Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 07:35 AM   #73771
shu

Oddometer: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegroove View Post
Dang youze guys talk a lot!

Anyone tried the $30 Tank panniers from pro cycle? All the way at the bottom of the DR page. they look pretty slick for so cheap.
I've had a pair for 3 years/ 40,000 miles. They are tough but do have a few problems which were easily solved: 1. Keeping them forward from your knees;2. making them fit a bit snugger on top of the IMS tank; 3. Allowing for water drainage- they will take in a little water in a hard rain.

I will buy another set when these are worn out.

Here's a post I put in Krusty's DR650 Index topic #14 luggage.(top of the 'Thumpers' forum.)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=32

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
Roger-
These bags probably would move around and get in the way without a little modification. Here's what I did:

1. Use the supplied velcro on the side of tank.

2. I sewed a small 'dart' on both sides of the top yoke piece onto itself so it fit the tank more tightly. You can see the 'dart' on the right side of the bag pointing from the gas cap to 2:00 in this pic: (I'm no seamstress. I just folded it, pinned it and went back and forth several times on my mother-in-laws old machine. Done.)

3. I sewed a small loop on the front of each bag and clipped a piece of small diameter bungee cord rubber around the front of the tank. This is sort of visible on the front side of the tank in this pic:

4. As i said before, I added a drainage grommet in each side so they don't hold water inside.

Some will think this is too much work and just buy bags ready made with straps etc for $$. For me these bags are the right size, a good price and fairly well made and stout, and I don't mind doing some monkeying around to make them work right for me.

............shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #73772
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 844
Good call Rusty! Took the kickstand off, closed it up, and it's perfect now. I also rode by the local Ducati shop, spoke to their welder guy, he said it's an easy fix, about an hour labor TIG weld, but he said I didn't need it. I also took the bike to the local Suzuki shop, they said cosmetic also....Any thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
The kickstand starts to open up when too much weight (like sitting on the bike with the stand down) is placed on it. Take the stand off and close the top back together in a vise. I also took mine and used a grinding wheel to remove some material from the stand where it can contact the swingarm. I rounded it way down to make it less "knife-like".

There's some nasty pictures out there of the same kind of damage you are seeing. I noticed mine after it just scratched some. I keep an eye on it and try to never sit on the bike w/ the stand down now.

dljocky screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 10:03 AM
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #73773
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegroove View Post
Dang youze guys talk a lot!

Anyone tried the $30 Tank panniers from pro cycle? All the way at the bottom of the DR page. they look pretty slick for so cheap.
I think Doe's are Dem!

I got these from Rocky Mtn. $12 on sale. Now a bit more ... still a good deal.
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...Logic-Tank-Bag

Pro Cycle ones. Same Same.

I've only used my pannier bags on short rides. They sort of get in the way off road. But if you can position them well ... then they might work OK for you. At $12 for me it was a no brain-er. At $30? dunno. Rocky Mtn have great sales a few times a year.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #73774
PPCLI-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
Good call Rusty! Took the kickstand off, closed it up, and it's perfect now. I also rode by the local Ducati shop, spoke to their welder guy, he said it's an easy fix, about an hour labor TIG weld, but he said I didn't need it. I also took the bike to the local Suzuki shop, they said cosmetic also....Any thoughts?
I would get it welded but thats just me, any time you have a sharp edged cut on any metal it is a weak point to allow a fatigue crack to form. Normally this happens at the worst time.

http://www.youtube.com/user/spudhead/videos?view=0 my youtube channel

PPCLI-Jim screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 10:33 AM Reason: me spelt badder den usual
PPCLI-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #73775
bluegroove
Motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 432
thanks for all the repies on the tank panniers. I have short legs, so maybe if I pull them forward I'd be OK.

I 'd have to find a way to tie them down tight tho. I don't want them to bounce around in the rough stuff. I like the idea of keeping some weight centralized instead of in the back of the bike. Not too thrilled to hear they let water in tho...
Old 02-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #73776
bluegroove
Motorcycle junkie

I thought about making some of these but for the money I'd rather just buy it.

bluegroove screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 01:11 PM
bluegroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #73777
biosci
Tumbleweed54473

Oddometer: 192
Panniers & swingarm erosion

Also have the PC panniers. Did the same mods/sewing described by SHU. Works fine for the money. Pulled them forward with small bungee. Sewed the dart for the saddle strap.Raised them up a bit. Industrial velcro'ed to the sides of the tank. Keeps my knees warmer. Know they will get wet in rain. Oh well...

To protect the swingarm from the sidestand foot: I routered a footpad shaped depression into a hockey puck and bolted it to the footpad. Drilled some holes into the puck to remove some of the weight. Now I have a bigger footpad (works in sand) with swingarm as well as leg protection. Did not want a bigger METAL addition to the sidestand. Cheap, funky, functional.

CU-ALL @ CADVR 6
Old 02-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #73778
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 844
Nice job on the sidestand foot. I may do something like that. First, I need to establish whether or not I need a new swingarm, get it welded or leave it as it is. I've had two shops say it's ok, and that its cosmetic. But a few friends have suggested it could fail. I'm no mechanic by any means, so I'm not really sure what to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biosci View Post
To protect the swingarm from the sidestand foot: I routered a footpad shaped depression into a hockey puck and bolted it to the footpad. Drilled some holes into the puck to remove some of the weight. Now I have a bigger footpad (works in sand) with swingarm as well as leg protection. Did not want a bigger METAL addition to the sidestand. Cheap, funky, functional.

CU-ALL @ CADVR 6
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #73779
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,600
Quote:
Nice job on the sidestand foot. I may do something like that. First, I need to establish whether or not I need a new swingarm, get it welded or leave it as it is. I've had two shops say it's ok, and that its cosmetic. But a few friends have suggested it could fail. I'm no mechanic by any means, so I'm not really sure what to do.
It doesn't look too bad IMO. I know that I'd run it.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #73780
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,207

Nice riding weather here in S. NM
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #73781
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,460
Cogent shock, anyone?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863208

Keyboard Diarrhea
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
thumpididump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #73782
bluegroove
Motorcycle junkie

Check this out. Poor man's Giant Loop bag?? $40, maybe with some modification...

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...aped-Rack-Pack
Old 02-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #73783
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Good day all,
I noticed yesterday that my kickstand has rubbed a pretty good groove in my swingarm. I'm concerned about this, and not really sure how to get the kickstand to not rub, except to bend it outwards? I'm not sure grinding it would work, as the "foot" is pretty flush with the backside of the kickstand. Also, what potential does a deep groove in the swingarm for a failure of some sort? I'm not sure how thick the material is, and how does one go to repair something like this?
I tie wrapped some sturdy fuel hose just above the pad.Now the rubber sides on the swingarm.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #73784
appalachian
Ride fat boy ride

Oddometer: 246
Need some food for thought on rear shocks, I've been calling about everyone in teh shock biz this week try'n to decide from which to buy, but for the price tag (most in the $550 range) just how good are they ?? can a guy buy a more economical shock & it do just fine or do the top of the line shock make that much of a difference ??
Old 02-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #73785
badweatherbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
Quote:
mine looks worse than that, no worries
Advocare products-www.advocare.com/12084065
badweatherbiker is offline   Reply With Quote