Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 12:18 AM   #301
kimangao OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
It was already late, when Remi and me arrived in Ouarzazate. We just took the next available place to crash (with a reasonable price). In the morning it turns out to be a rather splendid hotel.

Not far from Ouarzazate to the north lies the ancient city of Ait Ben Haddou. It is listed as a UNESCO Wolrd Heritage site an loads of movies used it as scenery like Kingdom of Heaven, Alexander, Gladiatior, Jesus of Nazareth.

To me again this is one of the place you may realise the dreams of your childhood. This is the place where adventurous stories take place, isn't it?

Reality of course is something different than those dreams but for a while I enjoy being in another time of my own life.

Most people living here try to sell souvenirs to tourists like this gentleman. When I meet him his day is already done and he is so kind as to let me share his company while he makes his supper. Have a look at the post card in the top right corner. Do you remember the place?

I could stay in Ait Ben Haddou for days. Try to imagine how life must have been here 50 years, 100 years ago!

We're crossing Tizi N'Tichka with 2260m one of the highest tarmaced roads in Morocco on the way to Rabat, the capital.

In the heart of Rabat we come across the Mausoleum of King Mohammed V, the grandfather of todays king Mohammed VI. The builing with its snow-white facade is considered to be a masterpiece of modern Morrocan architecture.

This tower, right next to the Mausoleum, is much older. It was supposed to be part of a mosque that was never completed. The constructions began 900 ago.

Keep this tower in mind because you will see it again. On this journey, yes, but in another city, on another continent. Any ideas?

Cheers

Dirk
Old 02-12-2013, 02:01 AM   #302
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,614
Loving the Pictures man! Especially Morocco. Bringing back some memories.

Keep up the amazing RR!
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #303
kktos
on a bright side of life

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimangao View Post
Keep this tower in mind because you will see it again. On this journey, yes, but in another city, on another continent. Any ideas?
you have one of its sisters in Marrakesh ;) The Koutoubia.
The other is in the "country of the barbarians".....
kktos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #304
Mr Pif
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
and till that moment of your trip now u r riding with a rear Metzeler Tourance??????????????????????????????????
i have tested them on gravel road fearing that i'll call road assistance after a few Km.but i didn't.
now i'm sure that it's a tyre not only for ''on road'' performance.
once again your photos are state of the art,
Mr Pif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #305
rhino1987
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Dirk,

I'm trying to order your book for shipping to the United States, but Touratech US doesn't carry it and I wasn't able to choose a US shipping address from the .de Touratech site. Any suggestions how to buy it?
rhino1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:47 PM   #306
BCBackRoads
Travels with Gumby

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimangao View Post

Simply amazing picture. The warmth and light from the open door looks so welcoming in the twilight.

Great thread! Looking forward to more.

Wayne
Old 02-14-2013, 12:18 AM   #307
kimangao OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino1987 View Post
Dirk,

I'm trying to order your book for shipping to the United States, but Touratech US doesn't carry it and I wasn't able to choose a US shipping address from the .de Touratech site. Any suggestions how to buy it?
Hi Rhino,
I'm sorry about that. What they have is the 60min movie-DVD. Don't know if that could be an alternative for you. About the book: I've sent you a pm.

Cheers

Dirk
Old 02-14-2013, 12:22 AM   #308
kimangao OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pif View Post
and till that moment of your trip now u r riding with a rear Metzeler Tourance??????????????????????????????????
i have tested them on gravel road fearing that i'll call road assistance after a few Km.but i didn't.
now i'm sure that it's a tyre not only for ''on road'' performance.
once again your photos are state of the art,
I have to admit that the Tourance was the only tyre I could get before going to Morocco after the rear TKC80 had gone. The one in the front made it through Morocco. After returning back to Spain I bought a new set of TKC80 that was supposed to last to Cairo. In the end it had to last till home, about 25.000kms. Don't ask me how they looked like
Old 02-14-2013, 01:35 AM   #309
JohnnyTh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Wish there was some way to reach out to those girls. One thing is to give money to a organisation, somthing else to know who it is your helping out.
JohnnyTh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:38 AM   #310
kimangao OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTh View Post
Wish there was some way to reach out to those girls. One thing is to give money to a organisation, somthing else to know who it is your helping out.
Johnny, you're so right! We're supporting a boy in Kenya whom we know personally since he was very small. Keeping in touch with him and visiting him made and makes a difference in his and also our lives.
A child focused development organisation who offers personal contact to the child you're supporting is Plan.

http://plan-international.org/what-y...ponsor-a-child

Two friends of mine recently did a bike trip to meet "their" girl in Sambia. Another great individual adventure ...

Cheers

Dirk
Old 02-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #311
=[BAD]=TEX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
AWESOME PHOTOS!, AWESOME RR!!
=[BAD]=TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #312
kimangao OP
Studly Adventurer

Arriving in the outskirts of Tangiers we all know that it is time to say good bye. The French boys will take a ferry back home and I will keep on riding around the Med.

To get over the sad feeling of loosing the excellent company and to readjust myself to the lone-traveller mode I'm strolling through the Medina of Tangiers. Can you imagine that this city lives in the same 21st century as we do?

Watching some people I doubt that their knowledge of foreign languages is sufficient. Or would you carry that bag with you? But maybe it's just a sign of self confidence.

About 15kms west of Tangiers is the lighthouse of Cap Spartel located. Tangiers is close to the narrowest point of the Straight of Gibraltar. But the waters of the Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea meet out here at Cap Spartel.

I'm asking the guard if it is possible to visit the lighthouse and a few minutes later I'm climbing these corkscrew stairs.

Hey, what a panorama! What you see in the Sea are different kinds of blue. The darker parts belong to the Atlantic Ocean, the brighter water originates from the Med. Because the Med's water is heavier than the Atlantic water it literally dives under the incoming Atlantic water through the Straight of Gibraltar to come back to the surface a few kilometers west of the Straight.

Check out the water colors on this picture.

While I stand here admiring one of natures wonders another thought comes back into my brain: The visa for Algeria!

Remember?

"Morocco's flag is flapping in the calm wind and right behind the Algerian one. The good thing is that here at the border they have a consulate. For what you may need a consulate at a border that is closed for more than a decade I don't know. But I can renew my visa here. At least this was what I'm thinking.

My visit to the consulate is a quick one. Quick and unsuccessful. It won't be a problem to get a visa, the haggard employee behind her scuffed desk tells me. Unfortunately this can be done only in Rabat, the capital. And when I am back on my HP2 I am enjoying the thought to do a little detour through Morocco in order to get the visa."

Ok, so how to get the visa now?

Cheers for today

Dirk

kimangao screwed with this post 03-06-2013 at 11:07 PM
kimangao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #313
kave
Gravel rules

Oddometer: 475
Epic pictures. The photo and story about the girls really touched me.

How much extra time does it take you to make this art? When I am travelling I am more or less in a hurry.
kave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #314
kimangao OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kave View Post
Epic pictures. The photo and story about the girls really touched me.

How much extra time does it take you to make this art? When I am travelling I am more or less in a hurry.
Good mornig Kave,
thank you very much. Riding alone means of course to spend some extra time on photography especially if you want to be in the picture. Find a place, set the tripod, install the camera, ride, come back, check the pictures it took, do it again if necessary and finally pack everything back on where it belongs on the bike. ;-)
In the end I guess I've spend some minutes on it.

Have a nice day!

Dirk
Old 02-21-2013, 05:45 AM   #315
kimangao OP
Studly Adventurer

Ok , I had to ride to the Algerian Embassy in the capital, Rabat. I've already had one so it shouldn't be a problem to get it renewed or simply another one.

But watch the video to see what happend!

How would you have felt?

Cheers

Dirk