User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #16
dbc254
V-Strom1000

Oddometer: 1
Wink Sacrilege!?!?

I want one! Would the maintenance be cheaper/easier on a newb like me than a real-deal Beemer? 1900cc's sitting LOW in the frame like that. Outta handle well I'd think. CofG is down by your toesies. . .
Old 02-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #17
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,029
I was around a number of them when I was a kid. No one I knew that had one had them geared tall enough for any high speed. That and/or they weren't willing to rev it enough? My shop landlord revs one of his 160hp 2.5 liter pushrod Porsche engines to 7k. It's geared for about 135mph. That would probably take taller gearing than a 2.91:1 FD? The clutch can't handle the torque. They handle like crap from what I can tell. What I don't know is how long the engine lasts without forced cooling. The back cylinders make a Harley's back cylinder look like it's out in the wind. I never new anyone back in the day that actually rode theirs much. Personally I have mostly thought they were taking what could be a good engine in something else and ruining a good bike to make them fit.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:24 PM   #18
roguetek
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
nice, but that's not 1.9l... that's a 1200cc motor. at least, those are 1200cc singleport heads from a ( IIRC ) type one motor.
roguetek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #19
robtg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguetek View Post
nice, but that's not 1.9l... that's a 1200cc motor. at least, those are 1200cc singleport heads from a ( IIRC ) type one motor.

Take another look.
robtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:20 PM   #20
homere
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
vw/bmw

Nice fab job, wow lots of torque,How does it turn
homere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:09 PM   #21
roguetek
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtg View Post
Take another look.

I'm lookin. Those valve covers were, as far as I know, only used on the 1200cc motor.

Now, there's a shot that shows a tiny peek of the intake manifold, and it might be a dual port. Even if it -is- a dual port, and they've somehow managed to fit 1200cc valve covers on it, it's still a -1600-cc motor. Still 300cc shy. And if he's running 88's or 90mm pistons on that rig, I feel sorryfor him.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:28 AM   #22
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,758
Quote:
I'm lookin. Those valve covers were, as far as I know, only used on the 1200cc motor.

Now, there's a shot that shows a tiny peek of the intake manifold, and it might be a dual port. Even if it -is- a dual port, and they've somehow managed to fit 1200cc valve covers on it, it's still a -1600-cc motor. Still 300cc shy. And if he's running 88's or 90mm pistons on that rig, I feel sorryfor him.

No offense, but that is clearly a dual port, those aftermarket valve covers were on about 1,000,000,000,000 bugs, and there is a big sticker that says 1.9 liter VW right above the engine., Keep lookin!
Old 02-15-2013, 03:59 AM   #23
vernon dent OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
i talked to the guy that built the bike at this shop and motor for a client. he's assembled vw motors for sand rails, street bugs, etc. for about forty years. he doesn't know dick about bikes and freely admits that. but from his rap i think he knows his shit about type one motors. the bike has been re-geared ( i don't remember if its gear box, final drive or a combo of both) for lower rpm highway use. the bike runs 70 mph @ 4500 rpm.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:39 AM   #24
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernon dent View Post
the bike has been re-geared ( i don't remember if its gear box, final drive or a combo of both) for lower rpm highway use. the bike runs 70 mph @ 4500 rpm.
How is 70mph @4500 geared for lower revs at highway speed?
My G/S with a 37/11 final drive, std 5th gear and a 130/90 x 18 knoby tyre does lower revs than that.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:40 AM   #25
roguetek
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseoffubar View Post
No offense, but that is clearly a dual port, those aftermarket valve covers were on about 1,000,000,000,000 bugs, and there is a big sticker that says 1.9 liter VW right above the engine., Keep lookin!

OH, there's a -sticker-, that's totally different. My god, why didn't I realize that. I mean, nobody ever rebadged anything, ever.

/sarc

Seriously though, assuming it's a dual port, that would make it a 1600 motor. Still not a 1900cc motor. Unless, of course, he went with oversized jugs. Again, if he did, I don't think it's going to end well.

And I guess I'm not one of the cool kids, because in all the VWs Ive owned, the only motors I've ever seen that style of cover on, was a 1200, and that was only once. Everything else I've ever seen, has the spring-clip retainer style.

Woe is me, for my clearly sheltered life.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:52 AM   #26
TINK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
VW Power, Really? Why?

I was so transfixed on the black paint and gold pin stripes (same as my PROJECT-S) that I totally missed the VW engine power plant, LOL

TINK
TINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #27
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
I was around a number of them when I was a kid. No one I knew that had one had them geared tall enough for any high speed. That and/or they weren't willing to rev it enough? My shop landlord revs one of his 160hp 2.5 liter pushrod Porsche engines to 7k. It's geared for about 135mph. That would probably take taller gearing than a 2.91:1 FD? The clutch can't handle the torque. They handle like crap from what I can tell. What I don't know is how long the engine lasts without forced cooling. The back cylinders make a Harley's back cylinder look like it's out in the wind. I never new anyone back in the day that actually rode theirs much. Personally I have mostly thought they were taking what could be a good engine in something else and ruining a good bike to make them fit.
This.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #28
Steve W.
Boxer Pilot

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
OH, there's a -sticker-, that's totally different. My god, why didn't I realize that. I mean, nobody ever rebadged anything, ever.

/sarc

Seriously though, assuming it's a dual port, that would make it a 1600 motor. Still not a 1900cc motor. Unless, of course, he went with oversized jugs. Again, if he did, I don't think it's going to end well.

And I guess I'm not one of the cool kids, because in all the VWs Ive owned, the only motors I've ever seen that style of cover on, was a 1200, and that was only once. Everything else I've ever seen, has the spring-clip retainer style.

Woe is me, for my clearly sheltered life.
Scat sold millions of these and still do. You replace the rocker shaft mounting nuts with the longer supplied nuts and the valve cover bolts to the longer nuts. They supposedly ran cooler and looked cooler in reality all they ever did was leak. As usual with "airheads" stock is always better.

https://www.doghouserepair.com/store...fins-bug-scat/

As far as the bike pictured IMHO the bike is trashed and the engine will self destruct. 1900cc? (1914cc = 94x69) type 1's don't last long even with overdriven fans and big ass oil coolers. The thin wall 94s will distort and the pistons seize usually on #3.
Kinda like a chopper, fun to look at .
Cheers
Steve 01GS, 78S (73 911T, 67 Type 1)
Old 02-15-2013, 02:00 PM   #29
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
Scat sold millions of these and still do. You replace the rocker shaft mounting nuts with the longer supplied nuts and the valve cover bolts to the longer nuts. They supposedly ran cooler and looked cooler in reality all they ever did was leak. As usual with "airheads" stock is always better.

As far as the bike pictured IMHO the bike is trashed and the engine will self destruct. 1900cc? (1914cc = 94x69) type 1's don't last long even with overdriven fans and big ass oil coolers. The thin wall 94s will distort and the pistons seize usually on #3.
Cheers

Fun to look at? To quote DEVO from 'It's a Beuatiful World", "for you, not for me!" I can't get past things not working to like the looks of it but I would rather ride my bikes like a mofo than look at them! Things that work are fun to look at.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #30
roguetek
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post

Cheers

That's what I was thinking when I said "If that's really 1900cc, I don't envy the owner....