ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 12:43 PM   #20731
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,387
Off Road Opportunity

Here's an interesting opportunity for all our wannabe Off Road racers.

http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=...3&e=245e801140
MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #20732
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 724
So tomorrow is going to be nice. Is anybody riding?
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #20733
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
So tomorrow is going to be nice. Is anybody riding?
I am good for a couple hours.. sometime between 9am and 5pm... the rest of the time I have to paint :(

Smiles,
Karl
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #20734
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by btblueskies View Post
I am good for a couple hours.. sometime between 9am and 5pm... the rest of the time I have to paint :(
I will probably hit the power lines off of belmont and cogbill again to explore a little more. Last time it was wet and my ankle was sprained so I called it quits before getting to see all of the trails over there.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #20735
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
I will probably hit the power lines off of belmont and cogbill again to explore a little more. Last time it was wet and my ankle was sprained so I called it quits before getting to see all of the trails over there.
That looks like a fun but relaxing ride... Didn't know about that particular area, open access eh? I'd go with ya if I wasn't working.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #20736
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,619
I'd like to think I'm riding tomorrow or even the RTE but work is stacking the deck against me
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #20737
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
I rode my F800GS for the first time today. It's a very nice bike and am looking forward to many more rides, but a couple of improvements need to be done sooner than later. Any previous/current 800 owners please chime in or PM to offer opinions/recommendations or fixes.

1. I hate to use the word junk when discussing BMW bikes, but the fork spings are really awful! They compress like a pogo stick! And this is on a relaxed, street only, commute to work! I can't wait to see how they behave on something like Big Levels. New springs are mandatory. Fortunately, this is a "cheap", easily fixable issue and I may be able to buy 1" shorter springs too.
2. $800 heated Sergeant seat is angled slightly forward, and it's smooth so I slide forward into the faux fuel tank. This may be due to the fact that the grips are too far away for my reach and I am leaning a forward a bit. ROX risers will go on to see if this may fix this issue before selling saddle and going custom made from Russell or Mayer.
3. I love the look of the Deisierto 3 fairing! I need to make some adjustments to get that nice pocket of still air. It is adjustable for height and angle. If I can't find a nice pocket of nirvana, I may need to eBay the ($900 new) windsheild and call Aeroflow for half the price!
4. Wow! What crazy throttle response! It's either off or on! It's very touchy! I spoke with Dan Farson (800GS rider who won East Coast GS Trophy Challenge) recommended a 15T front sprocket and a $150 booster plug to make the bike behave much better at 1-15 mph.

Don't get me wrong, I like the bike a lot but think that after these issues are fixed, I will like it much more. The low and mid punch is nice but the top end rush is very fun and peppy for an 800 twin! It feels at least as fast, or faster than the 1200. It could also be that it's 50-75 pounds lighter!

Sorry for the long rant...just looking for other 800 owners comments/experiences/fixes... thanks!
1. The forks do suck. But there are a lot of options as far as springs available as well as inserts. ($$$)
2. The stock 2X4...I mean seat has a textured surface that grips like King Kong. I also have 20mm risers under the bar mounts. They bring the bars up and back but not like some Rox risers would.
3. I have a V-Stream high screen. Works great but I don't have a "pocket of Nirvana." If I were an inch or two shorter, Nirvana would be achieved.
4. The throttle is twitchy and the lower gearing on the sprocket would help a lot, especially off-road. What is this booster plug of which you speak?

As far as that pic of the bent frame: I've had my 800 off the ground higher than I should. Bottomed the rear many times. My front and rear rims show signs of aggressive riding. I have removed the upper shock bolt three times to check, and it is straight as an arrow. I think Best Rest makes a reinforcement part for that issue but I'm not worried about it.
Dr WhipIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #20738
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
I took the kickstand off, and closed the gap where it attaches. I get on the DR like a horse, and I was told that can spread the gap open. It worked, I have a good little gap between the kickstand and the swingarm now. I also stopped by Redline and spoke to their welder, he said it was an easy fix. He also said I didn't need it fixed and not to worry about it.

Any thoughts?
My welder friend fixed a similar problem on an XR600 in 5 minutes. In my case, the stand wore through the side of the swingarm. The REAL problem is the shitty design of Japanese side stands.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #20739
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Hey Todd,
Two romantic nights in a row? How many blue pills did you take? . I'm working Valentines Day and our anniversary this month. It's going to be very interesting at our house. .
Chuck-
I didn't need the blue pills, I made it 3 nights and all I had was my man lingerie.
I know now what was in the Klim bag. She was dripping after I put this stuff on...didn't take much after that!!!
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:44 PM   #20740
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddzacker View Post
Chuck-
I didn't need the blue pills, I made it 3 nights and all I had was my man lingerie.
I know now what was in the Klim bag. She was dripping after I put this stuff on...didn't take much after that!!!
I'm trying to decide if you are trying to brag or just over share.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #20741
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
I'm trying to decide if you are trying to brag or just over share.
Get your mind outta the gutter she was obviously 'dripping' with glee....

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:19 AM   #20742
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 824
Thanks Pete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
My welder friend fixed a similar problem on an XR600 in 5 minutes. In my case, the stand wore through the side of the swingarm. The REAL problem is the shitty design of Japanese side stands.
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:25 AM   #20743
Downer
Downer

Oddometer: 193
I have a Madstadt if you want to take a look

I have a Madstadt if you want to take a look. I think I am going to go back to Desierto. I bought the Madstadt because I thought I was going to be doing more distant traveling. That is not going to be happening and I like the look of the Desierto better. I have been too lazy to take it off and put it on the Flea Market.

If you are interested let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
I rode my F800GS for the first time today. It's a very nice bike and am looking forward to many more rides, but a couple of improvements need to be done sooner than later. Any previous/current 800 owners please chime in or PM to offer opinions/recommendations or fixes.

1. I hate to use the word junk when discussing BMW bikes, but the fork spings are really awful! They compress like a pogo stick! And this is on a relaxed, street only, commute to work! I can't wait to see how they behave on something like Big Levels. New springs are mandatory. Fortunately, this is a "cheap", easily fixable issue and I may be able to buy 1" shorter springs too.
2. $800 heated Sergeant seat is angled slightly forward, and it's smooth so I slide forward into the faux fuel tank. This may be due to the fact that the grips are too far away for my reach and I am leaning a forward a bit. ROX risers will go on to see if this may fix this issue before selling saddle and going custom made from Russell or Mayer.
3. I love the look of the Deisierto 3 fairing! I need to make some adjustments to get that nice pocket of still air. It is adjustable for height and angle. If I can't find a nice pocket of nirvana, I may need to eBay the ($900 new) windsheild and call Aeroflow for half the price!
4. Wow! What crazy throttle response! It's either off or on! It's very touchy! I spoke with Dan Farson (800GS rider who won East Coast GS Trophy Challenge) recommended a 15T front sprocket and a $150 booster plug to make the bike behave much better at 1-15 mph.

Don't get me wrong, I like the bike a lot but think that after these issues are fixed, I will like it much more. The low and mid punch is nice but the top end rush is very fun and peppy for an 800 twin! It feels at least as fast, or faster than the 1200. It could also be that it's 50-75 pounds lighter!

Sorry for the long rant...just looking for other 800 owners comments/experiences/fixes... thanks!
Old 02-15-2013, 04:26 AM   #20744
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 855
Morning sight

Hey Todd,
Not what I wanted to see so early in the morning but KLIM does make nice gear. What about the photos of what you got for her?????
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:46 AM   #20745
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 564
Chuck-
Monday we ride!!! I get my bike back today.

I was gonna try to hit the RTE, but don't think I can make it. I guess I will use my Groupon to the Alamo with Nicole instead. If any one wants to meet there for a later RTE, PM me with you number & I will keep you posted on timing. I was thinking closer to 1:00-1:30...
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote