Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 54 votes, 4.83 average. Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #4261
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp4073 View Post
Can anyone ID this radial motor? It has just taken up residence in my side yard. Its 9 cyl, single row, suspecting 30s. Its big and heavy, so probably strapped onto a metal frame, not wood. Also if you look at the valve covers, they are clipped on, not bolted on.

Does it not have a data tag?

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:24 AM   #4262
Flying-D
Just Passing Through

Oddometer: 2,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Does it not have a data tag?
Probably on the side facing down (front)...
Old 02-11-2013, 07:44 AM   #4263
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying-D View Post
Probably on the side facing down (front)...
So get a mirror!

Old 02-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #4264
Trixie
No, not that Trixie

Oddometer: 3,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
So get a mirror forklift!

feeexed

Trixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #4265
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
feeexed
Yeah, I need to get out there and check it. The data plate is pretty hard to read. Didnt get anything off it...but will try to do some better cleaning and post pics.
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:37 AM   #4266
Beamer Pilot
Obviously a major malf...

Oddometer: 189
American - US Airways

Any of you guys impacted by the new merger???
Old 02-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #4267
Daniii
geezer

Oddometer: 21,666
I watched one take off from a T-29 while in training in 1968.

SR-71 BLACKBIRD!!

FROM AN SR-71 PILOT.......Very interesting read....

In April 1986,following an attack on American soldiers in a Berlin disco, President Reagan ordered the bombing of Muammar Qaddafi's terrorist camps in Libya

My duty was to fly over Libya , and take photographs recording the damage our F-111's had inflicted.

Qaddafi had established a 'line of death,' a territorial marking across the Gulf of Sidra, swearing to shoot down any intruder, that crossed the boundary.

On the morning of April 15, I rocketed past the line at 2,125 mph.

I was piloting the SR-71 spy plane, the world's fastest jet, accompanied by a Marine Major (Walt), the aircraft's reconnaissance systems officer (RSO).

We had crossed into Libya, and were approaching our final turn over the bleak desert landscape, when Walt informed me, that he was receiving missile launch signals.

I quickly increased our speed, calculating the time it would take for the weapons, most likely SA-2 and SA-4 surface-to-air missiles, capable of Mach 5 - to reach our altitude. I estimated, that we could beat the rocket-powered missiles to the turn, and
stayed our course, betting our lives on the plane's performance.

After several agonizingly long seconds, we made the turn and blasted toward the Mediterranean

'You might want to pull it back,' Walt suggested. It was then that I noticed I still had the throttles full forward.

The plane was flying a mile every 1.6 seconds, well above our Mach 3.2 limit.

It was the fastest we would ever fly.

I pulled the throttles to idle, just south of Sicily ,but we still overran the refueling tanker, awaiting us over Gibraltar

Scores of significant aircraft have been produced in the 100 years of flight, following the achievements of the Wright brothers, which we celebrate in December.

Aircraft such as the Boeing 707, the F-86 Sabre Jet, and the P-51 Mustang, are among the important machines, that have flown our skies.

But the SR-71, also known as the Blackbird, stands alone as a significant contributor to Cold War victory, and as the fastest plane ever, and only 93 Air Force pilots, ever steered the 'sled,' as we called our aircraft.

The SR-71, was the brainchild of Kelly Johnson, the famed Lockheed designer, who created the P-38, the F-104 Starfighter, and the U-2.

After the Soviets shot down Gary Powers U-2 in 1960,Johnson began to develop an aircraft, that would fly three miles higher, and five times faster, than the spy plane,and still be capable of photographing your license plate.

However, flying at 2,000 mph would create intense heat on the aircraft's skin. Lockheed engineers used a titanium alloy, to construct more than 90 percent of the SR-71, creating special tools, and manufacturing procedures to hand-build each of the (40 planes.. (Wow ! ! ! 40 planes???? I thought only 7.) Special heat-resistant fuel, oil, and hydraulic fluids, that would function at 85,000 feet, and higher, also had to be developed.

In 1962, the first Blackbird successfully flew, and in 1966, the same year I graduated from high school, the Air Force began flying operational SR-71 missions.I came to the program in 1983, with a sterling record and a recommendation from my commander, completing the week long interview, and meeting Walt, my partner for the next four years. He would ride four feet behind me, working all the cameras, radios, and electronic jamming equipment.

I joked, that if we were ever captured, he was the spy, and I was just the driver. He told me to keep the pointy end forward. We trained for a year, flying out of Beale AFB in California , Kadena Airbase in Okinawa , and RAF Mildenhall in England

On a typical training mission, we would take off near Sacramento , refuel over Nevada, accelerate into Montana, obtain a high Mach speed over Colorado , turn right over New Mexico, speed across the Los Angeles Basin, run up the West Coast, turn right at Seattle , then return to Beale.

Total flight time:- Two Hours and Forty Minutes.

One day, high above Arizona , we were monitoring the radio traffic, of all the mortal airplanes below us. First, a Cessna pilot asked the air traffic controllers to to check his ground speed. Ninety knots,' ATC replied. A Bonanza soon made the same request.'One-twenty on the ground,' was the reply.

To our surprise, a navy F-18 came over the radio, with a ground speed check. I knew exactly what he was doing. Of course, he had a ground speed indicator in his cockpit, but he wanted to let all the bug-smashers in the valley, know what real speed was, 'Dusty 52, we show you at 620 on the ground,' ATC responded.

The situation was too ripe.

I heard the click of Walt's mike button in the rear seat. In his most innocent voice, Walt startled the controller by asking for a ground speed check from 81,000 feet, clearly above controlled airspace.

In a cool, professional voice, the controller replied,'Aspen 20, I show you at 1,982 knots on the ground.' We did not hear another transmission on that frequency, all the way to the coast.

The Blackbird always showed us something new, each aircraft possessing its own unique personality. In time, we realized we were flying a national treasure.

When we taxied out of our revetments for take-off, people took notice. Traffic congregated near the airfield fences, because everyone wanted to see, and hear the mighty SR-71.

You could not be a part of this program, and not come to love the airplane.

In the first 100 years of manned flight, no aircraft was more remarkable. The Blackbird had outrun nearly 4,000 missiles, not once taking a scratch from enemy fire.

On her final flight, the Blackbird, destined for the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum,sped from Los Angeles to Washington in 64 Minutes, averaging 2,145 mph, and setting four speed records.
Daniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #4268
hwy61
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
^^^^^^^^That is so cool! Thanks^^^^^^^^
Old 02-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #4269
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Skunk works is an awesome book.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #4270
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 16,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniii View Post
.... sped from Los Angeles to Washington in 64 Minutes, averaging 2,145 mph...
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:20 PM   #4271
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,792
Not to be picky but the sixty four minutes, I believe, was first flying out over the pacific ocean (probably with inflight refueling) and winding it up to dash cruise speed then heading to D.C., overflying D.C, then landing. A minor point of little consequence - it's still plenty fast.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #4272
Trixie
No, not that Trixie

Oddometer: 3,434
I posted in another thread that talked about the Saturn V reverse engineering that was going on. The SR-71 is another example of technology that existed well before its time, and represents the peak of American engineering superiority, which I believe has digressed since the 60's.

Technological progress is still being made, but the level of innovation and ingenuity just does not exist in this country as it did then.

The Blackbird was a craft that by all common sense, should not have been possible, yet they did it.

Trixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:18 PM   #4273
Short Shins
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Wings over Wairarapa 2013

In all the excitement of the Mosquito being displayed for the last time in New Zealand a lot of people fogot about the Anson

Vampires

Ernest Hemingway
Short Shins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #4274
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Could this be called a bird strike?

Quote:
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:

mfp4073 screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 07:41 PM
Old 02-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #4275
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Shins View Post
In all the excitement of the Mosquito being displayed for the last time in New Zealand a lot of people fogot about the Anson

Vampires
Man, those are cool.
Quote:
Quote:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: