ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
scout18 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 921
Oregon lane splitting bill SB 541

http://www.leg.state.or.us/13reg/mea...0541.intro.pdf

Here is a link to the text of the bill. Please take the time to get in touch with your senator and ask them to support this.

Here is a link to look up your elected officials.

http://www.leg.state.or.us/senate/

Please pass this to other motorcycle lists that you are on even if you don't foresee yourself splitting lanes.

scout18 screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 11:18 AM Reason: Added content.
scout18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 13,282
I like it,

tho I don't live inna big city and rarely get trapped inna true gridlock type mess,,there are times when traffic is just stupidly slow,(like Aquanout), and in those cases the median shoulder and outside shoulder should be open to bikes and scooters,,, and the 20 mph is right on too,,this is the same speed they allow us to drive if we are hitting children in skool zones, so it makes sense.
I also think that all that terrific dirt track right up the middle of most freeways ought to be open to bikes and 4 wheelers,,at a reduced speed limit, of course.
we could add our own whoops and tabletops as needed..public roads,,the porsche and ferrari guys get the freeway, nobody but the lawnmower uses the median! that's just wrong!
peterman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,470
^

I think you're on to something there. I have often looked with desire on the nice wide grassy median with roost in my heart....

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
jc9995
Commuting BEAST :)

Oddometer: 213
This would be sweet....contacted my senator(s).

This could really shorten the 74 mile RT every day.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,954
Maybe handy sometimes, but...

One of my workmates once was talking about how he would use his method to deal with a motorcycle trying to get between lanes.

I told him, "I hope that door funnels that motorcycle right onto your lap."

He had no more to say.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
Easy-Z
Me wanna be

Oddometer: 3,420
This is a California export I can support!
Easy-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
bdcorrigan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
I think we should be able to ride in the bike lane or on bike trails.
bdcorrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #8
HellsAlien
a has-been that never-was

Oddometer: 2,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcorrigan View Post
I think we should be able to ride in the bike lane or on bike trails.
Yeah, but then we would just run stop signs, not signal, blow through red lights, lean on other people's cars at intersections, get pissed when we pass on the right and get cut off.
HellsAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:09 PM   #9
bdcorrigan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellsAlien View Post
Yeah, but then we would just run stop signs, not signal, blow through red lights, lean on other people's cars at intersections, get pissed when we pass on the right and get cut off.
Hahaha very true
bdcorrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #10
BSkye
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
Yup....totally can see myself splitting lanes, balancing that white line clear down into town, through town and out of town ...

even in the bike lane on the road, however being a bicyclist as well I do not think that separate bicycle paths should be shared with anything "motor"....pretty crowded already!

BSkye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:23 PM   #11
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,130
The whole reason I started riding was to split lanes (was living in California at the time). It's BS that it isn't allowed elsewhere.

I'm astonished to find this bill in existence. I've been bugging the piss out of my Oregon reps for several months about getting a bill submitted. I finally got somebody willing to do it -- Senator Brian Boquist. I was in the process of assembling all of the documentation and drafting sample legislation for him, and he was going to have it drafted and submitted in the 2014 legislature (since the time to submit for 2013 has passed).

I even have a blog on the issue: http://www.lanesharingworks.com

I'll admit, the text of this bill is nowhere near as comprehensive as I would prefer. I was going to have it written to mimic California's CHIP guidelines for Lane Splitting, and even include the two accessory laws, which prohibit cars from interfering with motorcycles attempting to split, including opening doors.

Still, I'd be happy to show up and testify in its favor when it gets to committee, since I live in Salem and already work downtown. I've also emailed Senator Boquist to ask him to look into this bill for me.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:39 PM   #12
BSkye
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
The whole reason I started riding was to split lanes (was living in California at the time). It's BS that it isn't allowed elsewhere.

I'm astonished to find this bill in existence. I've been bugging the piss out of my Oregon reps for several months about getting a bill submitted. I finally got somebody willing to do it -- Senator Brian Boquist. I was in the process of assembling all of the documentation and drafting sample legislation for him, and he was going to have it drafted and submitted in the 2014 legislature (since the time to submit for 2013 has passed).

I even have a blog on the issue: http://www.lanesharingworks.com

I'll admit, the text of this bill is nowhere near as comprehensive as I would prefer. I was going to have it written to mimic California's CHIP guidelines for Lane Splitting, and even include the two accessory laws, which prohibit cars from interfering with motorcycles attempting to split, including opening doors.

Still, I'd be happy to show up and testify in its favor when it gets to committee, since I live in Salem and already work downtown. I've also emailed Senator Boquist to ask him to look into this bill for me.

Rob
Very cool!

BSkye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:49 AM   #13
Squishy
Positively charged

Oddometer: 1,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSkye View Post
however being a bicyclist as well I do not think that separate bicycle paths should be shared with anything "motor"....pretty crowded already!
I agree with that, lots of families with kids out there enjoying themselves, they don't need motorised vehicals ripping through there just to save time.
I do miss lane splitting here, that i was able to do overseas, even bought a scooter once just to lane split on my trip to & from work through heavy downtown traffic, would eliminate 1/2 an hour sitting in traffic...each way.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #14
gelandecanyon
n00b

Oddometer: 2
My letter to our representatives:

Dear Oregon State Representative,

I am writing to encourage you to support Oregon Senate Bill 0541, introduced by Oregon Senator Larry George.

As it’s practiced in California, lane-sharing offers a way to reduce congestion by creating an additional lane for motorcyclists to use when traffic is stopped or slow moving. It conserves energy in two ways. First, it keeps the motorcyclist and other traffic, to a lesser degree, moving. A moving vehicle is more energy efficient than a stopped vehicle plus the commute time is reduced further reducing energy use. Second, it promotes the motorcycle as an alternative form of transportation. Motorcycles get between 35-90 mpg which beats the average car, SUV, or light truck by a huge margin. Lane-sharing may actually be safer for the motorcyclist than being sandwiched between two larger vehicles in stop-and-go traffic. Additionally, some motorcycles (particularly air-cooled) don’t do well in a stopped or slow moving environment and must keep moving to avoid engine damage.

One inexpensive, simple, effective, and immediate way to reduce traffic congestion is to permit motorcyclists to travel between two slow moving lanes of traffic. Doing so adds capacity to every existing four-lane road in the entire state of Oregon. In California where "lane-splitting" is legal, common place, and has been found to enhance motorcycle safety, it is embraced as a significant component of traffic congestion reduction.

Proponents of lane splitting state the Hurt Report of 1981 reached the conclusion that lane splitting improves motorcycle safety by reducing rear end crashes. Lane splitting supporters also state that the US DOT FARS database shows that fatalities from rear end collisions into motorcycles are 30% lower in California than in Florida or Texas, states with similar riding seasons and populations but which do not lane split. The database is available online to the public. The NHSTA does say, based on the Hurt Report, that lane splitting "slightly reduces" rear-end accidents, and is worthy of further study due to the possible congestion reduction benefits.

Thank you for your consideration of SB 0541.
gelandecanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #15
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,239
Voice In The Wilderness...

Another view.

Well...from my observations of motorcycles splitting traffic on freeways and surface streets my personal opinion is that it is dangerous as hell..that video above was of a bike moving a few miles an hour..envision a sports bike, or cruiser, doing 50 +mph between vehicles with literally inches to spare IF the cars are centered in their 12 foot wide lanes...in congested traffic cars weave, bob and try to advance mere inches without turn signals.

Just my perspective...but I do not think quelling the impatient motorcycle riders in commute or a road backed up from construction or an accident is worth the risk.

Right side passing has numerous draw backs..now if there was a high occupancy commute lane that allowed motorcycles… that might cool down those that can't wait or figure out an alternate route. Don't rush through life, enjoy it.

But I could be wrong..
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote