Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #811
AndyT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Hopefully, you are already on the road and past San Antonio by now. If not, you know where I am, if I can be any help.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #812
dbmet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Lol good luck. I'm south of there about 100 miles. Hope your macgyvering goes well..
dbmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:43 PM   #813
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
not guilty on the superbowl thing, i was in Vegas watching the game...riding is on hold now for a year, i have settled in Nevada again to sort things out...next up will be New Zealand once everything is resolved here
Good luck sorting everything.

NZ in about a year... that sounds like how I plan my time. And I might be there around then. Who knows realy though. Keep a look out... we might have to have a few rounds of beers.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:11 PM   #814
airdale7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
good luck Paul.

Every day is a new adventure!
airdale7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:03 AM   #815
foggyred
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
not guilty on the superbowl thing, i was in Vegas watching the game...riding is on hold now for a year, i have settled in Nevada again to sort things out...next up will be New Zealand once everything is resolved here
hey paul i have been following your adventure from the start and have been loving it all the way,if you need any help with coming to nz or some where to store the bike i am a hour away from christchurch airport and would love to help if i can,you will love nz ,foggyred
foggyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #816
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesupreme View Post
you still gonna build an RFS bike?..... you would be famous.... .... or at least a little more so.....
i update on this in a week or two, something in the works...
rtwpaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:45 AM   #817
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
Hopefully, you are already on the road and past San Antonio by now. If not, you know where I am, if I can be any help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmet View Post
Lol good luck. I'm south of there about 100 miles. Hope your macgyvering goes well..
i had already passed you both by the time i read this...but thanks for the offers of help
Old 02-13-2013, 08:46 AM   #818
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
Good luck sorting everything.

NZ in about a year... that sounds like how I plan my time. And I might be there around then. Who knows realy though. Keep a look out... we might have to have a few rounds of beers.
its a little vague but its good enough for now, beer sounds good in any country, we'll have to plan that meeting point when i have more definite plans laid out

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale74451 View Post
good luck Paul.
thanks
Old 02-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #819
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyred View Post
hey paul i have been following your adventure from the start and have been loving it all the way,if you need any help with coming to nz or some where to store the bike i am a hour away from christchurch airport and would love to help if i can,you will love nz ,foggyred
thanks for the offer of help...

i've been looking into shipping the bike there and it seems it will ship to Dunedin, so at a guess i'm thinking thats at least 3 hours south of you...but either way we should meet up for sure, any ideas on local knowledge for good tracks that i would never find send me a PM

you'll know when i'm coming if you see updates from this thread
Old 02-13-2013, 10:28 PM   #820
foggyred
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
thanks for the offer of help...

i've been looking into shipping the bike there and it seems it will ship to Dunedin, so at a guess i'm thinking thats at least 3 hours south of you...but either way we should meet up for sure, any ideas on local knowledge for good tracks that i would never find send me a PM

you'll know when i'm coming if you see updates from this thread
no worries paul, just let me now if i can be of any help,best time of year is jan,feb,march but then nothings guaranteed with the weather.
foggyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #821
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyred View Post
no worries paul, just let me now if i can be of any help,best time of year is jan,feb,march but then nothings guaranteed with the weather.
it'll be a good test of the Klim Goretex then...
Old 02-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #822
IRIDE56
Mike

Oddometer: 35
gear

I read your report, Going back through it with a pad and pin , For my little trip,coming in November.
I notice you have your gear on and looking around at the people it has to be hot there,, Do you have ice in your pockets?
Is the gear that good to keep you cool, Are you just real tough,,,,,
and what clothing gear do you recommend....
I got my note pad out , The back account may say no!!! Some of that Klim is high dollar stuff.
Thanks
Mike
IRIDE56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:19 AM   #823
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRIDE56 View Post
I read your report, Going back through it with a pad and pin , For my little trip,coming in November.
I notice you have your gear on and looking around at the people it has to be hot there,, Do you have ice in your pockets?
Is the gear that good to keep you cool, Are you just real tough,,,,,
and what clothing gear do you recommend....
I got my note pad out , The back account may say no!!! Some of that Klim is high dollar stuff.
Thanks
Mike
riding gear is a real debatable subject, different brands, different textiles, different claims of what they will do for you as a rider...so i 'll give you my take on it

for me personally the weather hot or cold doesn't really bother me too much either way, i lived in hot climates for years, 12 years in Nevada, then more years in Morocco, Kenya, Bahamas all really hot places, but one thing if you can get used is wearing enough clothes. Fully vented clothes or mesh gear is good when moving except it will dehydrate you a lot, so an under layer is really required (your thermal liner) and keeping it done up all the time if you can bear it, i know it sounds strange that wearing more goes against logic.

This is where the dehydration comes in and you can avoid to some extent as when you stop yes you will sweat but once you start moving you will cool down again and your sweat will act in you favor and create an evaporative cooling type effect, think swamp cooler wind over water, your wet skin will cool you down as the breeze goes up your sleeves, keep everything closed and this will last longer...obviously wetting your shirt down will act as the same thing, or a cooling vest is good.

no for the reason for Klim or some equivalent high dollar gear...

if you ride a lot, for me 63,000 in the last 22 months for example, you will wear a lot of brands gear out, literally and you will replace it, so do this a few times and you end up at Klim, the quality far exceeds the cheap companies and if you had bought it in the first place you would be ahead of the game (dollar wise) and it does perform better, much better, holds up better in an off, quality and price by design i guess i'm saying here - i am a good example of this, i have worn out most of my gear and have new Klim gear sitting waiting to go for the next segment of my ride

for cold weather...as long as my hand are warm i'm good - so heated grips

just remember if its not Goretex and some companies alternate version of it, then its not Goretex and it won't work the same even if they claim it will

hope all this rambling helps
Old 02-17-2013, 12:33 AM   #824
IRIDE56
Mike

Oddometer: 35
Thanks for the reply.
AS some one that has been in the medical field for a long time what you say sinks in...
And you are the second person that has given Klim high marks..
Almost all the pants I have reviewed on Klim have had bad remarks in high heat and humidity
which one do to wear???
and any thing past Mexico the paper maps are a bitch to track down,,,
Thanks
Mike

Quote:
riding gear is a real debatable subject, different brands, different textiles, different claims of what they will do for you as a rider...so i 'll give you my take on it
for me personally the weather hot or cold doesn't really bother me too much either way, i lived in hot climates for years, 12 years in Nevada, then more years in Morocco, Kenya, Bahamas all really hot places, but one thing if you can get used is wearing enough clothes. Fully vented clothes or mesh gear is good when moving except it will dehydrate you a lot, so an under layer is really required (your thermal liner) and keeping it done up all the time if you can bear it, i know it sounds strange that wearing more goes against logic.

This is where the dehydration comes in and you can avoid to some extent as when you stop yes you will sweat but once you start moving you will cool down again and your sweat will act in you favor and create an evaporative cooling type effect, think swamp cooler wind over water, your wet skin will cool you down as the breeze goes up your sleeves, keep everything closed and this will last longer...obviously wetting your shirt down will act as the same thing, or a cooling vest is good.

no for the reason for Klim or some equivalent high dollar gear...

if you ride a lot, for me 63,000 in the last 22 months for example, you will wear a lot of brands gear out, literally and you will replace it, so do this a few times and you end up at Klim, the quality far exceeds the cheap companies and if you had bought it in the first place you would be ahead of the game (dollar wise) and it does perform better, much better, holds up better in an off, quality and price by design i guess i'm saying here - i am a good example of this, i have worn out most of my gear and have new Klim gear sitting waiting to go for the next segment of my ride

for cold weather...as long as my hand are warm i'm good - so heated grips

just remember if its not Goretex and some companies alternate version of it, then its not Goretex and it won't work the same even if they claim it will

hope all this rambling helps
IRIDE56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:41 AM   #825
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,266
Paper maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRIDE56 View Post
Thanks for the reply.
AS some one that has been in the medical field for a long time what you say sinks in...
And you are the second person that has given Klim high marks..
Almost all the pants I have reviewed on Klim have had bad remarks in high heat and humidity
which one do to wear???
and any thing past Mexico the paper maps are a bitch to track down,,,
Thanks
Mike
You could try these people in London: http://www.stanfords.co.uk/Countries/

You'll see a search by destination button on their website - don't use it, all the links on that page are incorrectly written - just use the link above to keep things simple.
MeinMotorrad is offline   Reply With Quote