ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 02:08 PM   #16081
Dirty bike
Eval Innovations Inc
 
Dirty bike's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Ivins, UT
Oddometer: 797
Funny thing about the whole color BS. When I bought my S10 the dealer had two coming on the PDP, (I was late to the party), and one spoken for. He knew he had one of each color coming, but couldn't figure out which color was the one already spoken for. He tried to tell me he had 10 people interested in the available bike, all ready to see it and sit on it when it came in. You know, 'serious buyers'

After I explained that I was ready to buy the bike then, and didn't need to see it, sit on it, make vroom, vroom noises and didn't care what color it was, he realized we were negotiating. I got a decent deal, in part because Yamaha was still saying December delivery after the tsunami issues. The day after I did the deal, the dealer got the notification that deliveries would actually happen as originally planned in August.

Bragging about what color bike you have is sort of sad. I'd rather read the ride reports or talk about places the bike took you. Pluric has some great tales to share, if he'd just stop waxing the damn thing.
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #16082
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 16,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty bike View Post
Pluric has some great tales to share, if he'd just stop waxing the damn thing.
Day 1. Snowed in. Bike is in the garage on a battery tender. Light is solid green so full charge.
Day 2. Still snowed in removed battery tender and put it on KLR.
Day 3. Started bike without touching the throttle. Forgot to open garage door. CO2 detector working. Bad headache.
Day 4. Stacked some more crap on the bike. Now using it to hang wet clothes on to dry from snow shoveling all day.
Day 5. Swapped battery tender back.
Day 6. See day one.

Yup I've got riviting riding tales alright.
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #16083
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 16,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
I must find time to do some farkles and post it.... this thread is going from bad to worst
What do you think the non ST owners are going to think about us...
I'm starting to miss even the KLR comments!!

One more thing I'll be up all night worrying about.
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #16084
Super Tenere
Voyager
 
Super Tenere's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Oddometer: 328
Fender cover

DIY $2 inside rear fender cover, offers good protection for the rear break reservoir and no more tire spatter coming up through the side hole.
To lock it down, one SS bolt with self locking nut and washer at front center location, and on the exhaust side made a small slit in cover, plus a SS clamp to side bar.
To protect the brake hose I slit open an old extension wire (3 inch long) and pushed it onto the front curved edge, also used some old self stick foam on front straight edge.
Made this from an old aluminum snow shovel that had a broken handle, cost to make was about 2 hours of tinkering and maybe $2 worth of hardware.





Super Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #16085
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 16,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tenere View Post
cost to make was about 2 hours of tinkering and maybe $2 worth of hardware.
Often the best kind of farkle.
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:36 PM   #16086
Dirty bike
Eval Innovations Inc
 
Dirty bike's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Ivins, UT
Oddometer: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Day 1. Snowed in. Bike is in the garage on a battery tender. Light is solid green so full charge.
Day 2. Still snowed in removed battery tender and put it on KLR.
Day 3. Started bike without touching the throttle. Forgot to open garage door. CO2 detector working. Bad headache.
Day 4. Stacked some more crap on the bike. Now using it to hang wet clothes on to dry from snow shoveling all day.
Day 5. Swapped battery tender back.
Day 6. See day one.

Yup I've got riviting riding tales alright.
Wait a minute, if you shoveled snow all day, why didn't you have a path to the street and go for a ride? The high is above freezing every day this coming 7 days. Not even forecasting for any chance of snow until Sunday.

Think I'll go for a ride. It's sunny and 69F on the thermometer here and I'm in the same state. Maybe you're bike isn't really blue, it's just cold?
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #16087
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 16,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty bike View Post
Wait a minute, if you shoveled snow all day, why didn't you have a path to the street and go for a ride? The high is above freezing every day this coming 7 days. Not even forecasting for any chance of snow until Sunday.

Think I'll go for a ride. It's sunny and 69F on the thermometer here and I'm in the same state. Maybe you're bike isn't really blue, it's just cold?
You Southern boys don't know cold. Heading to the lake for a glorious weekend of
Snowmobiles, snow tubes, towing snow toys, snowmen, snow forts, snowball fights,
anything you can put the word 'snow' in front of.

There is hope for warming weather. Vengence shall be mine!
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #16088
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb
 
BobLoblaw's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Oddometer: 1,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
You Southern boys don't know cold. Heading to the lake for a glorious weekend of
Snowmobiles, snow tubes, towing snow toys, snowmen, snow forts, snowball fights,
anything you can put the word 'snow' in front of.

There is hope for warming weather. Vengence shall be mine!

snowsex not to be confused with NOsex
__________________
Ride till you can't - Marty Hill
BobLoblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:12 PM   #16089
Dirty bike
Eval Innovations Inc
 
Dirty bike's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Ivins, UT
Oddometer: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
You Southern boys don't know cold. Heading to the lake for a glorious weekend of
Snowmobiles, snow tubes, towing snow toys, snowmen, snow forts, snowball fights,
anything you can put the word 'snow' in front of.

There is hope for warming weather. Vengence shall be mine!
Earlier this year the wife and I went for a little three hour ride in 19F temps. Her heated jacket liner died so we came home early instead of adding another 100 miles or so to the ride.

Just do it. It's not like you got any real snow like the guys back East did.
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #16090
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 16,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
snowsex not to be confused with NOsex
She may be a bit frigid but the cold gives me a valid excuse for having a little icicle.

pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #16091
jly51
Adventurer
 
jly51's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Northwest Tennessee
Oddometer: 41
You are a sick puppy.
jly51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:06 PM   #16092
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 9,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty bike View Post
Earlier this year the wife and I went for a little three hour ride in 19F temps. Her heated jacket liner died so we came home early instead of adding another 100 miles or so to the ride.

Just do it. It's not like you got any real snow like the guys back East did.
It's the black ice that concerns me, not the snow. Puts you on your ass in a flash.
__________________
2014 350 EXC-F
2011 XT1200Z
2009 FLHR
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #16093
TH
There and Here
 
TH's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Northern VA
Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tenere View Post
DIY $2 inside rear fender cover, offers good protection for the rear break reservoir and no more tire spatter coming up through the side hole.
That would make any KLR owner proud! Good job, now I need to find a beat up ol' shovel to do my mine.
__________________
"doggone and dagnabit! That's what I call a whopping' big rabbit."
Keep the rubber side down
'01 Sprint ST '12 Super Tenere
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #16094
Icecold Dan
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Cape Fear Coast
Oddometer: 539
Spend my money!

$1500 budget, first mods/farkles?
__________________
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts" -Mark Twain
Icecold Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #16095
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 16,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecold Dan View Post
$1500 budget, first mods/farkles?
Some may disagree, I'd do the reflash for a perfect running motor.
The rest is all personal depending on use.
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014