Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-16-2013, 07:45 AM   #1
The Fonz OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Adventure Bike suggestions

All,

My wife and I really enjoy riding. We currently have a 1998 Honda Goldwing and have ridden it all over the lower 48 US states. It suits us quite well for road trips, but is not so great in the dirt and mud. We are wanting to dabble into more adventure type rides. In about five to ten years we are planning to ride to Ushuaia, so we are wanting to pick up a machine that we can enjoy, take on off road trips, and ultimately gain experience and practice for this ambitious trip.

I am hoping we can get some advice on a bike that would suit us. We are wanting to go two up, but a side car rig would be OK as well. I am 5'8" with a 30 inch inseam. We both weigh in at about 200 pounds each. I am hoping to find something that I can come close to flat footing with if we wind up going two up. We looked at a BMW 1200 GS Adventure last night and I it was a little too tall for me though the passenger room looked adequate for my wife. We looked at a Ural a few months back, but I am concerned about part availability, speed, comfort for long distance, and reliability. My wife also has some reservations about being in a side car while traveling through cities (being on the back of the bike does not phase her).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

The Fonz

The Fonz
Alaska Ride 2012: http://okiemom6.blogspot.com/
http://www.thefonz.whereamiriding.com
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote