Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #14791
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxthmper View Post
Just picked up a 98 350se with 6900 miles in prety good shape, but now its time make it run really well.
1. With the CV carb, stock pipe and UNI filter at sea level what is a good starting point for jetting I have seen 140 main but what about the pilot?
2. Is the "T" mod for both CV and Pumper carbs?

right now the bike is hard to start and wants to die if you chop the thottle quickly also stubles a little in the mid range, is fine at high rpm / speed. I am expecting this to get cleaned up with a carb cleaning new jets, and a valve adj / check.

Projects for it before it gets handed over to my new to riding girlfriend
1. engine tune up: carb, oil change, valves, air filter
2. #3 lowering link, slide forks up
3. New Clutch cable
4. Clean / lube throttle cables
5. new grips and heaters

Pretty basic stuff anything else should be looking at while it is apart?
thanks
"T" vent mod is only for CV carbs.

I'm at 2200 feet and typically go up in elevation from here. I have a UNI filter, uncut airbox, Jesse modified stock muffler and I run stock jetting for my 1993 model year (CV carb). Even when I had a cut airbox and pumper carb, 140 was way too big for me. 132.5 main jet was the only difference from stock I used with my pumper.

Of course, YMMV.

Other things to do:
- grease the swingarm stuff
- check remaining space on cam chain tensioner (should be fine at 6900 miles)
- check wheel bearings
- lube speedometer cable

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #14792
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
"T" vent mod is only for CV carbs.

I'm at 2200 feet and typically go up in elevation from here. I have a UNI filter, uncut airbox, Jesse modified stock muffler and I run stock jetting for my 1993 model year (CV carb). Even when I had a cut airbox and pumper carb, 140 was way too big for me. 132.5 main jet was the only difference from stock I used with my pumper.

Of course, YMMV.

Other things to do:
- grease the swingarm stuff
- check remaining space on cam chain tensioner (should be fine at 6900 miles)
- check wheel bearings
- lube speedometer cable

Regards,

Gregory Bender
YO greg, Lubing of the speedo cable...how ya doing that? just take both ends off, squirt, then twist and repeat till it comes out other end?

My attempt to roundup Local Riders..
https://www.facebook.com/dualsportridingwesternpa
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #14793
shootmymime
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
1st time post. New owner.

Hello everyone, i thought i would just introduce myself. last summer i went to Mid-Ohio with a buddy who owns hundreds of bikes. well he sold me one for a steal.$600 although it has been rebuilt and changed with some donor parts from a Honda CR (i think) its a great fun bike! so far i have added a baja light kit, pirelli rear tire xcmh (i also picked up a rear paddle tire) and just gone over the bike making sure everything was adjusted properly. ive put a few hundred miles on it riding it around my property this last summer. alright enough talking how about some pictures!
the first few are how it looked the day i got it. then on the trailer back home, then the upgrades.

shootmymime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #14794
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Oddometer: 1,235

See that smoke? I got it running again.

Thats the copious amounts of oil burning out of the exhaust from lubricating the piston and cylinder wall.

Rode the bike around for a few minutes then it started having issues again with backfiring.
I think its going to stay in its current state until Bullitman281 comes down next month and he can give it a look.
I'm tired of wrenching on this shitbox Suzuki.

In other news I put 103 miles on the Terra 650 and changed the oil today.
Rides like a dream. Only 900 more miles until break in is over.

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:51 PM   #14795
bullittman281
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Easy now, The name calling might hurt its feelings. I've already got my work cut out.

You should try to ride it around and warm it up, see if its still doing the exact same thing or if its different now. '
Now might be the time to order some new parts. At least it runs again.

bullittman
bullittman281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #14796
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Oddometer: 1,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullittman281 View Post
Easy now, The name calling might hurt its feelings. I've already got my work cut out.

You should try to ride it around and warm it up, see if its still doing the exact same thing or if its different now. '
Now might be the time to order some new parts. At least it runs again.

bullittman
Ya, I may get a gasket set before you arrive.

Maybe tomorrow if I feel in the mood to get pissed off I'll fire it up and tinker with it.

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:42 PM   #14797
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,559
Walk away! When I am pissed off, shit usually breaks off, bolts strip, knuckles get bloodied.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:26 PM   #14798
Zane Neher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
So.. Do DR250s usually have a steady tick coming from the top end (sounds like)?
I changed the oil since someone told me old oil can make my clutch slip (which gets worse when the bike sits in traffic) and afterwards noticed a ticking. Never noiced before, probably due to the helmet, but my buddy said he's heard it before. Im also in the garage so it probably intensifies the sound.
Zane Neher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:43 PM   #14799
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootmymime View Post
Hello everyone, i thought i would just introduce myself. last summer i went to Mid-Ohio with a buddy who owns hundreds of bikes. well he sold me one for a steal.$600 although it has been rebuilt and changed with some donor parts from a Honda CR (i think) its a great fun bike! so far i have added a baja light kit, pirelli rear tire xcmh (i also picked up a rear paddle tire) and just gone over the bike making sure everything was adjusted properly. ive put a few hundred miles on it riding it around my property this last summer. alright enough talking how about some pictures!
the first few are how it looked the day i got it. then on the trailer back home, then the upgrades.

Could that even be categorized as a DR anymore? I think it looks amazing though. Mine runs like a damn sport bike IMO. faster than I imagined when I bought it. I am currently planning out the new aesthetic changes to totally change the look of the bike and I like what you did there.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #14800
Zane Neher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Confirmed, with the helmet on I can't hear the tick. Is this normal? I guess I should adjust the valves just to know it's been done.
Zane Neher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #14801
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

Oddometer: 570
question:

My plastic tank was painted by the previous owner. I am looking to change the look of my DR350SE but I am thinking of going a different route than buying a new tank. I am thinking of buying one of the seat/tank cover combos off of EBAY.

I do not know if the cover will fit the plastic tank, as it is bigger than the metal ones i believe. Here is the link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321063609251...84.m1423.l2648

I am thinking this would be better than buying a new tank, and still change the look without the need to buy decals.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #14802
shootmymime
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
what can i put around the exhaust pipe to keep my leg from getting almost too hot to ride? how well do the cloth wraps hold up to mud dirt and power washers?
shootmymime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #14803
ADV BUM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
what can i put around the exhaust pipe to keep my leg from getting almost too hot to ride? how well do the cloth wraps hold up to mud dirt and power washers?
Use the fiberglass header wrap. After wrapping coat the wrap with DEI silicone spray. The spray will make the wrap last much longer and will repel dirt and water. It seems heavy when you first do it, but after it cooks it gets very light. It will smoke like crazy and stall the bike at first.
ADV BUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #14804
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,818
Quote:
Obviously not highly abrasion resistant but should be ok and can be washed. You should not be power washing your bike anyway - or at least already taking care to avoid chain, seals and any other vulnerable bits so being carful around a bit of exhaust wrap shouldn't be an issue.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #14805
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Oddometer: 1,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
Well, it's in the garage now. Someone gave it a terrible half-assed paintjob but it does start and run with no unseemly noises. Stalls as soon as you try to get on the throttle but I plan on cleaning out the carb just as SOP with every "new" bike I get. Any recommendations for a quality rebuild kit if it comes to that? I'll try to post up a picture tomorrow, it was too dark for a decent shot when I got it home today.
I didn't see where anyone answered you. I got rebuild kit #14146 from motorcyclecarbs.com for my '96's CV carb, which turned out to be a Keyster eCO2 Ace K-583 kit. Be sure to get all the (likely) varnish off the pilot jet hole with the right sized jet cleaner wire, guitar string, etc.