User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
jmklint OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Eek To "r" or not to "r" - need new purchase help

I just sold my 08' BMW Adventure and will be buying a new 990 adventure in the next month. So here is my dilemma. I'm 5'10", 220, like long rides on a rock laden beach?? lol. In all seriousness, I know these bikes are tall. I wear Forma Adventure boots which are not only awesome but they add about 2 inches to my inseam. I am used to tall bikes, I also have a ktm 450, Yamaha WR450 and I've rode competitively up to a few years ago when my wife said it was time to quit the Hare Scrambles, so I'm confident off-road. I'm leaning towards the Adventure R but I would like to sit back and listen to anybody who is willing to chime in either for or against. Thank you for your time to respond and I look forward to joining the big bore KTM boys.

jmklint screwed with this post 02-12-2013 at 08:49 PM Reason: to change font
jmklint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
OlivierS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
I find the 21 inch front wheel to be a bit slippery in heavy rains, it has scorpion tire's on it, it is the first big bore bike I ever owned, so I am not sure if it is me, the bike or wheel/tire.

I would get the R if I bought a knew one though, don't know why, but I know I would regret it later if i didn't.
OlivierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:22 PM   #3
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,237
Go R!!!

You can handle the height, since you already know the boot height trick. You'll enjoy the ride as you'll know how to put it to use.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:12 AM   #4
Jim Colombotos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Or have someone like Super plush lower bike..... give up some travel for less hassle at stop signs ect...
More important abs or not more lever travel with abs. For me its been an on going issue, Im thinking of losing abs and replumbing. ugh!
Jim Colombotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:27 AM   #5
spencergt66
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
You can handle the height, since you already know the boot height trick. You'll enjoy the ride as you'll know how to put it to use.
Go with the r or s even, doubt you can find one, I am the same size as you I seem to handle mine just fine desert surfer can vouch for that one, just do your self one favor take the stock scorpions and throw them in the garbage
spencergt66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:01 AM   #6
luvmyhilux
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
I had an S, I've just bough a new R, buy the R if you can still find a new unregistered one, the new 1190 is getting away from th epurity of the original design, look after it and in years to come, the R model 990 will be collectable (imho).........

if your still undecided, go to the local TV super store and look at the 50'' LCD 3D TV's, then go and look at the 60''.........see which one looks / performs the best!
luvmyhilux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:53 AM   #7
SauceSquatch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
I have an S and I mostly ride on roads, I'm 5'10 as well and I think if the bike was any higher I would have trouble with it. And I do have to say that the ABS is really nice sometimes and has saved my a$$ at least twice...

I also got a hell of a deal on a new 2010 last year because everyone wanted the R and it sat for over a year on the floor.

You should try both but coming from dirt you might be better on the R
SauceSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:54 AM   #8
Phil in K.C.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
[QUOTE=jmklint;20713110]I just sold my 08' BMW Adventure and will be buying a new 990 adventure in the next month.

OOOOOH the BMW MOA is NOT going to be happy!

Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff......Frank Zappa
Phil in K.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:14 AM   #9
jmklint OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
thanks for your input, i'm certain thats the direction i want to go
Old 02-14-2013, 12:18 AM   #10
jmklint OP
Adventurer

[QUOTE=Phil in K.C.;20714968]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmklint View Post
I just sold my 08' BMW Adventure and will be buying a new 990 adventure in the next month.

OOOOOH the BMW MOA is NOT going to be happy!
lol, i loved my beamer for most things but it just turned into a plow with myself and gear on it off road. even you only ride off road 20%, that 20% is frikin miserable. cant wait for my ktm, im definitely going with the R
Old 02-14-2013, 12:20 AM   #11
jmklint OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Colombotos View Post
Or have someone like Super plush lower bike..... give up some travel for less hassle at stop signs ect...
More important abs or not more lever travel with abs. For me its been an on going issue, Im thinking of losing abs and replumbing. ugh!
thanks for the input, Im going with the R
Old 02-14-2013, 12:22 AM   #12
jmklint OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Colombotos View Post
im with you on the ABS. i hated it on the beamer while off road. I could never really turn it completely off. it was nice on road but im used to not having it
Old 02-14-2013, 02:16 AM   #13
Martynho
ChileGringo

Oddometer: 402
Go for the R

Hi, I am also 5 ft 10, with an enduro background but now retired. I had a std 990 and then moved up to one of the higher R`s (a 2010) 2 years ago. I ride on and off road and also 2 up with the missus, all with no problem. You need to think about coming to a stop and read the terrain, thats about it. Once on the go all is good. Very good.
Martynho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #14
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 17,475
Touching the ground is over-rated.

Signed, a 2010 990R owning, 5'-8" tall, 30" inseam, orange fanatic!
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:24 PM   #15
fallondemo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I just bought a leftover 2011 R. Had a choice between the R and the standard and I went with the "R". The only time I find the height a problem is situations like backing out of parking spots or really low speed maneuvers. I will look into lowering it a tad but not much. I think my confidence will increase once I get some protection on the bike.
fallondemo is offline   Reply With Quote