ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 03:21 PM   #60541
Vinduroman
Studly Adventurer
 
Vinduroman's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Patooty, Eastern Oklahoma
Oddometer: 571
Quote:
What do you guys think? ( Pic of an adorable little girl proudly by her new iron steed.)
I think God has blessed you with a little cutie pie. Enjoy her while you can... they grow up WAAAY too fast!

V-man
__________________
1969 - 2012: 43 Years Of Riding And Still Counting!
Vinduroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #60542
Scribe
£Bob£
 
Scribe's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: In my natural state
Oddometer: 6,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckin View Post
What do you guys think?

I think you need to puts some boots on that kid. And you need to let me take that two smoker out for a ride. Looks like a hoot. I hope she takes to it. I bought my daughter an XR 100 when she was about 12 and sold it two years later. She probably rode it twice.
__________________
"Do or do not. There is no 'try.'"
— Yoda
Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #60543
stuckin
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Bella Vista, AR
Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
I think you need to puts some boots on that kid. And you need to let me take that two smoker out for a ride. Looks like a hoot. I hope she takes to it. I bought my daughter an XR 100 when she was about 12 and sold it two years later. She probably rode it twice.
So far she has put a lot of miles on her 90 four wheeler and has been riding her little bothers 70 with training wheels all over place. She loves to ride. Hopefully this one is not to much for her. we have a big grass/dirt place for her to try it out and get used to it.

If you guys have any advice on starting a kid with a clutch let me know.

stuck
stuckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #60544
ridewestKTM
Beastly Adventurer
 
ridewestKTM's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: now in Katy TX
Oddometer: 1,689
Looks good to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckin View Post
So far she has put a lot of miles on her 90 four wheeler and has been riding her little bothers 70 with training wheels all over place. She loves to ride. Hopefully this one is not to much for her. we have a big grass/dirt place for her to try it out and get used to it.

If you guys have any advice on starting a kid with a clutch let me know.

stuck
Like I said unless she is going to MX race put about 3 inches of header pipe in it.
For training with the clutch have her start in 2nd or 3rd a few times - teaches to fan. Another trick is to do a few feet at a time, teaches to let out and back in before letting it out all the way.

Looks fun.
__________________
My 950KTM makes me feel like a little kid again......because it's so tall!
ridewestKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #60545
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole
 
TRZ Charlie's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Oddometer: 14,443
It was freakin cold at that game...brrrrrrr. Martha and I (well me) wimped out and left at the 7th inning. I'm still not warm.
__________________
My SPOT - No tracks = not riding | Mapsource Tutorial | Husky TR650 Thread Index | Husky TR650 OEM and Interchangeable Parts List | Charter Member: T.O. Club | Voted - "Nicest Asshole you will ever meet" by my friends
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #60546
Vinduroman
Studly Adventurer
 
Vinduroman's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Patooty, Eastern Oklahoma
Oddometer: 571
MartiniUp said:

Quote:
My 75 GS250 was purtier! And totally original except for the Works Performance shocks.
Well then... post pics of it! You know, put up or shut up!

Speaking of yours being a '75: Mine may have been a '75, too. I really can't remember. (Old age sucks, 'ya know!)

I purchased mine off Bill Hutchison over at Wheeler Kawasaki on Towson Ave in Ft. Smith back in the mid-70's... just can't remember the date any closer than that. It was Bill's personal woods scoot and he sold it to get something else. So, it was a model year old when I purchased it, I think? Bill had performed most of the mods, including the aluminum tank. I recall that I also received the OEM fiberglass tank with it, along with some other bits n' pieces.

SHOULDN'T have got rid of that one.

HOWEVER, in the interest of fairness, it DID have "warts". One thing I remember detesting was the stiff clutch (normal for that model engine) as well as some drag of same. (Again, all too common.) Didn't matter how it was adjusted, it was stiff and would drag. I also recall it drinking the gas... not as much trail range as I liked.

Other than those couple items, it was a great bike... especially considering its peers.

V-man
__________________
1969 - 2012: 43 Years Of Riding And Still Counting!
Vinduroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:55 PM   #60547
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer
 
jtwest's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Wickenburg, AZ
Oddometer: 2,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckin View Post
What do you guys think?

Beautiful machine, tellin you though add 3 inches
jtwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #60548
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer
 
jtwest's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Wickenburg, AZ
Oddometer: 2,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwest View Post
Beautiful machine, tellin you though add 3 inches
Nevermind just read someones way ahead of me
jtwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #60549
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer
 
jtwest's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Wickenburg, AZ
Oddometer: 2,407
Just had dinner with the wife at 28springs again complete with a stay at hampton. Once again great meal 3 for 3.
jtwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #60550
Valentino Magoo
Like a speeding slug
 
Valentino Magoo's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Faytown, Arkansas
Oddometer: 2,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
its usually in the passenger side kick panel in a ford truck
Yeah, I was going to check that first. I haven't checked fuses either. I did run it after I put in the master cylinder (I tested the brakes), so I don't think that's it. It hasn't moved since it ran last, so nothing bumped into it.

Only maybe related oddity is that I was having trouble with the ignition being really hard to turn (like it was glued). I put some WD-40 in the key hole (did not help), before I read that this is a common problem with these fords,but the fix isn't easy (some actuator bar in the column). It is easier to turn when above freezing, so I heated the column with my heat gun to see if that loosened it up. It did help. After doing this, I was able to get it running, so I don't think anything in the column was fried.
__________________
12 WR 250R, 11 Burgman 650, 00 HD softtail
Charter Member: T.O. Club...........You can follow My Spot
2014 3 Hogs Root in the WyCoUt
Valentino Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:23 PM   #60551
tokyoklahoma
75%has been25%wanabe
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: N.W. Arkansas
Oddometer: 1,367
Thumb feexed

Well the fridge is finally fixed right.
The heating coils, that were controlled by the thermostat that I changed, were fried. So I was on the right track.
$150 for the fix, a lot cheaper than a new fridge.


Stuckin, you sir, are officially a cool dad!
__________________
You can call me TKO
tokyoklahoma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #60552
ozarkrider
Discombobulated Sociopath
 
ozarkrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Twin Lakes, AR
Oddometer: 5,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwest View Post
Beautiful machine, tellin you though add 3 inches
We been tellin' Doc that for ages.









__________________
O'Jay

I'm not weird, I'm Limited Edition!

Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is 100%
ozarkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:10 AM   #60553
DrLewall
The Human GPS
 
DrLewall's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Drakes Creek, AR
Oddometer: 30,906
Mornin fellers


Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckin View Post

If you guys have any advice on starting a kid with a clutch let me know.

stuck
heres whatcha do...find a good sturdy wall...perhaps the side of your garage outside, and it has to be level!

butt the front wheel up against the wall..that way, she can't launch the bike, the wall will kill the engine.

have her PRACTICE letting the clutch out to where the real wheel starts to turn WITHOUT killing the engine while giving a little thottle..and then pull the clutch back in, and repeat..if she can hold that clutch friction (where the wheel wants to turn with power) for abt 2 seconds, then she will get the idea. Teach her that she does not have to get a hand full of throttle to achieve this..they pick it up pretty quick.
DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:05 AM   #60554
wayno
Beastly Adventurer
 
wayno's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: East of KCMO
Oddometer: 6,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
Mornin fellers




heres whatcha do...find a good sturdy wall...perhaps the side of your garage outside, and it has to be level!

butt the front wheel up against the wall..that way, she can't launch the bike, the wall will kill the engine.

have her PRACTICE letting the clutch out to where the real wheel starts to turn WITHOUT killing the engine while giving a little thottle..and then pull the clutch back in, and repeat..if she can hold that clutch friction (where the wheel wants to turn with power) for abt 2 seconds, then she will get the idea. Teach her that she does not have to get a hand full of throttle to achieve this..they pick it up pretty quick.
Morning Doc That hand full of throttle is real important
__________________
RIDE SAFE
Old but DAMN I'm glad to be here....
may as well Laugh
wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:28 AM   #60555
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid
 
mouthfulloflake's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: N.W. Arkansas
Oddometer: 15,635
those lock cylinders in that vintage ford are common to fudge up like that, its about $14 for a new one, and its pretty simple to swap them out.

they keys wont match your doors after that though, a locksmith can fix that for you if it matters.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino Magoo View Post
Yeah, I was going to check that first. I haven't checked fuses either. I did run it after I put in the master cylinder (I tested the brakes), so I don't think that's it. It hasn't moved since it ran last, so nothing bumped into it.

Only maybe related oddity is that I was having trouble with the ignition being really hard to turn (like it was glued). I put some WD-40 in the key hole (did not help), before I read that this is a common problem with these fords,but the fix isn't easy (some actuator bar in the column). It is easier to turn when above freezing, so I heated the column with my heat gun to see if that loosened it up. It did help. After doing this, I was able to get it running, so I don't think anything in the column was fried.
__________________
In dog beers, I've only had one.
Charter member: T.O. club.
Tilt your head, not the taco.
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014