Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2011, 10:30 PM   #46
etyson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
Why not just bring back the TransAlp while not as light as the wee its a lot lighter than the Varadero...better yet start making the African Twin again

I second that.
etyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:52 AM   #47
Claustrophobic64
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Vara Happy with My Dero!

Just to chime in and comment on my 2008 Dero I picked up at a powerhouse dealer that has since closed up shop here in Windsor Ontario. I walked out of there last July for under 11k all in.....no addons or dealer perks....it was originally listing for 14.9k so I felt good about the purchase....I am very happy with the bike which has about 10,000 kilometers on it now...... I have been commuting back and forth to work on it and have made some long distance runs up into the northern parts of this province.......plenty of time on our 400 series highways made me enjoy this bike more and more.......6 speed easily cruised for hours @ 120kmh and then some. Comfortable seat....easy handling!

I am tall and my head buffeted pretty bad in the wind coming off of the windsheild........so I cut it down about 3 - 4 inches now I get clean air over the top and it hits me more in the upper chest area.....that was my only beef with this bike. Also I routinely get over 400km per tank.....fill ups are normally 21 litres......thats driving like a ' middle aged bald fat guy that had way too much fun when he was young and now has to tone it down a bit'........if you know what I am saying......

Bottom Line => The Dero makes me Happy! and if you get one that would make 2 of us! LOL
Old 08-31-2011, 12:06 PM   #48
zarly
Action Pants!

Oddometer: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claustrophobic64 View Post
Just to chime in and comment on my 2008 Dero I picked up at a powerhouse dealer that has since closed up shop here in Windsor Ontario. I walked out of there last July for under 11k all in.....no addons or dealer perks....it was originally listing for 14.9k so I felt good about the purchase....I am very happy with the bike which has about 10,000 kilometers on it now...... I have been commuting back and forth to work on it and have made some long distance runs up into the northern parts of this province.......plenty of time on our 400 series highways made me enjoy this bike more and more.......6 speed easily cruised for hours @ 120kmh and then some. Comfortable seat....easy handling!

I am tall and my head buffeted pretty bad in the wind coming off of the windsheild........so I cut it down about 3 - 4 inches now I get clean air over the top and it hits me more in the upper chest area.....that was my only beef with this bike. Also I routinely get over 400km per tank.....fill ups are normally 21 litres......thats driving like a ' middle aged bald fat guy that had way too much fun when he was young and now has to tone it down a bit'........if you know what I am saying......

Bottom Line => The Dero makes me Happy! and if you get one that would make 2 of us! LOL
I'm 6'2 and I get a bit of a wind howl in my helmet, it kind of annoys me, but it's nothing to do with the bike which I love, I'm just sticking up off it too far. if I duck down a little it goes away, I have the GIVI taller screen on the lower notch, if I put it to the top notch I'm looking through it and it feels unnatural to me.

Have you got any pictures of your bike with the chopped screen? how did you cut it down?

Thanks.

ZDW

Victoria, BC
Canada
zarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:57 PM   #49
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
As for the GS/GSA, well I have one and for sure nothing else compares if you are serious about handling and perfomance but thats for when you are ready for the best no matter the price.

Yer funny.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #50
WOLVERINE
Keep her pinned!

Oddometer: 625
So for the used market, What would an 08 with 15,000kms and Trax bags, crash bar, skid plate go for these days based on the pricing of the 09's still left at the dealer. Would you take a used one decked out like I mentioned over a new 09 stock for a little more money?

2008 R1200GSA
WOLVERINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:38 PM   #51
neveragain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Claustro and Zarly...I have a 2008 Varadero and was also bothered by wind buffetting and my wife got it really bad while being on the back. . I'm 6'3 and i had a Laminar Lip add on windscreen from my 650Gs and decided to try it on the Vara. All I want to say is, simply amazing. I look over the top of the screen and no more buffetting for me and especially my wife. 2 extremely happy campers.
neveragain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:13 AM   #52
WOLVERINE
Keep her pinned!

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by neveragain View Post
Claustro and Zarly...I have a 2008 Varadero and was also bothered by wind buffetting and my wife got it really bad while being on the back. . I'm 6'3 and i had a Laminar Lip add on windscreen from my 650Gs and decided to try it on the Vara. All I want to say is, simply amazing. I look over the top of the screen and no more buffetting for me and especially my wife. 2 extremely happy campers.

That's good to know. I was wondering about the stock windscreen being tiny with not enough deflection. I'm 6'2/32"inseam so being tall in the body puts me higher in the wind so if the extra screen works for you it may work for me too...

2008 R1200GSA
WOLVERINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #53
zarly
Action Pants!

Oddometer: 342
I think I'm going to try a Liminar Lap. I've been thinking about it a year now. May as well go ahead and pick one up.

Victoria, BC
Canada
zarly is offline   Reply With Quote