Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 07:21 PM   #496
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
Ray, what so many folk in other countries don't realize is just how many loooooong straight roads we have in the USA. Cruiser type bikes work well on these super slabs, especially our Interstate systems. It's not much fun traveling 4-600 miles on a hiway all bent up on a super sport. Besides it's tough to look bad azz with leather vest and chaps, head band/doorags, and tats, on a crotch rocket. Just sayin'...tp
I understand that, really. Topography has a lot to do with bike choice (the UK and Japan share a love of sportbikes, perhaps because we are both rocky islands with undulating terrain).

But I also rode the PCH last September, San Diego to Oregon and back. 3000 miles, on a 650GS. If you want the twisties, you can find them .

Fwiw, I don't think the USA has felt the economic shit-storm that has hit Europe and places farther afield. God willing, you won't. But I'm not the only one that has made some hard choices. Bikes here aren't toys, or life-style statements, at least not in the same way.

I'm bikeless after 10 years on two-wheels. That sucks ass.

So Honda have the CTX and the CB500 series, and they are very very tempting for a guy (or girl) on a budget.

Any 2-wheels is better than no 2-wheels..
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:25 PM   #497
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post

Any 2-wheels is better than no 2-wheels..
You may get a job as Honda's Europes new marketing guy

HONDA - "Stop Dreaming. Any 2-wheels is better than no 2-wheels"

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #498
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
You may get a job as Honda's Europes new marketing guy

HONDA - "Any 2-wheels is better than no 2-wheels"
If they gave me a free bike I'd lick their showroom with my tongue.

And make the tea.

I couldn't sell the FB6 though. That marketing vid is truly laugh out loud funny, it is totally devoid of irony.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #499
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,060
Ray,
Living in the gulf coast of Texas, 200-300 miles need to be traveled to find REAL twisties. Parts of the US have been hit hard economically, but the Houston area is still doing ok. Hope you get back on two wheels, really soon. tp
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:53 AM   #500
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
The Phoenix AZ area has been hit especially hard. The economy was mostly based on construction, and other businesses supported by construction workers. Construction came to a complete stop back in '08 and has not started back. We have tens of thousands of vacant commercial and residential properties for sale and rent. A lot of it has been vandalized. I'm lucky to have 36 years into a government job. used bikes are priced pretty fair, but the big powersports dealers (the ones that are left) are STILL trying to rip people off with all their bogus fees. i hope I can get a base model CTX700 OTD for under $10K.

I never did care for sport bikes. Even back when I was able to ride them, it just took too much effort. Kind of like work. I just want to sit back on my easy chair on wheels and watch the miles roll by. A Goldwing is perfect for that, but at $4 a gallon for gas and 35 mpg, it gets expensive in a hurry. I'm hoping the CTX gets better mileage.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:30 PM   #501
GREY.HOUND
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
So I'm coming to unfamiliar territory here; I spend my time on battle scooters. Without going into detail, I originally considered a motorcycle, but decided a scooter made more sense for me so I bought a 250cc scooter. I saw these bikes on Honda's website, checked here the other day and low and behold 30 pages of discussion.

That being said, I feel I can be fairly unbiased here. I have read this whole thread and have a question and I'm being serious here. If one was looking at a 600-800cc bike, what would be a better bike than the 3 Hondas that come with DCT and ABS? I know there are faster, more powerful bikes. Bikes made specifically for highway touring and adventure touring. Bikes with loud chrome pipes and flashy paint jobs. All have there place. But again, I ask in seriousness, what would be a better motorcycle similar in size and style as the NC or CTX at what, $8000?

Of course we all would love to see a bike tailored to our needs, I get that. There are a lot of negative comments in this thread but, I'm not getting much substance. Other than discussion of foot pegs being in the wrong location for some, very few people have told how a similar motorcycle out there is better.

In my observation, there is nothing wrong with these bikes; they just offer something different for a change. Fear of change, fear of something different, well that is human nature I believe.

GH

I'll go on back to my scooter now...
GREY.HOUND is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:41 PM   #502
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,586
If coming from a scooter I can see these bikes as being more attractive to you. Alternatives foe similar money would be a V-Strom, a Versys for two examples.
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:11 AM   #503
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREY.HOUND View Post
If one was looking at a 600-800cc bike, what would be a better bike than the 3 Hondas that come with DCT and ABS?... what would be a better motorcycle similar in size and style as the NC or CTX at what, $8000?
You're asking the question in a way that your answer is the only answer. Yes, if you want a motorcycle like the CTX, then the CTX is best motorcycle out of a list of one. That's really not a very interesting question though.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:53 AM   #504
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,471
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I would expect nothing but complaining about the new Yamaha from most of this forum. After all, it is obviously a CRUISER, and this site has been called "anti-cruiser" by at least one member.

As for all the haters on this thread, I was out riding my Vulcan 750 earlier today, and having a great time (beautiful weather) and came upon a group of riders? on what I consider to be the most horrendous vehicle ever, Goldwing trikes. I admit I can't stand the things, and it bugs me even more that a perfectly good motorcycle (to my way of thinking) was sacrificed to built them. I would NEVER consider riding/driving one of those abominations. BUT, that is just the way I feel. I don't go around bashing them. If that is what their owners want, more power to them.

I may be in a position at some point where I cannot ride a 2 wheeler at all. But I will not give up. While I can't stand those trikes, I do like sidecars, and that is probably what I will get. Riding a bike of any kind will always be way more fun than driving a car.

To anyone out there who rides a motorcycle converted into a trike, I mean no offense by this post. I simply stated how I feel about them. My feelings are no more important or meaningful than yours. Not everybody likes the same kind of bike. I just posted my feelings as an example of how such things can come across to others. Whatever you ride, ride safe.
Please don't say 'more power to them.' The engines on those things are so huge and powerful they are ready for Torque-Flyte fully automatic transmissions.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:13 AM   #505
Podman
Rocketman

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHaz01 View Post
All this fussin' about how the CTX700 looks when most here have never actually seen one on static display.

How you feel about a motorcycle should be a lot like having sex with someone in a pitch black room: Don't much care what it looks like as long as it feels really good when you're riding.
Absolutely theeeeee best post of this whole thread. Everyone should read that line first thing in the morning and if it does not put a smile on your face - go back to bed.
Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #506
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
I also love scooters, and have 3. I have owned 6 total. I am looking at the CTX as kind of a combination scooter/cruiser/touring bike. Comfortable, good handling, and plenty of power for climbing mountains and doing interstate speeds. I just hope it has a good seat.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #507
Davidc83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I also love scooters, and have 3. I have owned 6 total. I am looking at the CTX as kind of a combination scooter/cruiser/touring bike. Comfortable, good handling, and plenty of power for climbing mountains and doing interstate speeds. I just hope it has a good seat.
Hey Jerry, I sat on numerous of them last Saturday. The seat location and width seemed very good, however, the stock, oem, foam won't last long: nothing an uphosterler and memory foam wouldnt fix. I actually liked them in person; the exhaust is basically the same exhaust which is on the nc700; except the ctx exhaust is straight, so it is more noticeable. I really like the ctx with the fairing and automatic with side cases and full windshield-it was beautiful: except I am not in the market for a cruiser. If the cb500x comes in under $6000, my BMW G650GS is history. If not, I will keep my C50 Boulevard-now with 58,000 miles (07 model) and my baby Beemer, now with 32,000 miles (09model).
Davidc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #508
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,415
Quote:
So I'm coming to unfamiliar territory here; I spend my time on battle scooters. Without going into detail, I originally considered a motorcycle, but decided a scooter made more sense for me so I bought a 250cc scooter. I saw these bikes on Honda's website, checked here the other day and low and behold 30 pages of discussion.

That being said, I feel I can be fairly unbiased here. I have read this whole thread and have a question and I'm being serious here. If one was looking at a 600-800cc bike, what would be a better bike than the 3 Hondas that come with DCT and ABS? I know there are faster, more powerful bikes. Bikes made specifically for highway touring and adventure touring. Bikes with loud chrome pipes and flashy paint jobs. All have there place. But again, I ask in seriousness, what would be a better motorcycle similar in size and style as the NC or CTX at what, $8000?

Of course we all would love to see a bike tailored to our needs, I get that. There are a lot of negative comments in this thread but, I'm not getting much substance. Other than discussion of foot pegs being in the wrong location for some, very few people have told how a similar motorcycle out there is better.

In my observation, there is nothing wrong with these bikes; they just offer something different for a change. Fear of change, fear of something different, well that is human nature I believe.

GH

what could be better will depend on what your priorities are. The NC and CTX offer terrific gas mileage and DCT. For pretty much the same money, you could buy a 2013 Yamaha FZ8, and since there are a number of NOS models out there, probably a good bit less. The FZ8 will spank the NC/CTX seven ways to Sunday if your more interested in performance - but you will pay at the pump. Do you just want basic, inexpensive transportation, or do you want basic, inexpensive transportation that gets your adrenaline flowing?

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #509
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,914
Quote:

GH

The bikes are very attractively priced in their size range and offer cruiser ergos with a bit of a different style. It seems to split the difference between a touring bike, a scooter and a cruiser. Fuel economy is likely to be far better than most bikes in the class, and the bike will leave 99% of production cars standing still at a traffic light. So while the bike may not be fast by motorcycle standards it will certainly not struggle in any traffic situation. I think it has a lot to offer though I have decided it is not for me.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #510
GREY.HOUND
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Thanks for the responses to my questions everyone. I am interested in seeing how the long term goes with these bikes.
GREY.HOUND is online now   Reply With Quote