Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #6076
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveller

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBryan View Post
Picked up My new tires, tubes, sprockets and chain for my gz..With gas prices shooting up like they have I'm probably going to get it all on tomorrow..Maybe even sneak a ride in if I can.. Thinking about heading to Hebron access on the north fork river.. Has a old steel bridge there
I'm always looking for good routes to explore. I really like riding the Ozarks (southern Missouri - northern Arkansas).
What road is that bridge on?

2012 Suzuki V-Strom-ADV, 2011 Kawasaki Versys, 2008 Yamaha TW200, 2013 Honda CRF250L

I'm never lost... Because I'm always right where I'm at...
Kankujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #6077
Slipinn
DevilDogMarine

Oddometer: 26
Good deal on tank bags and seat pads

http://www.amazon.com/Kwik-SB-6B-Tan...e+atv+tank+bag
Slipinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:29 PM   #6078
Slipinn
DevilDogMarine

tank saddlebags and seat pads on amazon

here is the link to the one's I bought today. 17 bucks each. That is a good deal.
http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Comfor...cycle+seat+pad

This might help on that uncomfortable seat I have on the ar250l for long rides.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #6079
Slipinn
DevilDogMarine

here is the other link

here is the link to the tank http://www.amazon.com/Kwik-SB-6B-Tan...e+atv+tank+bagbag's for 17 buck's in case anyone is looking for some.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:57 AM   #6080
OBryan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kankujoe View Post
I'm always looking for good routes to explore. I really like riding the Ozarks (southern Missouri - northern Arkansas).
What road is that bridge on?
. It's just off off highway 14 west of West Plains about 15 miles or so you go north on county road 279 a couple of miles and you are there..Beautiful place and some great riding around here..
OBryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:22 AM   #6081
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveller

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBryan View Post
. It's just off off highway 14 west of West Plains about 15 miles or so you go north on county road 279 a couple of miles and you are there..Beautiful place and some great riding around here..
I've added this route to my prospective ride list.

Thanks

2012 Suzuki V-Strom-ADV, 2011 Kawasaki Versys, 2008 Yamaha TW200, 2013 Honda CRF250L

I'm never lost... Because I'm always right where I'm at...
Kankujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:35 AM   #6082
calrider
I'm Lost Too!!

Oddometer: 673
Had to put in another plug for the Chinese bikes. I rode one 2-up around Colombia a few years ago and it worked fine. It's still going strong and I ride it whenever I get back there.
Here's the Ride Report.
calrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #6083
JayGoldstein
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipinn View Post
here is the link to the tank http://www.amazon.com/Kwik-SB-6B-Tan...e+atv+tank+bagbag's for 17 buck's in case anyone is looking for some.
A word of caution. I bought identical ATV tank saddlebags from Princess Auto for my DR200SE. The price was right (I think I paid $15) and they fit the DR's tank just fine. However, the bags are kept on the tank solely by gravity. The first (and last) time I used them I found that above 80 km/h (50 mph) they constantly flapped around in the wind (even with the weight of a full water bottle in one side and some food in the other). I had to keep my knees pressed against the bags to hold them down, which made for a very uncomfortable riding position.

The tank saddlebags are advertised for ATVs and probably are fine in that application. However, for use on a motorcycle some way of securing the bags to the gas tank is needed. If you've got a steel gas tank one option would be to sew magnets into the bags. Another possibility would be to sew on a strap so the bags can be hooked onto the edge of the gas tank.

Bottom line: I don't recommend these bags for motorcycle use. If you can afford them, tank panniers from Aerostich (http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-tank-panniers.html) or Wolfman (http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Tank/tank_panniers.html) look like much better choices.

JayGoldstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #6084
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by calrider View Post
Had to put in another plug for the Chinese bikes. I rode one 2-up around Colombia a few years ago and it worked fine. It's still going strong and I ride it whenever I get back there.
Here's the Ride Report.
Thanks for the reminder. I'm re-reading that great story you wrote up.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #6085
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,943
A simple solution for the cheap flapping ATV bags is to place it over the seat and sit on top of it. The bags will be behind your legs and are not in the way, even if they happen to flap.

They are not "the best" bags, but they do make it possible to carry a few things, and they are about as cheap as anything you'll find.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:06 PM   #6086
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
tank bag flap

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGoldstein View Post
A word of caution. I bought identical ATV tank saddlebags from Princess Auto for my DR200SE. The price was right (I think I paid $15) and they fit the DR's tank just fine. However, the bags are kept on the tank solely by gravity. The first (and last) time I used them I found that above 80 km/h (50 mph) they constantly flapped around in the wind (even with the weight of a full water bottle in one side and some food in the other). I had to keep my knees pressed against the bags to hold them down, which made for a very uncomfortable riding position.

The tank saddlebags are advertised for ATVs and probably are fine in that application. However, for use on a motorcycle some way of securing the bags to the gas tank is needed. If you've got a steel gas tank one option would be to sew magnets into the bags. Another possibility would be to sew on a strap so the bags can be hooked onto the edge of the gas tank.

Bottom line: I don't recommend these bags for motorcycle use. If you can afford them, tank panniers from Aerostich (http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-tank-panniers.html) or Wolfman (http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Tank/tank_panniers.html) look like much better choices.
I solved the flapping problem by stretching a cargo net over the bags, all the way to the bottom, fastened under the tank. Makes a convenient place to quickly slip in or out a pair of gloves or some other small item, under the net I mean. I also slip a map under there, folded to the part I'm using, or clip the heat controller for jacket or gloves onto the net. Once it's on there to hold the bags down, you'll find all kinds of uses.

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #6087
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by calrider View Post
Here's the Ride Report.
Yeah, I read that whole thread a year ago. Great story. Thanks for posting. I recently rode Ecuador and may do Columbia next winter. Your story influenced me.

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #6088
calrider
I'm Lost Too!!

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppawheelie View Post
Yeah, I read that whole thread a year ago. Great story. Thanks for posting. I recently rode Ecuador and may do Columbia next winter. Your story influenced me.
I'd love to ride Ecuador. Maybe next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Thanks for the reminder. I'm re-reading that great story you wrote up.
I really need to get out again and do something worth a write-up.

Last time I rode in Colombia I was on the 1st day of a 1-week ride and wiped out on a little trail in the mountains. My riding partner said I was out for 7 minutes. Broke three ribs. End of the ride!
calrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #6089
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppawheelie View Post
I solved the flapping problem by stretching a cargo net over the bags, all the way to the bottom, fastened under the tank. Makes a convenient place to quickly slip in or out a pair of gloves or some other small item, under the net I mean. I also slip a map under there, folded to the part I'm using, or clip the heat controller for jacket or gloves onto the net. Once it's on there to hold the bags down, you'll find all kinds of uses.

poppawheelie,

That's a great idea. I have a couple of those bungee nets & knew they'd be handy, but wasn't sure how to put them to use. I will try your tip.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #6090
Keithert
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
I have an XT225. Waiting for it to get warmer in Chicago. Nothing makes winter go slower than having a new bike.
1998 Ural Deco
Keithert is online now   Reply With Quote