User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
Super55 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Noob question regarding my 2008 Buell Ulysses XB12X

Just bought my first motorcycle, a 2008 Ulysses. Went to check the oil after riding it home from the dealership. Per the manual, I did so on the sidestand, while warm. As I unscrewed the dipstick oil poured out. Forgive me for being captain obvious, but this leads me to believe either the former owner or dealership overfilled it. I've checked it hot several times since and oil is still running out. Will having this much oil in my bike damage it? And do I need to let it run out until it stops to avoid damaging my engine from oil pressure that is too high. I am about 1500 miles from my next oil change. Thanks in advance.
Super55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
sprk_sprd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Congrats on your new-to-you Ulysses. I've had a 2006 since last summer. I would say that someone overfilled the oil. It shouldn't pour out, as you describe it - even if the engine is still warm. Despite you being 1500 miles away from your next interval, I'd suggest you simply drain all the oil (swingarm and primary) and then do a proper change/re-fill. I'll leave the explanation of "what too much oil does" to the more technical folks here.
sprk_sprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
Super55 OP
n00b

Thanks for the confirmation. I would imagine a standard oil change at the Harley dealership would include what you're suggesting?
Old 02-14-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
first, go to the badweather bikers forum for buell questions,second oil is checked on my m2 ,upright and warm.
(the tank drains into the sump when hot so must come to its normal level after warm). this is MY M2,yours has a different setup,
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #5
Super55 OP
n00b

Thanks for the heads up on bad weather bikers.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:06 PM   #6
sprk_sprd
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super55 View Post
Thanks for the confirmation. I would imagine a standard oil change at the Harley dealership would include what you're suggesting?
I would strongly recommend you do the oil change yourself. It's very easy on these on these bikes, and you'll save a lot of money. You can even search YouTube for a nice tutorial. If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, you may be able to find a motorcycle group (doesn't have to be Buell specific) near you where people get together at someone's house/garage to perform basic maintenance. It's a good way to get to know your bike and a nice way to make new friends.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
Sharkguy
chain lube applier

Oddometer: 199
Welcome to Buells, and motorcycling. I would go ahead and learn to do the oil change yourself. Most dealerships don't have a clue about Buells and overfill them. I check my oil on my 09 with the bike on the sidestand with the motor running (warm). The level should read about two Xs up on the stick. Since the sump was overfilled you will also want to open up your airbox and make sure excess oil wasn't puked out of the crankcase breather into your air box. This is pretty common as these bikes get overfilled often by unknowing dealerships and owners. Oil change with a filter change calls for 2.5 quarts.Oil and filter preference is your choice. Like others suggest go to badweatherbikers for tons of info. Good luck with your bike. I think you will enjoy it.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #8
Super55 OP
n00b

Took it to the Harley dealership for an oil change. Issue solved. I am thinking about doing it myself from now on. I just didn't have tools and I have a ride planned for tomorrow. Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #9
TeepS
Full Circle Rider

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Took it to the Harley dealership for an oil change. Issue solved. I am thinking about doing it myself from now on. I just didn't have tools and I have a ride planned for tomorrow. Thanks for all the help guys.
I hope they checked the primary case oil level, too.
TeepS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:05 PM   #10
ERD
Custom Rider

Oddometer: 323
The Buell has sportster motor - a highly modified one. Any Harley/Buell dealer should be able to do a proper oil change on the it. Any dealership that services Harleys should be able to change the oil on a Buell without any problem.

ERD screwed with this post 02-16-2013 at 09:04 AM
ERD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:29 AM   #11
sprk_sprd
Adventurer

Quote:
Just FYI, the tools needed are very basic:

-5/8" wrench for the drain plug
-T-27 torx wrench for the chin cowling and primary inspection cover
-aluminum foil to cover the exhaust (to protect it from the draining oil)
-oil of your choice (2.5 quarts in swing arm + 1 quart in primary)
-oil filter of your choice

And there is a very good Youtube video out there.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #12
argentcorvid
Some Guy

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD View Post
The Buell has sportster motor - a highly modified one. Any Harley/Buell dealer should be able to do a proper oil change on the it. Any dealership that services Harleys should be able to change the oil on a Buell without any problem.
You'd think so...
argentcorvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:03 PM   #13
badweatherbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
congrats on the Uly!
I sold my police Uly a couple years ago to someone in Jax, if you ever have any questions or just want to do some rural riding hit me up I am about an hour and a half from Jax in Madison County.
I spent over 10 years riding Buells and became kinda "handy" with them.

Quote:
Just bought my first motorcycle, a 2008 Ulysses. Went to check the oil after riding it home from the dealership. Per the manual, I did so on the sidestand, while warm. As I unscrewed the dipstick oil poured out. Forgive me for being captain obvious, but this leads me to believe either the former owner or dealership overfilled it. I've checked it hot several times since and oil is still running out. Will having this much oil in my bike damage it? And do I need to let it run out until it stops to avoid damaging my engine from oil pressure that is too high. I am about 1500 miles from my next oil change. Thanks in advance.
Advocare products-www.advocare.com/12084065
badweatherbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:28 PM   #14
mhevezi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Hey Super,

Congrats on the Buell! They are the most unboring bikes on the road- for all kinds of reasons. I'm on my 2nd- a 2008 XB12XT

Glad you got your oil situation squared away. Doing to the oil on that bike truly is very easy. The toughest part is taking off the chin spoiler- watch where those, clear, nylon washers go! When you do this yourself, be careful when removing the old oil filter- oil has a habit of running on the muffler and finding a home near the exhaust valve. Use a piece of cardboard to build a drain ramp.

Also, the swing-arm drain bolt lives in a soft, aluminum oil-tank and strips easily. The torque value in the book is too high and you can strip the oil tank before you know it. Just be careful- snug is good.

Enjoy the bike. www.badweatherbikers.com Big, Bad & Dirty - they are your best spot for info on your bike and can help you keep it on the road for years!