Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #31
DustyRags
Idiot

Oddometer: 260
One more hijack, and then we'll let it go, promise!

Is there a thread about Oakland-area welding? I want to (re)learn welding, but have no connection to the local metal scene. Steel definitely, aluminum maybe later :P

/hijack
DustyRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #32
dpforth
no inline fours

Oddometer: 264
I don't know if this is considered Oakland area but

There's the Crucible. I always thought it must be a cool place.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:53 PM   #33
DustyRags
Idiot

Oddometer: 260
DPForth- The Crucible is definitely considered Oakland area, yes. It's on the shortlist of places to check out. Thanks :)

Killfile- great meeting you tonight! That bike looks sharp as hell. We'll talk once I get my shop together a bit more.
DustyRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:52 PM   #34
JimmyTheHog
Low Speed Adventurer

Oddometer: 687
Killfile - Nice to meet you tonight. The Aluminum body work on the CX is amazing and a work of art. I am glad to hear that its going to be his daily rider too. Oh yah - the rest of the sculptures there weren't bad either - Awesome. I could have spent more time looking at all the stuff, but the women dragged me out.

Verrrrry Inspirational ! I may go out in the garage and start pounding some metal and see what happens.

09 R12GSA, 2013 SC3 Adventure
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657449
http://www.carduccidualsport.com
JimmyTheHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #35
killfile OP
49/50

Oddometer: 353
DustyRags, JimmytheHog, great to meet you both! Glad we were able to chat and hear about the things you are both up to.
Jimmy, Nemo and I were both amazed at the development of the sportster! Very interesting to compare our almost opposite methods of production, I'll definitely be checking out your thread more often, I've been following as a lurker for a while.

The bike received a lot of positive comments on Saturday night. We're trying to line up some riding shots and maybe even some footage, but before that happens I'll keep adding episodes to the build thread. Next one should happen later today...
Old 02-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #36
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by killfile View Post
DustyRags, JimmytheHog, great to meet you both! Glad we were able to chat and hear about the things you are both up to.
Jimmy, Nemo and I were both amazed at the development of the sportster! Very interesting to compare our almost opposite methods of production, I'll definitely be checking out your thread more often, I've been following as a lurker for a while.

The bike received a lot of positive comments on Saturday night. We're trying to line up some riding shots and maybe even some footage, but before that happens I'll keep adding episodes to the build thread. Next one should happen later today...
Friends and I came by, met some ADV folks, but missed you. It looks great in person, especially with Nemo's other work in the shop. I think it's great to see him branching out a bit (and wish I had bought some of his work when it was affordable).
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #37
dpforth
no inline fours

Oddometer: 264
Are there going to be pictures forthcoming for those of us that didn't get to go to the show?
Old 02-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #38
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpforth View Post
Are there going to be pictures forthcoming for those of us that didn't get to go to the show?
Hi killfile!

Great thread, love to see the CX, one of my fav Hondas ... looking forward to more updates ...

see you on the curb,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:07 PM   #39
VietHorse
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 964
Awesome alu work. I wish I hava the shop and have good skill as yours to work on the bike my own,
I have tried some links you have given but haven't seen more detail about finished product. I belive it must be great CX!
Thanks for share.

VietHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:39 AM   #40
killfile OP
49/50

Oddometer: 353
Thanks for all the comments, everyone.
VietHorse, I quite like what you are doing with your CX650, so it's great to have your input here.

Episode 6 - The Return of the Cachet
It's been too long for updates, I'll try to accelerate the new few episodes so that we can reach our conclusion.
For this installment, I've got a series of shots of tank development. Almost all of this happened solely by Nemo's hands while I was AWOL, and you can see how he took a fairly rough set of panels to an extremely well refined tank in the end. While putting this together we discovered that bending one panel to seam it to the adjacent panel was best. We've since read that it's best to bend both panels and seam the center, which might be better for structural rigidity. Perhaps we'll get a chance to compare the methods on the next build.

Tank geometry looking very good here, but my god that engine below looks disgusting. At this point we are slightly worried about how that will clean up, but mostly concerned with the complex geometry for the tank

All roughly tacked up on top and siting on the bike. Looking alright so far.

Behind view of the same stage. Large base plate will be trimmed shortly

Getting it properly tacked up on the workbench. Many of the panels were fighting each other so it took two strong hands to hold them in place while the tacking was done by another pair of hands. No fingers were lost, but a slight tan was produced.

In order to maximize tank size, avoid those pesky coils, and deal with the sloping center ridge of the frame, the underside of the tank was perhaps even more complex than the topside.

Back on the bike and looking good. This was the end of my day helping out with Nemo and when I returned a few days later...

It was unbelievably smooth. No real polishing at this, just grinding down the welds and sanding everything smooth. Nemo also fashioned a pretty sweet gas cap using some of his typical 'found object' aesthetics. All in all this was much better than we expected the 'first tank' attempt would be.

I'm particularly keen on how the tank pulls in to avoid the CX jugs, and how the underside has just a slight fillet edge, which really makes the entire tank stand out as an exceptional object on it's own. It's also perfectly fitted for Nemo's knees, and scoops in to expose some of the nice elements of the frame.

At this point the tank has been checked twice for leaks and buttoned up tightly, which was no easy task with the geometries on the top and bottom of the tank.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:01 AM   #41
Marco Moto
Voyager

Oddometer: 1,138
Old 03-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #42
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,690
Stunning
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:27 PM   #43
VietHorse
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 964
Looks awesome!
I am thinking of some Arabic luxury cars which are all chromed.

VietHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:57 PM   #44
Manos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by killfile View Post

A-ma-zing!!!
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:33 AM   #45
Paul_Rochdale
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
I used to own a CX500, much derided in it's day but like by the motorcycle courier people. I thought it was excellent and one of the most comfortable dual seats ever. Were many sold in the US? I don't recall every seeing one during my trips there in 2002 and 2006.
Paul_Rochdale is offline   Reply With Quote