Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 05:59 AM   #151
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesupreme View Post
a case is comin' 'yer way, by 'paypal', of course!... hope they can keep it cold.... sorry it's not more, i'm broke $$$$...

just don't use it for any nutz and boltz for yer' crazy catamaran....
Is it okay to buy a patch repair kit for my life-raft with it :-)

Thanks pal! Have a great day!

Facebook: dylan.s@bluewin.ch
Dylan.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #152
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Cutting a barrel to give a cone shape to the front of the boat.

Panamanians are the best to work with when you want a solid job done. They are lazy and deliver a poor workmanship and they are rude. They seem to enjoy sleeping a lot though! Here is a worker having a nap during the work hours.

A well deserved rest for us. Adrian the Hungarian Jack Sparrow and another friend enjoying the lunch.

The kind of the Pacific. I'm not a grumpy king. I want everyone to be happy.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:38 PM   #153
rgon
explore cordilleras

Oddometer: 127
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan.S View Post

Changing roles. The rider becomes the mechanic and the mechanic become a photographer.

Wish me luck folks!
Dylan your breed is class AAA+++! I admire your ingenuity.
I am following your adventure from Indonesia jungles where I work right now.
I hope somebody out there will make a film about the adventures of Dylan.
Prayers for your safe passage thru the rough seas.

Goodluck and Mabuhay (Long Live)!

Old 02-16-2013, 05:04 AM   #154
trevhead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Wow

I've been following and am looking forward to the journey continuing. Best wishes for the seafaring, you are a nutter in the very best sense.
trevhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #155
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgon View Post
Dylan your breed is class AAA+++! I admire your ingenuity.
I am following your adventure from Indonesia jungles where I work right now.
I hope somebody out there will make a film about the adventures of Dylan.
Prayers for your safe passage thru the rough seas.

Goodluck and Mabuhay (Long Live)!

You're too kind Rgon. Thank you very much! Hope you're enjoying the jungles and I hope you got your wheels with you. I'm looking forward to be back in Indonesia once again.

Cheers buddy!

Old 02-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #156
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevhead View Post
I've been following and am looking forward to the journey continuing. Best wishes for the seafaring, you are a nutter in the very best sense.

Thanks a bunch trevhead! I enjoy every word of my fan club! :-)

Take care!

Old 02-16-2013, 03:18 PM   #157
BluNozr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
Amazing Journey

Reading about your adventures in the Americas has been fantastic. I'm looking forward to the days ahead and your stories from the past two years.

Travel well.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:03 AM   #158
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Here’s another photo I dug out from the bottom of the box.
I was on my way from south Ethiopia to the north. Somewhere in a rural set up, where farmers worked the land, I get the urgency to stop and have a pee. I kept on riding until I found a place to relieve myself undisturbed. For miles, there were people around and about, mostly farmers. But as it reached the maximum pressure point before my bladder exploded, I found a quiet spot on the side of the road. I slam the brakes and parked the bike on the side stand and run down the slope about three meters below the road. I open up the zip and not only started peeing, I was thoroughly enjoying it. But then I heard a noise behind me. When I turned around and looked, I was horrified to see my bike falling on to the side and rolling down the hill. I jumped out of the way and wet myself in the process but still manage to count how many times it flipped over. Well, it did four flips and I was in a shock. So many things went through my head and I knew I was in big trouble. I have had quite a few crashes until this point. But this was the biggest. There was nothing I could do but stare at the bike and to felt really sorry for myself. There must be so many broken parts on this bike now, and I won’t be riding for a few weeks, were my thought, and I didn’t even go near the bike, scared to see the damages. From the distance I took couple of photos and just waited with my hands on the head. Then the local farmers who were walking by stopped, one by one. I could not communicate with them because we had no common language. When there were about ten men, they picked up the bike and started pushing it up the steep slope and brought it onto the road. I picked the scattered luggage and examined Bruce. There were traces of a leakage. The impact had caused the banjo bolt at the clutch lever to come loose. I searched for more damages. Apart from a few minor scratches, there were no more damages and I couldn’t believe my luck. It took me ten minutes to bleed the clutch and get ready for the road. Man, I told myself, “You are one lucky fellow”.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #159
woodsman149
not n00b

Oddometer: 127
You certainly are living life, I applaud you for that. Most of us don't really wring out the full essence of our time on this planet and going to sea with some oil barrels and a shaft drive bike is really living. Hate to admit it scares me to death just reading about it!!!

By the way noticed you had a couple of fans mounted in front of you oil cooler. How effective did you find this in keeping the engine cool in hot climates, traffic etc.. Any thoughts on the fans blocking normal airflow to the cooler? Do you have the fans hooked to a switch or via the thermostat?

Loving your thread and your images.... Happy trails and Bon voyage.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #160
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hello Woodsman,

Thanks for the message. We'll see how it will all turn out in the end. I know this much about the end. It's gonna be alright! :-)

I made those fans with cheap computer ventilators. I bought them in Thailand almost a year ago. I turn them on by flicking a manual switch on my dashboard when I see the temperature is getting high. When there's a traffic jam, I turn them on anyways. Until I made these fans, riding in traffic congestion was a real hassle. Also when you are stuck in sand and don't have much speed, they help a lot and I never had any overheating issues.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:54 AM   #161
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluNozr View Post
Reading about your adventures in the Americas has been fantastic. I'm looking forward to the days ahead and your stories from the past two years.

Travel well.
Thanks Len. I will try to cover as many stories of the past as possible. Thanks for appreciating!

Old 02-20-2013, 04:12 AM   #162
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I have spent a week in here in Panama City and it was a busy week.. On the up side, I had a nice place to stay and a comfortable bed with a Swiss family who invited me to stay with. After each day of hard work I was able to have a good shower and relax, regenerate. I made good connections, met good people who helped me to find me a garage where I was able to build the boat in an area where shops for hardware only a stone's throw away.
On the down side, I was not able to do as much as liked to do by myself because they preferred executing my plans themselves. It sounds wonderful. But it wasn't! Again I was confronted with bad quality work plus their (worker’s) arrogance and ignorant behavior. There were conflicts from the very first day. The mechanics started welding my barrels together without removing the paint work and degreasing them. As a result, the welding appeared unprofessional. When I saw the bad quality weld, I requested that they take the paint off and clean the rusts spots before joining the barrels together. But it only fell into deaf ears. I was agitated and an unpleasant work environment was created. The owner of the garage was a nice man. He saw my plans and gave orders to the workers. But these workers seems to be arrogant enough to don't care what the boss said. So I had to accept their low quality work and reinforce my structure adding more metal into the construction. Also the amount of time they wasted by doing nothing was agonizing. They also juggled too many different jobs.
I was there to build a boat. At 10a.m. a grandma walks in and wants her leaky aluminum saucepan fixed so they start working on the saucepan putting aside my work until Joe from next door appears. He wants his wooden leg fixed. Now grandma and I wait till they fix Joe... untill.... Juan walks in who has a food stall just around the corner. Juan has a rusty stove in his hand. One of the four legs is broken. Now Joe is added to the waiting list. So it went on and on pretty much in the same manner everyday!

I somehow learned to be patient. I learned to keep up my smile. Become an observer and try to understand their ways. And try to do something useful while waiting. It wasn’t that I couldn’t use their tools. In fact, I did a considerable amount of work myself. But the tools they worked with looked so dodgy; I preferred not to work with them. And there were couple of times it proved that I was right. Once, while it was in use, the hose of the acetylene bottle popped out of the torch and was flying around ablaze. Fearing for his life, the mechanic who was working with it started running out of the garage. The flame nearly reached my motorbike which was parked just outside the entrance. Luckily, another mechanic who was standing close to the acetylene bottle closed the valve and prevented a calamity. On another occasion an angle grinder wheel broke into pieces and sprayed debris around like a machine gun in action. Again nobody was hurt. But it’s just a question of time. Carelessness and negligence has high prices sometimes. Yesterday, as we were just about finishing off work, a guy walks into the garage and wants his old and rusty fuel tank repaired. He wanted the mechanics to weld the leak. The mechanic opened the fuel tank lid and said that he shouldn’t weld because there’s still fuel in it. But the customer insisted that he needs it done urgently. Panamanians can be good sometimes. So the mechanic reluctantly agreed to weld the fuel tank though he was half dressed to go home with clean hands. But then he did something unimaginable. For safety concerns, he put the fuel tank under a table. In case of an explosion, in his mind, a table would save him from the explosion. Without filling the tank with water, or at least washing it out, he went on to weld the tank. But I ran outside knowing that a fuel tank explosion is not as desirable as fireworks on New Year ’s Eve.

However, by this evening we were nearly finished with building the boat. It has taken it’s shape as I imagined what it would be. Tomorrow, I’ll have to find a truck to transport the pieces to a place close to the water and there we make a rudder and the front cones out of fiberglass. And then hopefully by day after tomorrow, The Courage of Bridget should be ready for her maiden voyage!

Old 02-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #163
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Panama City

Since yesterday I have a new home. Ronald the sail maker invited me to stay in his boat while my boat is being prepared. He picked me up with this small dingy and told me that I can have it on my boat as my lifeboat, should anything happen.

Every part but sails of my boat is completely designed by me without any copying or steeling other people's ideas. However, the sails and the rigging will be done by Ronald. Here you see him sketching a suitable sails for my application. Keeping things simple, he suggested that we should have sails similar to the traditional Egyptian sail boats, Falugas.

After one week of messing around, I transported the parts of my boat to the edge of the Panama canal for further work and assembly and for the launch. Unfortunately, the mechanics who worked on the boat have done a very bad job at some places. So, from here onwards, I'll be working towards strengthening the structure by myself. Fortunately, I met someone who offered me the welding equipment and other tools. I still have about two days of work before I'll be able to launch.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #164
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Tired. I have worked every day. No time for photography and no time for fun. Running around and fighting with the sea every single day with the dingy to get to Ronald's boat which is currently my home, and get to land. The little outboard engine I got have a few flaws. But it's teaching me to be tough. Teaching me perseverance.
There is a lot of things against my project here. every single day ended with little progress. things can't be hurried here since I'm continuously searching for the cheapest option.
My boat is only a couple of days away from the launch. The last things which have to be done is the deck. Wood is expensive here. So I'm having to wait till I get a good deal or till someone offers me a planks that is there to be thrown away. There is also the option to use bamboo. But transport is an issue. It has to be transported from two hours away from here. But, I'm sure that it'll be okay in the end :-)
Peace!

Oh, one positive thing is that, I have a little fan club here. There will be at least two boats accompanying me to the island of Las Perlas on the first couple of days of my voyage! So that I have some professional help to learn to sail :-)

Old 02-26-2013, 05:50 AM   #165
leadingedge
Trailing along...

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan.S View Post
.. There will be at least two boats accompanying me to the island of Las Perlas on the first couple of days of my voyage!..
Hey Dylan, why are you going the Pacific route and not Caribbean, if I may ask?

Enjoying your report buddy!
leadingedge is offline   Reply With Quote