Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #1291
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,282
So where are the pics of flug and gordy partying it up in their flatbills?
Old 02-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #1292
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
So you actually know enough about this to speak for MD's everywhere?

I am sure you are right that many DR's in doc-in-the-box clinics everywhere would have this opinion, but that is not where this happened. This is a professional sport, and the professionals make their own decisions. If they pass the concussion exam, and by all reports he did, than it is his decision to return to the track. Whether the Sunday morning DR's are happy about it or not.

I couldn't really give a shit either way if that kid's family doesn't care enough to park his ass when he crashes that hard. I said what I would do to mine. Guess what, there is another SX race in the very near future. In a sport where being in top physical and mental health is critical to performing the simple act of timing the jumps without even trying to race 19 other guys, getting knocked out should sideline a rider at least a week.
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #1293
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
I couldn't really give a shit either way if that kid's family doesn't care enough to park his ass when he crashes that hard. I said what I would do to mine. Guess what, there is another SX race in the very near future. In a sport where being in top physical and mental health is critical to performing the simple act of timing the jumps without even trying to race 19 other guys, getting knocked out should sideline a rider at least a week.
At no time did you ever mention Bell's family or what you would do if it were your family. You passed medical judgement. Do we even know if Bell's family was in attendance to be able to sit him down for the evening?

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #1294
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I can't see how they let him back out. They make some real shady decisions IMO. If that was my kid he'd be in a MRI machine by now.

Wrong.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #1295
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer111v View Post
My understanding is that the frame you qualify with is the only one you can race, as a money saving thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog39 View Post
They have to use the bike he qualified on, switching bikes will get you D/Q'd.
That rule applies in amateur racing as well.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
Old 02-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #1296
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
getting knocked out should sideline a rider at least a week.
How do you know he was knocked out?

My assumption is that he knocked the wind out of himself and couldn't move (it happens). Once he caught his breath and the crew was able to determine that he could move his fingers and toes and had no numbness or tingling, they let him walk it off.

Going back out in the LCQ and qualifying for the main is the kind of thing that makes us who we are.

By the way, Zach Bell is 18 and an adult, so is likely able to make his own decisions.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #1297
mdubya
Right Brigade

Andrew Short to ride for BTO Sports KTM

http://www.racerxonline.com/2013/02/...s-andrew-short

Good for him!

I think Honda is making a mistake not holding on to him.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #1298
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,522
Wow. I didn't see him getting off of the Honda mid-season. I hope he is able to get comfortable on the KTM quickly. His he ever ridden anything other than Japanese in his pro career? I don't recall it...

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #1299
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
Wow. I didn't see him getting off of the Honda mid-season. I hope he is able to get comfortable on the KTM quickly. His he ever ridden anything other than Japanese in his pro career? I don't recall it...
I wish Honda had thrown their support behind him. But it will be interesting to see how he gets along with the KTM. It doesn't seem to be hurting Dungey any.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #1300
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
How do you know he was knocked out?

My assumption is that he knocked the wind out of himself and couldn't move (it happens). Once he caught his breath and the crew was able to determine that he could move his fingers and toes and had no numbness or tingling, they let him walk it off.

Going back out in the LCQ and qualifying for the main is the kind of thing that makes us who we are.

By the way, Zach Bell is 18 and an adult, so is likely able to make his own decisions.

Hey, we are all different, maybe you'd let your 18 year old son go back out. I wouldn't. From his rag doll appearance and the lack of any movement at all, fingers, arms, recoiling from pain etc., I'm pretty sure he was unconscious.

Maybe not. He still could have fractured his neck or spine or had internal injuries and despite walking off, could have died later. I don't see the athletes being put first, the show is. I DQ a rider one year as a AMA MX ref. He had been in the hospital a few days before and had a concussion. His dad was furious but it was the right call. If he crashed/died on the track and I knew about his current brain injury, I'd not only be liable but regret it forever. The doctor that was on our staff agreed.

I just watched the crash again in slow motion. I don't have any reservations about my original opinion.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #1301
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 16,819
Quote:

He was on orange 2 seasons ago, and did not do well.

'02 BN125 Eliminator, oversize 150 rear tire, 1 down on the front sprocket, Amsoil full synthetic race oil, dual gremlin bells
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #1302
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
I'm pretty sure he was unconscious.
If he was, I do not think he could have passed any sort of test for concussion.

I have no problem with what you think you would have done as the father or as an official in that situation.

I just do not think it is possible for you to determine the extent of his condition from watching on TV. No one could possibly diagnose his condition without being there, and actively participating in his evaluation.

Asterisk is saying he did not have a concussion or any signs of injury aside from being sore. You are saying, "I watched it on TV and I know better."

Hence all of my laughter emoticons.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:43 PM   #1303
okiegtrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Meanwhile, back in racing...

I had a great time in Dallas yesterday. Took my 14 year old down there who enjoyed the day as well. Was the first time for us to attend a Super-cross. What a show they put on! Great experience, especially for my kid.

Cowboy stadium is impressive. First class facility, the place is super clean, parking not a complete nightmare, lots of staff on hand who were polite and very attentive to guests. That big screen over the field is nothing short of amazing! Really cant say enough good about the place. Heck, I might even want to go to a football game there.

I got kind of a charge seeing Reed make such a strong start, but it looked to me from lap six on, it was just a matter of when Dungey would take him. The fight between them was fun to watch.

I was hoping that Canard would take a step forward yesterday, but he had a rough night. It would have been nice to see the the Oklahoma boy have a better result, but that's racing.

Looks Dean Wilson is going to be tough to beat, although I'd like to see Wharton do it. He's kind of local to us here, so something of a favorite.

Whether we agree or disagree on the medical treatment, or lack of it, Zach Bell is one tough kid.

At the end of the day, it was a hell of a show, and we are glad we made the trip.
okiegtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #1304
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiegtrider View Post
Meanwhile, back in racing...

I had a great time in Dallas yesterday. Took my 14 year old down there who enjoyed the day as well. Was the first time for us to attend a Super-cross. What a show they put on! Great experience, especially for my kid.

Cowboy stadium is impressive. First class facility, the place is super clean, parking not a complete nightmare, lots of staff on hand who were polite and very attentive to guests. That big screen over the field is nothing short of amazing! Really cant say enough good about the place. Heck, I might even want to go to a football game there.

I got kind of a charge seeing Reed make such a strong start, but it looked to me from lap six on, it was just a matter of when Dungey would take him. The fight between them was fun to watch.

I was hoping that Canard would take a step forward yesterday, but he had a rough night. It would have been nice to see the the Oklahoma boy have a better result, but that's racing.

Looks Dean Wilson is going to be tough to beat, although I'd like to see Wharton do it. He's kind of local to us here, so something of a favorite.

Whether we agree or disagree on the medical treatment, or lack of it, Zach Bell is one tough kid.

At the end of the day, it was a hell of a show, and we are glad we made the trip.
I think Wharton will have more of a say as the season progresses. He didn't seem to be very happy with second place.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #1305
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by skwidd View Post
He was on orange 2 seasons ago, and did not do well.
I attributed his shitty results on orange to them forcing him to ride the 350. It put him behind the 8 ball. Maybe an orange 450 will be an easier transition. I too can't believe Honda isn't stepping up to keep him on red. Solid top 10 every week at a total privateer level is impressive.
Rider_WV is online now   Reply With Quote