Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #1456
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,107
Thanks, guys! It's a very profound experience to know that my words and my journey has inspired so many and encouraged others to live life more deeply.

Today was a very good day for me for three reasons I thought I'd share:

1) 2/9/13 marks the two year anniversary of surviving the brain tumor excavation that saved my life. I spent a lot of time today remembering the terrible days leading up to the diagnosis; a lot of time remembering the awful days after; and a lot of time thinking about how fucking great it is to be alive. (See celebratory video below!*)

2) I ran three hilly SF miles and didn't have the usual coma-like symptoms I've had in the past when I ran or rode my Cervelo. (Ironman number 5--could it be a non-lethal possibility?)

3) Ducati has been following along silently (those sneaky bastards!). They've also appreciated the ride enough to invite me to an event next month, but I didn't confirm what details I can share, so for now I'll only say it's going to f'in ROCK! I'll share the details when I can and of course--stay tuned for post-event Pics and Stories!!!!!

(*A few weeks after surgery I got the ok to remove the stitches from my head, but didn't feel like driving all the way to UCSF to do something I could do myself. So I grabbed my Swiss Army knife, an Exacto blade, hooked up a webcam (so I could see what I was doing) and, well....you've been warned!)

Removing Stitches - YouTube

AntiHero screwed with this post 02-09-2013 at 07:42 PM
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:34 PM   #1457
mint julep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
AH, u are WOLVERINE!

Swiss army FTW!

All the best. Hope Ducati hooks u up!
Your journey, pics,& words, was very inspiring.

Cheers, Dave.
mint julep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:38 AM   #1458
Lolodesiles
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Yesss!

since weeks i was wondering if Duc have seen your journey, and thinking they maybe do somethin' with you, like you know, master ceremony

i like the way you remove the stitches of your head ............... .........

obviously you have used the right tool

cheers man ;)
Lolodesiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:34 AM   #1459
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,253
Badass video! A true Ironman.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #1460
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Congtaz on all!
Really want to hear and see pics of what ever ducati has planned.
Great video, I usually do my own too, should of videoed myself taking the ones out of my jaw!, then again I was too scared to take the ones out of my puppy when she got hurt and they stitched her up with like 10.

Still getting checked out once in a while, I hope. (cancer that is)
Old 02-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #1461
flumpmaster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
These Italian dual sport bikes sure look kinda funny

I now have over six hundred miles on my F**k it bike - a few of them on dirt roads. This bike is fantastic to look at, terrifyingly fast (for a KLR rider) and remarkably comfortable. I've been out for over 200 miles on one ride and felt fresh as a daisy afterwards.

Did I say it was fantastic to look at? I sometimes just go out to the garage with a beer and just stare...It's about the most beautiful inanimate object I own. For anyone out there sat on the fence....just do it.

Now I think I'll have to modify the fenders to get the Dunlop 606s to fit.
flumpmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:40 PM   #1462
saha6818
Tumbleweed

Oddometer: 40
Cheers

Thanks for taking the time to prepare such a great ride report. I just got caught up. If/when your four-wheel adventures take you north and you need a place to stay, you're welcome to use my guest bedroom in Seattle. It's not as luxury as you're used to, but there's wifi and beer!
saha6818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:47 AM   #1463
FlyingFrog
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
Thanks, guys! It's a very profound experience to know that my words and my journey has inspired so many and encouraged others to live life more deeply.

Today was a very good day for me for three reasons I thought I'd share:

1) 2/9/13 marks the two year anniversary of surviving the brain tumor excavation that saved my life. I spent a lot of time today remembering the terrible days leading up to the diagnosis; a lot of time remembering the awful days after; and a lot of time thinking about how fucking great it is to be alive. (See celebratory video below!*)

2) I ran three hilly SF miles and didn't have the usual coma-like symptoms I've had in the past when I ran or rode my Cervelo. (Ironman number 5--could it be a non-lethal possibility?)

3) Ducati has been following along silently (those sneaky bastards!). They've also appreciated the ride enough to invite me to an event next month, but I didn't confirm what details I can share, so for now I'll only say it's going to f'in ROCK! I'll share the details when I can and of course--stay tuned for post-event Pics and Stories!!!!!

(*A few weeks after surgery I got the ok to remove the stitches from my head, but didn't feel like driving all the way to UCSF to do something I could do myself. So I grabbed my Swiss Army knife, an Exacto blade, hooked up a webcam (so I could see what I was doing) and, well....you've been warned!)

Removing Stitches - YouTube

With all the msg you've received not much I could possibly add except just "Outstanding". I'm presently sitting in Afghanistan on a day off which is way over rated over here. Have enjoyed your RR more than about anything I've read lately. You would have made a great Team guy in my previous career as a Navy SEAL and some of your comments reminded me of things I would have liked to have read while going through BUDS years ago. I retired from the Navy in 1986 but still working supporting the military flying aircraft on a civilian contract. Back home you can usually find me riding my Aprilia TuonoV4R around the Blue Ridge Mountains of NC. Again THANKS!
FlyingFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #1464
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Loved seeing your pics, flumpmaster! Great to see another Pani off-road. Let me know if you ever get those 606s mounted. Might just have to consider a set myself. ;)

saha6818: Thanks for the offer up in Seattle....if I can't go international soon, a 'weekend' (HA!) trip up to Portland, Seattle and Vancouver should hold me over nicely. ;)

FlyingFrog: Wow, thanks for saying so. Enlisting when I was younger was one of those 'almosts'. I'll always wonder what would have happened if I had. Perhaps it's not too late for the French Foreign Legion???? ;)

AntiHero screwed with this post 02-12-2013 at 11:06 AM
Old 02-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #1465
sandbagger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
OMG!! Didnt you have anybody that you trust to help remove thr stitches? OUCH!!! Your ride report ranks with the best i've read on this site....very inspiring and well written, your the MANNNN.
sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #1466
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbagger View Post
OMG!! Didnt you have anybody that you trust to help remove thr stitches? OUCH!!! Your ride report ranks with the best i've read on this site....very inspiring and well written, your the MANNNN.
I got most of 'em out, but there were a couple knots I couldn't manage. Girlfriend got the rest the next time we saw each other. ;)
Old 02-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #1467
MotorRAJ
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Don't Stop---

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
I'm still trying to work out a happiness index of the cities I've been through....I've narrowed it down to being very activity based. More on that (hopefully) to come.

The most valuable lesson I've extracted from this trip so far involves experiencing an idea I've known--but was a bit suspicious of (sorry Joseph Campbell!)--all along. Our lives can be spent carrying out actions that we hope will lead us to a greater sense of purpose, accomplishment and meaning, but all these are secondary to the need to feel alive. And when we pursue the activities that make us truly feel alive, we discover the places and people and things we always had wished existed--people and places and things that have always been there--waiting patiently for our arrival.
Waiting for our discovery of them.. and ourselves over again.

Now, I have not finished reading of your journey as of it, but I am in process. I got to this passage above and wanted to stop and respond. I am thoroughly enjoying the read, the relating, the pics.. and even the pics of food.. that are making me salivate with envy. I post this at the end (it suppose it might be..but Im not yet finished reading) so that you will find it easier perhaps.

I relate to All of this so much... having been through mental crushings.. and breakthroughs like you AntiHero...just as many of us.

We climb, we fall, and We should always try to get back up again.

I appreciate what you've done here. Several years back I set out to reinvent my life- I had spent my whole life focusing on making the right decisions, when it all failed me in my hopes and dreams, as well as damn near everyone's expectations, I just cut the sentence off to "decide", realizing even a bad decision can make all the difference in the world..producing still a wonderful result. I faced much ridicule for my approach. Some even became presumptuous to say that I "ran away from responsibilities"...or whatever. Yet, that was never the case; Not much was missing my attention- the bills all were paid in full... punctually.

I too once had "The Girl".. or so I thought for a moment, but one day while reflecting back on my life- what I had tried, failed, succeeded....along side the vehicles I had built, nurtured, loved, embraced even for their vicious ways, I concluded: The moment of me was bigger- I had to learn to be me again, but better. I had to be content only with NOW. The past is fading. The future fleeting. Now is all that wants to include me.

I too have moved on to a Ducati 1199 and spend everyday on it, obsessively. It is my only mobility, but a divine species for such things. I spend most days stuck in or around my city..unfortunately. Once though, it was a special car I wandered in... among vehicles that came and went that were also special to me, also among my life-drive of nomadic tendencies.

I have 7800 miles or so on my 1199 at the moment.. still hoping to get-Gone on it.

For now, I don't have much more to say but Id like to compliment you on your decision to wander. embracing the You that felt the need... and perhaps embracing the uncertainty. It never matters where we go.. or how we get there so much. I believe it is the discovery..and the becoming. The reset perhaps; finding what moments want to hold us..and shine with us.

Don't Stop "AntiHero", you are doing a Great job.
MotorRAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:02 PM   #1468
ewaugh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
AH, I was raised by two nurses and am a firefighter/EMT myself. It's a pretty cool video but that's a lunch time story around here I'll never forget the time my dad cut a piece of glass out of my foot. Or when I fell off the porch (not that I was drinking or anything [technically at that point it's referred to as drankin in the south])and had to get stitches. My dad was like what the hell when they didn't use dissolving thread.
ewaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:01 AM   #1469
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

MotorRAJ--keep piling the miles on. Sounds like you're on the right track. Hope you enjoy the rest of the Ride Report.

ewaugh--I wish I had pictures of, oh, I don't know--all the fingernails I've had to remove with pliers?--to elevate your estimation beyond just lunch time stories. (Hmmm...I think I might have some toe-nail pulling vids....let me check on that). I'll consider uploading some other gory injuries I managed to take pics of before going to the hospital, but I really can't compete with professionals now....just happy to be alive!
Old 02-15-2013, 06:24 PM   #1470
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ok, so I've been given the green light to share.

As I said before, Ducati has been following along. And when the trip ended, they called. Apparently Gabriele Del Torchio, (Ducati CEO), asked the PR Manager for North America (Tim Collins), to get in touch with me, which he did via Aaron Klink, the Sales Manager of Newport Beach Ducati.

Tim said that Ducati Italy was “amazed” by the trip--and to show their appreciation, they're flying me out to the Circuit of the Americas next month for the launch of the 1199R. I'll get to meet Mr. Del Torchio himself, along with the head engineer behind the Panigale. Ben Spies and Nicky Hayden will be there, too—along with more 1199Rs than you can shake a conrod at.

Very excited. Ducati rocks.