Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 02:28 AM   #1
raycam01_au OP
Sir Ray!

Oddometer: 1,066
Laugh Painting Rims? Brisbane

Hi Guy's
I bought a motard setup for my KTM yesterday, they need a re paint, as they have been given a touch up but need a refresh, i am at redcliffe does anyone know someone close thats good with this type of work?
here is the pics of the setup.
I have cleaned them since this photo :P

this is a pic on the bike they came from, mine is also a 525exc, what colour do you think i go? some say orange and some say black.

i like old Honda wheels :P

soon as i saw em i had to have em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2000 Honda ST1100
raycam01_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:41 AM   #2
drikko
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
These guys do some good stuff, no relation blah de blah:-

http://www.robertoscustompowder.com....ery.aspx?ID=13
Breville Sandwich Maker
Brisbane OZ
drikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:53 AM   #3
raycam01_au OP
Sir Ray!

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by drikko View Post

matey
thats freaking awesome, thanks a heap exactly what i was after and not to far away either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
your a legend

2000 Honda ST1100
Old 02-17-2013, 02:54 AM   #4
Gimme 2
Team slo ass

Oddometer: 1,928
Aint easy painting rims and getting them right . but i did mine and they're fine for the race track.
consider powder coating or anodising if you want aeasy to clean and great look.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:03 AM   #5
raycam01_au OP
Sir Ray!

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme 2 View Post
Aint easy painting rims and getting them right . but i did mine and they're fine for the race track.
consider powder coating or anodising if you want aeasy to clean and great look.
yeah the link above is awesome, they were painted prior to touch up, but i ended up stripping them back alittle to check em outs,
i think i will suss out the powder coating option, colours and prices look great :)

cant wait to get them on the bike

2000 Honda ST1100
Old 02-17-2013, 03:38 AM   #6
crash n bern
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
Depends on how much you want to spend, how good you want it to look, and how much you want to take care of it.. You can get them sandblasted and powdercoated, or sandblasted and two packed. If they are already powder coated it will take a bit of blasting to get it off. You could hit them with some good automotive paintstripper if you want to save some money. It will need a few goes, but will cut down on your sandblasting costs. If they need a repaint because they're scratched up fair enough, if it's just dull you can always polish it up

If money is no object there are some finnishes you can buy that they use on jet aircrafts that will hold up better than anything.

If it was me, I would sand them and hit them $15 epoxy enamel out of a spray can. . No one can see them when they're spinning and it's cheap and easy to repaint every time the tyre levers scratch them. If they were bad I would strip them and give them a full spray can hit. But that's just me, I have gone through the whole chrome, powdercoat and whatever else over the years. I ride in all weather, park my bike in a carport and keep them for a long time. So eventually everything flakes, peels, and rusts off. QLD weather is harsh on finnishes over time.
I have spraying equipement and a shelf full of custom paints and I end up painting everything in rattle cans these days. K&H epoxy enamel was really good with a finnish that looked just like powdercoat, but the factory burnt down. Apparently Motospray is equivalent but I haven't used it. Killrust and White knight epoxy enamel is good. I have used White Knight satin black on crashbars with great results. Takes a few months to harden though. Been using Cold Gal as well as it looks a lot like sandblasted alloy and holds up good. Did my mirrors in it after I noticed the touch up on my gate had held up for ten years. I have been slowly repainting all the chrome on my commuter Harley with rattle paint. You probably don't want to go this route, but I thought I would throw it in for anyone else that may need the info.

If your painting alloy or bare steel I use Penetrol as a base coat. This will make the paint adhere better but it will also stop corrosion creeping under the paint. Often a problem with powdercoat or anything else on alloy. Look at the conventional forks on any bike that's a few years old. Most are powder coated in clear or silver and it doesn't last.

Depending on what you decide, any powdercoater can blast and powdercoat them, but the larger portion of the charge will be for blasting them. Most spraypainters can two pack them, bike painters will be more accommodating than some panel shops. But you will probably have to blast or strip them yourself.

crash n bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:07 AM   #7
raycam01_au OP
Sir Ray!

Laugh

some good advice there matey

thanks

i have access to a sandblaster, through a friend so that should cut down a cost :)

2000 Honda ST1100
Old 02-17-2013, 01:00 PM   #8
stujamur
Havin the craic

Oddometer: 1,119
Google plasti dip .

Alot of folk do there alloy wheels with it and it can be eaily peeled off
Old 02-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #9
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash n bern View Post
If it was me, I would sand them and hit them $15 epoxy enamel out of a spray can.
same here, ray. an expensive finish will just get chipped and scratched over time. with normal spraypaint you can just sandpaper scratches and touch up easily. if you keep them black, you can even spray the rim edges while the tyre is on the rim, just spin, aim the can carefully and just slightly press and get a thin spray coming out to avoid painting the tyre.

did this with my own set on the ktm 525exc years ago, had a ball with the same type of motard wheels you have.

personally i'd stay with black, then if you want to add a bit of colour just get the ktm rim stickers off ebay from the UK for $10.

B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #10
crash n bern
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by raycam01_au View Post
some good advice there matey

thanks

i have access to a sandblaster, through a friend so that should cut down a cost :)

The cabinet sandblasters usually don't have enough ooomph to get powder coating off and you'll be there for days. The powdercoaters usually have a shipping container with a 3 phase compressor and a large blasting unit that rips into it. If you go the cabinet route, best to hit it with paintstripper first a few times, even nail it with a pressure washer and then tidy up the stubborn bits in a sandblaster cabinet. Some quarry's do cheap sandblasting as well. Be wary of what they use, I had a frame done with lead shot once, hammered the metal pretty bad.

crash n bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #11
raycam01_au OP
Sir Ray!

Laugh

thanks boys

yeah i seen ya pic before, and do love the older honda rims sexy as, omg gimmie link to them stickers, i couldnt find them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think i might go the paint route, i want something thats easy and like u guys said if it does peel and or come orf, not going to cost me a motza to fix :)

cant wait to get them on, got the XR250r all set up for the tracks and rego now it came up hot as (Thanks to ma matey Tim for the electrical work etc) XR came up a treat, just waiting for the horn and then rego time

loving it

2000 Honda ST1100
Old 02-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #12
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by drikko View Post

Roberto did all the blue bits on this bike, top job.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #13
raycam01_au OP
Sir Ray!

Cool2

wow awesome,
how long ago? i do love the finish, and does it wear well? my bike will be ridden alot

looks gr8

2000 Honda ST1100
Old 02-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #14
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,059
Quote:
wow awesome,
how long ago? i do love the finish, and does it wear well? my bike will be ridden alot

Painting was done last year for the build, but bike was put on the road only a few weeks ago. Have a look at the build thread link in my sig. line

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:28 PM   #15
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,078
Quote:
omg gimmie link to them stickers, i couldnt find them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
just slap "ktm rim stickers" into the ebay seach engine and you should get at least 45 ads and different types coming up.
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote