Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 09:00 AM   #5911
kerhonky
Adventure Poser

Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnclem View Post
The biggest question that comes to my mind is, what does that say about the condition of my life?

Wait....are you saying that's a stupid question? I can come up with a stupid answer if you want.

"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramiriez, otherwise known as "The Rat."
kerhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:51 PM   #5912
jnclem
True Airhead

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGSROOT View Post
I think it says more about your rekindled passion for motorbikes.

And that it's Feb, and you live in the beautiful but snowbound state of Colorado...

Hope ADVRIDER helps you through the winter!
You got it. I must have packed that bike mentally for my first Spring road/camping trip 50 times. Can't even get up my north facing ice filled driveway, and it was still -8 this morning. But, Spring is right around the corner!!

I have been enjoying the insanity and banter of this site a lot.
jnclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #5913
WDG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterman View Post
"Do you know why I stopped you?"
"Why DID you stop me?"

Or, my favorite response that pretty much covers any question: "What makes you ask that?"

Choosing a ride is much too personal to be left entirely to comparisons of spec sheets.
WDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #5914
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterman View Post
dumbest question anyone asks,,

"Do you know why I stopped you?"
Every time I've heard that they've just wanted my autograph.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #5915
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDG View Post
"Why DID you stop me?"

Or, my favorite response that pretty much covers any question: "What makes you ask that?"
I once responded to that question with "No, the only reason I stopped was to find out why."

Amazingly, I got a performance award that day. No sense of humor....

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #5916
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Amazingly, I got a performance award that day. No sense of humor....
The only thing that seems to work for me is showing humility and true sorrow for having broken the law. Okay, that and appearing to be "older".

Old 02-15-2013, 10:42 PM   #5917
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
The only thing that seems to work for me is showing humility and true sorrow for having broken the law. Okay, that and appearing to be "older".

I was a lot younger then, and I've since learned. I haven't had a ticket in over a decade now. I have had some close calls though. I got pulled over testing the top speed of a new to me Bonnie/Cargo Hack. I was fully loaded and blasting down an isolated stretch of highway at the end of a 3k mile trip, a mere 20 miles from home. About the time I got it up to 87, I see lights. He asked me how fast the rig would go. I told him "I don't know, only had it two weeks. That's what I was trying to figure out though. What did you clock me at?" He looked at me in disbelief. We ended up having a nice conversation. He took my info, ran my tags, and let me off with a simple "Be safe next time."

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:57 PM   #5918
GPrairie_Rider
Dirt Junkie

Oddometer: 931
I bought my XRL last Saturday, couldnt be happier. Well i have to ride it 100 miles back home, i got asked some pretty stupid questions. Never got asked that when i was on the sportbike.....

1. Is that thing street legal?
2. You need to help me push you out of the parking spot? ( okay i know i aint the tallest dude alive but damn, it one of my dream bikes.)

Why do Dual Sports/ Adventure bikes get all the attention?

Chris
Old 02-16-2013, 04:29 AM   #5919
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjsgptx View Post
I bought my XRL last Saturday, couldnt be happier. Well i have to ride it 100 miles back home, i got asked some pretty stupid questions. Never got asked that when i was on the sportbike.....

1. Is that thing street legal?
2. You need to help me push you out of the parking spot? ( okay i know i aint the tallest dude alive but damn, it one of my dream bikes.)

Chris
I don't get that much, but I do get stares from just about every policeman when they see it - until they see the turn signals and/or license plate. DS's just aren't that common in major metropolitan and suburban areas.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:24 AM   #5920
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjsgptx View Post

Chris
Maybe it's inspirational to the uninitiated.

Who wouldn't like the idea of jumping on a motorcycle that can take you to the backwoods to explore areas that many may never see, then bring you back?

...Isn't that why you bought it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey View Post
None of us are exceptionally skilled riders (excepting when I'm drunk, then I'm fcking quick).
BK.RD.RNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #5921
squad314
Regular Joe

Oddometer: 99
20 years ago just after I bought my second Harley I pulled into work one evening when I was off duty. A number of guys came out to check it out and one of our Job's notorious Bigmouths arrived. Elbowing the guy beside him and speaking Loud enough to get everyone's attention, Bigmouth points to the air cleaner cover and says...

"What does this mean '80 cubic inches Fatboy'?"

Me..."80 cubic inches is the engine displacement, it's 1340 cc's and Fatboy is the model name"

BM laughs and sarcastically says..."Fatboy? That's kind of fitting isn't it?"

Me..."That's right and when Harley Davidson makes one called a 'F***ing A**hole' I think YOU should buy one"

The group erupts with laughter and Bigmouth is left sneering at me nodding his head with an "Ill get you" look on his face. I smile politely with an "anything else?" look on my face and he leaves red faced.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:00 PM   #5922
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,718
I had a kid tell me the other day, after seeing me putting my gear on, he has a bike. OK.
Said it's a 750Vstar and he has had it up to 120mph. OK.
He got it, didn't know who to ride, so he watched Youtube videos to learn. OK.
Said he got caught without a MC endorsement and got in big trouble with the law, lost his license, etc. OK.
I said you should take the MSF course at the local community college when you get your bike back.
Said he did. He said he now wants to take the experienced rider course because he wants to learn how to do wheelies. I told him they won't teach him how to do wheelies. He said, "yeah, I figured." I hurried up and got the hell out of there! What a TFM!
The sad part is, he's the nephew of a friend of mine...

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #5923
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I had a kid tell me the other day, after seeing me putting my gear on, he has a bike. OK.
Said it's a 750Vstar and he has had it up to 120mph. OK.
He got it, didn't know who to ride, so he watched Youtube videos to learn. OK.
Said he got caught without a MC endorsement and got in big trouble with the law, lost his license, etc. OK.
I said you should take the MSF course at the local community college when you get your bike back.
Said he did. He said he now wants to take the experienced rider course because he wants to learn how to do wheelies. I told him they won't teach him how to do wheelies. He said, "yeah, I figured." I hurried up and got the hell out of there! What a TFM!
The sad part is, he's the nephew of a friend of mine...
Ummmmmm Late at night, fairly thick fog, I did what I have to say was a pretty damned good wheelie.

Cops really don't seem to appreciate a good wheelie like normal people do. Young cop about half my age comes up and yells at me: "Do you feel really smart, or really stupid right now?"

I said "Ummmmmmm"

Then the radio comes on and I have expired plates....

He mutters something about 'Jesus Christ"

he takes my Lic and goes back to the car.

A few seconds later comes running back and says he's gonna let me slide on the reckless driving because he's gotta go to a domestic violence call.

Honeslty, I felt pretty damned smart at that point, I got out of a reckless driving, expired plate AND probably a DUI as well.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:47 AM   #5924
ATH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
A few seconds later comes running back and says he's gonna let me slide on the reckless driving because he's gotta go to a domestic violence call.
My wife was pulled over a number of years ago for speeding (small back road). Policeman asks for license and registration. He returns to his car to check it all out.

Suddenly, she sees the lights go on and he takes off, obviously on another call ... with her license and registration.

She sat there shocked, not knowing what to do. A few minutes later he returned and handed her back her papers along with the ticket and a sheepish "Sorry."
Old 02-19-2013, 06:08 AM   #5925
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Back when I was 20 and stupid I was HAULING ASS in a buddy's Chevelle SS in the two way left turn lane in the middle of a five lane road to get by traffic. I have no idea how fast I was going but I was going about as fast as a punched 454 would let me.

I saw a Seattle PD car several blocks ahead in the right lane and hoped that he hadn't seen me in his mirrors. I slowed down immediately and took the next right, then a left, parked it and waited about five minutes.

When I got back on the main road and went a few blocks, sure enough, he was off on a side road waiting for me. He pulled in behind me and lit me up. My two buddies and I were headed back to the dorm from the head shop where we'd just pitched in together to buy a ginormous 3 foot bong. It was in the passenger compartment and way too big to hide from the LEO if he came up to the window so I got out and met him between our cars.

I don't think he knew how fast I'd actually been going earlier because he didn't seem extremely upset with me. While I started giving him a line of bullshit about it not being my car, blah, blah, blah he got a call over the radio, handed me my license, told me to slow down and took off to respond to whatever it was. Phew!
duck is offline   Reply With Quote