User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 03:07 AM   #6061
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,796
Road Wise

It ended kind of abruptly with an engine that "blew up." Not quite the endorsement of minimalist touring I was looking for.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:45 AM   #6062
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipinn View Post
I have been lurking for some time now and enjoying all the post on here. I see a lot in common of what I enjoy having to do with motorcycling and I see a lot of people in my own age group too. Like some of you here I am now more interested in a lighter bike and ease of handling. I am 65 and find that I feel more confident on my trusted 250 than I do on my bigger bikes. I have a xr250l I bought new back in 1996 and most of the time it has been a shed queen. I have 1150 miles on it now as an example. I recently took it out aand started getting it all ship shape again, The biggest problem I have always had with that bike is it has ben hard to start. I bought a xr250 carb and that did not help much so went back to the stock carb. I think I finally found two problems that caused the hard starting.The decompression lever has now been deactivated and I have done the accellerator pump fix. Now it starts much easier than before but I still dream of electric start from time to time LOL..
I just ordered a set of luggage from the walmart web site that is pretty reasonable and a tank bag. I installed a new windshield this week as well. My next project will be to research the Rack's available for next month's update.
Thanks for all the good tip's on here.
I had one and it didn't like to start either. I did some searchin' and found they are very lean. Easy fix. The air/fuel screw has a tab on it so you can't turn it too far. I just dremeled that ear off so I could richen it up. Then you just have to open the carb and raise the needle using 2 little washers. Reinstall and she will kick to life with ease EVERY time.
Here's a little vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMlw6NlgRYA
Old 02-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #6063
shipman
don't sweat minutiae

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by conchscooter View Post
It ended kind of abruptly with an engine that "blew up." Not quite the endorsement of minimalist touring I was looking for.
Not exactly, but to me it was more about the sense of adventure and taking things as they come... Just buy a Chinese bike and ride the hell out of it till it breaks!
"The secret to happiness is realistic, modest expectations" - Barry Schwartz
shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #6064
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fabian View Post
I took 50 days to do 7,000 miles across the United States in the heat of 2012.

I traveled solo & camped most of the way. You can read about it on the blog I wrote at the time. I called the my trip, The Coulee.
My vehicle of choice, a 150cc scooter.
Just read the whole Coulee and enjoyed every word. Thanks for posting.

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #6065
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,481
Quote:
A Honda, Suzuki or Yamaha scooter wouldn't blow up
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #6066
John Fabian
Fabe

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Keep looking & good luck.
John Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #6067
John Fabian
Fabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppawheelie View Post
Just read the whole Coulee and enjoyed every word. Thanks for posting.
It was a great ride except for the blazing heat in the Great Plains. Glad you enjoyed the Writeup. -J
Old 02-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #6068
John Fabian
Fabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Maybe not, maybe so. It sucked a valve into the cylinder and spun the timing belt off. The engine had about 28K miles on it. In the best of worlds I should have pulled it all apart before I took off and do a complete tuneup. But I didn't. I just jumped on and drove it across the USA. I'm okay with the outcome. -J
Old 02-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #6069
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fabian View Post
Maybe not, maybe so. It sucked a valve into the cylinder and spun the timing belt off. The engine had about 28K miles on it. In the best of worlds I should have pulled it all apart before I took off and do a complete tuneup. But I didn't. I just jumped on and drove it across the USA. I'm okay with the outcome. -J
Ya rode, ya had a good time....what else is there?
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #6070
John Fabian
Fabe

Quote:
Ya rode, ya had a good time....what else is there?
:-) nada
Old 02-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #6071
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Not true. I've known of the small Yamaha scooters to blow up when run day after day at speed in hot weather. It's not what there're built for. I think the Chinese 150 did an admirable job considering the strain and 30,000 miles of use. The rider was happy with it.

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #6072
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppawheelie View Post
Not true. I've known of the small Yamaha scooters to blow up when run day after day at speed in hot weather. It's not what there're built for. I think the Chinese 150 did an admirable job considering the strain and 30,000 miles of use. The rider was happy with it.
You're correct. I have ridden my Zongshen 200GY-2 over 53,000 miles, and it is still running strong.

I'm not trying to contradict anyone in particular. However, people who bash Chinese motorcycles usually don't have any experience with them whatsoever.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:45 PM   #6073
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 584
Enjoying your RR blog Fabian . Your trip is what it is all about , you had a rough idea what you wanted to see and went forth . Anything can fail and you used it to it fullest , hell some starbucks runners have spent more in farkles than you have in your rig .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #6074
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipinn View Post
I have been lurking for some time now and enjoying all the post on here. I see a lot in common of what I enjoy having to do with motorcycling and I see a lot of people in my own age group too. Like some of you here I am now more interested in a lighter bike and ease of handling. I am 65 and find that I feel more confident on my trusted 250 than I do on my bigger bikes. I have a xr250l I bought new back in 1996 and most of the time it has been a shed queen. I have 1150 miles on it now as an example. I recently took it out aand started getting it all ship shape again, The biggest problem I have always had with that bike is it has ben hard to start. I bought a xr250 carb and that did not help much so went back to the stock carb. I think I finally found two problems that caused the hard starting.The decompression lever has now been deactivated and I have done the accellerator pump fix. Now it starts much easier than before but I still dream of electric start from time to time LOL..
I just ordered a set of luggage from the walmart web site that is pretty reasonable and a tank bag. I installed a new windshield this week as well. My next project will be to research the Rack's available for next month's update.
Thanks for all the good tip's on here.
Have you rejetted the carb/adjusted the pilot screw?.That seems to be a fix for hard starting(jetted too lean perhaps?).
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #6075
OBryan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Picked up My new tires, tubes, sprockets and chain for my gz..With gas prices shooting up like they have I'm probably going to get it all on tomorrow..Maybe even sneak a ride in if I can.. Thinking about heading to Hebron access on the north fork river.. Has a old steel bridge there
OBryan is offline   Reply With Quote