Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #73801
bluegroove
Motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 413
I thought about making some of these but for the money I'd rather just buy it.

bluegroove screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 01:11 PM
bluegroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #73802
biosci
Tumbleweed54473

Oddometer: 194
Panniers & swingarm erosion

Also have the PC panniers. Did the same mods/sewing described by SHU. Works fine for the money. Pulled them forward with small bungee. Sewed the dart for the saddle strap.Raised them up a bit. Industrial velcro'ed to the sides of the tank. Keeps my knees warmer. Know they will get wet in rain. Oh well...

To protect the swingarm from the sidestand foot: I routered a footpad shaped depression into a hockey puck and bolted it to the footpad. Drilled some holes into the puck to remove some of the weight. Now I have a bigger footpad (works in sand) with swingarm as well as leg protection. Did not want a bigger METAL addition to the sidestand. Cheap, funky, functional.

CU-ALL @ CADVR 6
Old 02-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #73803
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Nice job on the sidestand foot. I may do something like that. First, I need to establish whether or not I need a new swingarm, get it welded or leave it as it is. I've had two shops say it's ok, and that its cosmetic. But a few friends have suggested it could fail. I'm no mechanic by any means, so I'm not really sure what to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biosci View Post
To protect the swingarm from the sidestand foot: I routered a footpad shaped depression into a hockey puck and bolted it to the footpad. Drilled some holes into the puck to remove some of the weight. Now I have a bigger footpad (works in sand) with swingarm as well as leg protection. Did not want a bigger METAL addition to the sidestand. Cheap, funky, functional.

CU-ALL @ CADVR 6
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #73804
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
Nice job on the sidestand foot. I may do something like that. First, I need to establish whether or not I need a new swingarm, get it welded or leave it as it is. I've had two shops say it's ok, and that its cosmetic. But a few friends have suggested it could fail. I'm no mechanic by any means, so I'm not really sure what to do.
It doesn't look too bad IMO. I know that I'd run it.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #73805
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,044

Nice riding weather here in S. NM
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000,, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, 1965 Bridgestone 90!
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #73806
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,315
Cogent shock, anyone?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863208

FY-YFF.com
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
"You can't put the shit back in the donkey." - Tony Soprano
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #73807
bluegroove
Motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 413
Check this out. Poor man's Giant Loop bag?? $40, maybe with some modification...

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...aped-Rack-Pack
Old 02-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #73808
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,167
Quote:
Good day all,
I noticed yesterday that my kickstand has rubbed a pretty good groove in my swingarm. I'm concerned about this, and not really sure how to get the kickstand to not rub, except to bend it outwards? I'm not sure grinding it would work, as the "foot" is pretty flush with the backside of the kickstand. Also, what potential does a deep groove in the swingarm for a failure of some sort? I'm not sure how thick the material is, and how does one go to repair something like this?
I tie wrapped some sturdy fuel hose just above the pad.Now the rubber sides on the swingarm.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #73809
appalachian
Ride fat boy ride

Oddometer: 241
Need some food for thought on rear shocks, I've been calling about everyone in teh shock biz this week try'n to decide from which to buy, but for the price tag (most in the $550 range) just how good are they ?? can a guy buy a more economical shock & it do just fine or do the top of the line shock make that much of a difference ??
Old 02-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #73810
badweatherbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Good call Rusty! Took the kickstand off, closed it up, and it's perfect now. I also rode by the local Ducati shop, spoke to their welder guy, he said it's an easy fix, about an hour labor TIG weld, but he said I didn't need it. I also took the bike to the local Suzuki shop, they said cosmetic also....Any thoughts?
mine looks worse than that, no worries
Advocare products-www.advocare.com/12084065
badweatherbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #73811
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer: 322
I went round and round with the same issues, my stock shock was harsh at the standard setting and with all the bad reports I've read about the stock shock I thought I'd just rebuild , respring and revalve to get a better ride and then just for the Hell of it I thought I'd knock the preload down to the soft position. With Ricor's in the forks and the reset rear shock I went out and pounded the hardest terrain I could find and the bike just floated over everything, no harsh jolts no bottoming out in the rear the bike was 100% better. I ride this bike hard off road and it sees very little pavement. Maybe my shock is an odd ball but I won't even think about touching it now until it needs a rebuild. I'm just saying that it might be worth your while to mess with the preload first and maybe save yourself $600.00.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:44 PM   #73812
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,315
Adjusting the preload will not make the shock stiffer or softer, rather, preload is used to set the ride height (sag).

If you're under 160 lbs, then the stock shock is pretty good, but offers no rebound damping adjustment which makes it hard to fine tune to your liking, and to suit the terrain and type of riding.

If you're over 160, then a stiffer spring will certainly help and a valve kit if you want better. Having 3-way adjustment is ideal but you would need to add a rebound clicker for that.

Sent from my Rotary Dial Phone using TapaTalk.

FY-YFF.com
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
"You can't put the shit back in the donkey." - Tony Soprano
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #73813
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,230
Quote:
Good call Rusty! Took the kickstand off, closed it up, and it's perfect now. I also rode by the local Ducati shop, spoke to their welder guy, he said it's an easy fix, about an hour labor TIG weld, but he said I didn't need it. I also took the bike to the local Suzuki shop, they said cosmetic also....Any thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by badweatherbiker View Post
mine looks worse than that, no worries
ther's a dent in my swingarm, about in the middle of the swingarm, where your gouge is. the p.o. obviously dumped the bike and the end of the sidestand made the dent. purely cosmetic issue, imo...

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:06 PM   #73814
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,122
DR650 side (gen 1 Wolfman style) and top racks for the DR in vendors:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863252
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:12 AM   #73815
VBdiver
disconcerted

Oddometer: 50
crankshaft access to adjust valves

I finally got the access plug off the crankcase housing ... what a PITA .
Somebody prior to me must have used something smaller than a 10mm Allen & wrung it out real good. I tried heat ,tapping , driving in a 10mm Allen , no dice .
I got it out using a chisel working it around the circumference & it thankfully came loose.

I don't see in my manual the proper torque settings for tightening the cover . Can anyone lend a hand ?

VBdiver is offline   Reply With Quote