User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 03:28 AM   #901
arcanum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
make room for carb removal

This would be an individual choice according to bike model. Mine is a cb450sc Nighthawk

When taking carbs off the bike to clean them,consider making more room for the removal. On a recent Nighthawk carb clean,I took the rear fender, air filter box& battery,and then I had an easier time to get the carbs off and back on. I also took off one side of the engine mount off so I could get the carbies off with the throttle cables attached. I had a cardboard box placed at a comfortable height stuffed with rags and a clean towel on top to catch any little part that dropped during dis-assembly.

This paid off big time,because it took two or three attempts to get the carb sorted. The carb sinch stayed at factory setting because the control cables stayed attached.It was also easy to see that the accelerator pump worked by directly viewing the little squirts of gas because the cables were still attached. Of course,you must use your own judgement about how your own bike dis-assembles whether or not you wish to try this method
arcanum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #902
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,324
Spill proof tank draining on a BMW.

Use an old Quick Disconnect and a piece of hose to drain the tank:

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #903
stsmike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Wheel polishing

I found this in the NGWclub.com site (Goldwing), so its not mine. A member there purchased some Lester wheels for his GW. He wanted to polish the outer edge, while powder-coating the spokes and hub. The wheel was pretty beat up, so he had a lot of work to do. He built this ingenious rig to spin the wheel while he sanded/polished it.

He clamped a board to his drill presses table. This board extended out a few feet from the press. He drilled a hole in the end that protruded away from the press and installed a bolt that could be used as an "axle". He slid the wheel (with bearings) over the bolt and secured it with a washer and a nut; thus allowing the wheel to spin freely on the bearings. A belt slipped over the wheel and then the chuck (although I would feel better about chucking up a small pulley and shaft) allows the drill press to spin the wheel!

This would allow sanding and polishing go very much faster and would keep things "even".

Sorry, I thought I knew how to post pics

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/l...2723Medium.jpg

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/l...2732Medium.jpg

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/l...2735Medium.jpg

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/l...2739Medium.jpg

Stolen (shamelessly) from here: http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtop...38587&start=75

stsmike screwed with this post 02-12-2013 at 02:09 PM
stsmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #904
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,939
stsmike,

Good repost. That gives me some good ideas. There's a lot you can do with a drill press. Btw, I have a "radial arm" drill press that has a 17" reach. Came from Harbor Frt for about $225. Best deal I ever got from them.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #905
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by stsmike View Post
I found this in the NGWclub.com site (Goldwing), so its not mine. A member there purchased some Lester wheels for his GW. He wanted to polish the outer edge, while powder-coating the spokes and hub. The wheel was pretty beat up, so he had a lot of work to do. He built this ingenious rig to spin the wheel while he sanded/polished it.

He clamped a board to his drill presses table. This board extended out a few feet from the press. He drilled a hole in the end that protruded away from the press and installed a bolt that could be used as an "axle". He slid the wheel (with bearings) over the bolt and secured it with a washer and a nut; thus allowing the wheel to spin freely on the bearings. A belt slipped over the wheel and then the chuck (although I would feel better about chucking up a small pulley and shaft) allows the drill press to spin the wheel!

This would allow sanding and polishing go very much faster and would keep things "even".

Sorry, I thought I knew how to post pics

Stolen (shamelessly) from here: http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtop...38587&start=75

You used this Instead of this

Old 02-13-2013, 02:56 PM   #906
stsmike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Thanks Scooter!!
stsmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #907
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Spill proof tank draining on a BMW.

Use an old Quick Disconnect and a piece of hose to drain the tank:

Jim
Huh? Doesn't the fuel normally come out the line that is floating in the air and go into the tank where you connected a hose? It is the return line from the fuel pressure regulator that is dangling in your photo, isn't it. Or do I have it wrong?
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:12 PM   #908
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
Huh? Doesn't the fuel normally come out the line that is floating in the air and go into the tank where you connected a hose? It is the return line from the fuel pressure regulator that is dangling in your photo, isn't it. Or do I have it wrong?
No, when unplugged a QD is sealed. I used a male QD to plug into the female QD to get the fuel going.

Jim
Old 02-14-2013, 11:32 PM   #909
Interceptor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Cool2 ABS Brake Fluid System Flush

While doing an ABS system flush on a friends RT, we floated a plastic bottle cap in the front brake reservoir .
This stopped brake fluid from squirting out when squeezing the brake lever.
Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:58 AM   #910
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
While doing an ABS system flush on a friends RT, we floated a plastic bottle cap in the front brake reservoir .
Brilliant! I had a bike once that would fountain brake fluid from the res on the most gentle of squeezes, it was very frustrating.
The Stable
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #911
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,443
Quote:
I like that better than dropping a coin in the reservoir. I shall be doing the plastic trick in the next couple days.

Hum....maybe I'll even cut a piece of plastic just the right size and keep that with the other "special tools".
Old 02-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #912
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Damn, great idea!

Jim
Old 02-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #913
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,544
Quote:
I thought a squirt like that ment air in the system?
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:52 AM   #914
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 9,208
not necessarily air . . . some (most) ,maser cylinders will discharge fluid from the hole that supplies it to the piston bore, until the piston covers the hole . . . this isn't often seen, as the reservoir is most often covered during use, yes?
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #915
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,144
10 second master link pliers - cost $0.00

07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote