIN? You can send it to me via PM and I'll officially check it for you
Old 02-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #12110
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,904
Quote:
I'm kinda wondering if I shouldn't buy a few more rare older bikes to take to Vancouver!
Are you serious about this?

If so, PM me and we could talk about 1 machine at least.
Ladder106 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:08 AM   #12111
Africa_Twin
Africa Twiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicDomingo View Post
Obrigado!

Mine has the number JH2RD07A2WM600061

Uh oh!! You might want to re-check that VIN... take a look at this...

Maybe you mis-typed the number after the M... it should be a "3" instead of a "6".

Assuming the "3" is correct then this is a 98 AT first sold in Spain on 31 October 1997 (warranty start date). The Model is a 1998 (W VIN) and the original Engine Number is RD04E 2800039.
This bike arrived at Montesa Honda on 06 October 1997 and was invoiced to the selling Dealer on 24 of October 1997.

This goes correctly along with what I said above, in this case, the 1998 YM started selling on late 1997... common practice for Honda. Probably, there were dealers who still had some 1997YM bikes to sell but the customer wanted the new YM... this one was originally black (NH1 colour code - look for a sticker on the frame under the seat).

Now, if you insist the number after the M is a "6" (or any other number for that matter) you have a problem... all W VIN'ed ATs start their sequential manufacturing number (the last 6 digits of the VIN) with a "3"...

So check this carefully and also check your engine number...

Não precisas agradecer...
Old 02-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #12112
DominicDomingo
axe me anything

Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Africa_Twin View Post
Uh oh!! You might want to re-check that VIN... take a look at this...

Maybe you mis-typed the number after the M... it should be a "3" instead of a "6".

Assuming the "3" is correct then this is a 98 AT first sold in Spain on 31 October 1997 (warranty start date). The Model is a 1998 (W VIN) and the original Engine Number is RD04E 2800039.
This bike arrived at Montesa Honda on 06 October 1997 and was invoiced to the selling Dealer on 24 of October 1997.

This goes correctly along with what I said above, in this case, the 1998 YM started selling on late 1997... common practice for Honda. Probably, there were dealers who still had some 1997YM bikes to sell but the customer wanted the new YM... this one was originally black (NH1 colour code - look for a sticker on the frame under the seat).

Now, if you insist the number after the M is a "6" (or any other number for that matter) you have a problem... all W VIN'ed ATs start their sequential manufacturing number (the last 6 digits of the VIN) with a "3"...

So check this carefully and also check your engine number...

Não precisas agradecer...
You're absolutely right, it's a 3 not a 6. I had been looking at grainy mobile phone picture but now I'm looking at the bike papers. Thanks for sorting that out for me!

Old 02-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #12113
Africa_Twin
Africa Twiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicDomingo View Post
You're absolutely right, it's a 3 not a 6. I had been looking at grainy mobile phone picture but now I'm looking at the bike papers. Thanks for sorting that out for me!
Glad it's sorted
Old 02-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #12114
yeljac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Transport Canada ( www.tc.gc.ca/eng/menu.htm)

Importer must be able to provide proof that the vehicle is fifteen (15) years old or older as determined by the month and year of manufacture.
yeljac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:30 PM   #12115
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeljac View Post
Transport Canada ( www.tc.gc.ca/eng/menu.htm)

Importer must be able to provide proof that the vehicle is fifteen (15) years old or older as determined by the month and year of manufacture.
I recently imported a '96 Transalp from Germany to Canada which in the end proved to be a fairly simple process. Of course you first have to meet the 15 year rule and also ensure that you have the original title (official documentation paperwork) of the m'cycle from the country it came from. Also a 'bill of sale' in which the following form should work in any province. http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/pdf/mv/REG3126.pdf
That's it. You then pay the man at the Canada Border Services the GST in which they stamp the paper work giving you the clearance to go pick it up and in my case it was Air Canada Cargo. Besides the cost of shipping their was a $59 brokerage fee.
If anyone here is planning a trip to Germany and is serious about importing a motorcycle using the above rule you can PM me as I have contact in Frankfurt who can help you with logistics. The closer the bike is to Frankfurt the better. He is also a motorcycle enthusiast who happens to own an Africa Twin. Again...if your serious...drop me a PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:21 AM   #12116
DominicDomingo
axe me anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPD750 View Post
I recently imported a '96 Transalp from Germany to Canada which in the end proved to be a fairly simple process. Of course you first have to meet the 15 year rule and also ensure that you have the original title (official documentation paperwork) of the m'cycle from the country it came from. Also a 'bill of sale' in which the following form should work in any province. http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/pdf/mv/REG3126.pdf
That's it. You then pay the man at the Canada Border Services the GST in which they stamp the paper work giving you the clearance to go pick it up and in my case it was Air Canada Cargo. Besides the cost of shipping their was a $59 brokerage fee.
If anyone here is planning a trip to Germany and is serious about importing a motorcycle using the above rule you can PM me as I have contact in Frankfurt who can help you with logistics. The closer the bike is to Frankfurt the better. He is also a motorcycle enthusiast who happens to own an Africa Twin. Again...if your serious...drop me a PM.
That's all very helpful GSPD and I might hit you up for some info. I'm lucky to be right by the port of Barcelona and have found a transport company willing to work with me. The agent I spoke said I could ride the AT to their warehouse and work there to palletize it, and also told me to really enquire with Canada about the legalities because he didn't want me to move the bike for nothing. I have the 2 only official Spanish documents for the bikes: the technical card and the licence to circulate, further to that I have the original receipt from the shop in Barcelona where I bought the bike used in 2006, so it´s looking good.

I will ask inmate Africa_Twin, who works for Honda if he can email me the printout from the Honda intraweb he showed earlier, because I can´t seem to access it myself.

I should end up with one of the cooler bikes in Vancouver and a great backroads explorer!

Old 02-15-2013, 06:31 AM   #12117
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,517
Plus you'll get a cool X-Ray picture of your bike when it goes through customs, right Wayne?
Old 02-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #12118
GSPD750
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rowley View Post
Plus you'll get a cool X-Ray picture of your bike when it goes through customs, right Wayne?
That's right...which is good for finding cracks in the sub-frame. It's not even a requirement to drain the gas tank. Providing it's not full to the brim or totally empty....but 1/4 full is fine. Only requirement is to disconnect the battery prior to strapping it to a palet. Crate is not necessary as you would only be paying for that extra weight.

Speaking of cool bikes across the pond that you don't see over here and a current fav of mine would be the Honda NX 650. Yeah...honda uses the Colours of Benetton on this model but i still like it. A great day tripper to flic around the bush. Throw some soft bags on it and your good.

Following '96. You can find many of these older models hardly thrashed at all.

Pipes that have never seen mud. I want one.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #12119
alainmax
ca vaut le detour !!

Oddometer: 615
...and i'm now waiting another 24 years to ship a 660 Tenere overhere !!! let s keep in touch , Wayne
Old 02-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #12120
GSPD750
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alainmax View Post
...and i'm now waiting another 24 years to ship a 660 Tenere overhere !!! let s keep in touch , Wayne
Hello Alain...sounds like you had a great trip in the Andes. I would like to hear about it someday. Well it's +8C here today and I'm putting my soldering/crimping skills to work with the installation of the Mosfet R/R into my AT.

Hopefully it will look like Jim's from Eastern Beaver. His pic.

My task today is to install the following.