ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 03:57 PM   #91
Jurgen OP
Trolljegeren
 
Jurgen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Sandoval, Nuevo Mexico
Oddometer: 38,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobob View Post
Chuck pours some oil on troubled waters.

And then throws a match on it.

__________________
They're nihilists, Donny, nothing to be afraid of.


Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:37 AM   #92
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Upstate SC
Oddometer: 8,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubwheat View Post
Truest statement in the article..."moronic drug cops."
Moronic cop is a bit redundant.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #93
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL
 
ScottDill's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario
Oddometer: 4,017
It seems that Johnny football is such a big celebrity on campus that he can't take real live classes like a real live student. Yet somehow Cam Newton manages to do it Auburn. I guess that shouldn't be too surprising these days, but I do find it strangely disturbing for some reason. Emmitt Smith was the biggest star on campus when I was at UF and he got a lot of attention.....but we didn't have on-line anything back then


http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...#ixzz2LMF5z3dg

Quote:
Manziel, a former Kerrville Tivy High star, said he's taking four online courses in sports management, which is his major. He said he had signed up for an on-campus English class before deciding to go fully online.
“I went one day — it was a small class of 20 or 25 — and it kind of turned into more of a big deal than I thought,” Manziel said of the fuss surrounding his presence. “The (athletic department) did a good job of saying, 'Let us know if you need anything and we'll figure it all out,' but (by then) I had all online classes, so we didn't need that.”
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #94
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)
 
shrineclown's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Bruins Nation
Oddometer: 9,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottDill View Post
It seems that Johnny football is such a big celebrity on campus that he can't take real live classes like a real live student. Yet somehow Cam Newton manages to do it Auburn. I guess that shouldn't be too surprising these days, but I do find it strangely disturbing for some reason. Emmitt Smith was the biggest star on campus when I was at UF and he got a lot of attention.....but we didn't have on-line anything back then


http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...#ixzz2LMF5z3dg

Yeah but, Emmitt was super cool and still is. Is Johnny Football super cool or just full of himself?
__________________
Life is Good and Getting Better Every Day!
shrineclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #95
Linzi
Volvo Driving Soccer Mom
 
Linzi's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN
Oddometer: 15,414
I'd be surprised if many football players - particularly the first string - go to actual class.
Linzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:55 AM   #96
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)
 
shrineclown's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Bruins Nation
Oddometer: 9,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linzi View Post
I'd be surprised if many football players - particularly the first string - go to actual class.
Maybe in the SEC....some top programs have coaches who take the schooling seriously. Stanford, ND etc. I am sure you are correct that many do the electric slide though. Although, I thought I read somewhere that the Georgia coach, Richt, was a go to school guy too. If they are still in the SEC
__________________
Life is Good and Getting Better Every Day!
shrineclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:03 AM   #97
Linzi
Volvo Driving Soccer Mom
 
Linzi's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN
Oddometer: 15,414
I'm not saying they don't do work, but that they make exceptional use of tutors, online offerings, etc., etc., to complete their coursework.
Linzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #98
wiseanhyzer
\ˈwī-zən-ˌhī-zər\
 
wiseanhyzer's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Georgia
Oddometer: 1,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrineclown View Post
Maybe in the SEC....some top programs have coaches who take the schooling seriously. Stanford, ND etc. I am sure you are correct that many do the electric slide though. Although, I thought I read somewhere that the Georgia coach, Richt, was a go to school guy too. If they are still in the SEC
Yes, UGA football players go to real classes. I know for a fact.

I'm not sayin' they're all honor roll or anything but they do attend class.
__________________

wiseanhyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #99
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL
 
ScottDill's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario
Oddometer: 4,017
Where is Native Son? His beloved alma-mater has sold the naming rights to it's stadium to a company that runs private prisons. It's being mocked as "Owlcatraz"



http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...l-stadium-name

ScottDill screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 12:22 PM
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #100
Linzi
Volvo Driving Soccer Mom
 
Linzi's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN
Oddometer: 15,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottDill View Post
It's being mocked as "Owlcatraz"
That's genius!
Linzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:21 PM   #101
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL
 
ScottDill's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario
Oddometer: 4,017
This is a nice article about Cam Newton starring in "Back to School II"

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...tml#more-26677


Great quote that highlights the seemingly ridiculousness of the Johnny Football situation.

Quote:
@YahooSchwab Tebow went to class after winning and being finalists twice. No way its crazier for Johnny FB than it was for Tebow.
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #102
Jurgen OP
Trolljegeren
 
Jurgen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Sandoval, Nuevo Mexico
Oddometer: 38,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottDill View Post
Where is Native Son? His beloved alma-mater has sold the naming rights to it's stadium to a company that runs private prisons. It's being mocked as "Owlcatraz"



http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...l-stadium-name









I miss NativeSon.
__________________
They're nihilists, Donny, nothing to be afraid of.


Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #103
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Upstate SC
Oddometer: 8,453
Sheesh, sure is a lot of butthurt over at Oregon over Johnny Football.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #104
Bubwheat
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Oddometer: 1,407
"Packers coaches going to Texas A&M to try to stop mobile quarterbacks"

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/2/2...-m-read-option

I'm pretty sure Alabama would like to find out how to do it!

..."it was immediately clear that the Packers were tired out early on from having to pursue Kaepernick and the 49ers' running backs from sideline to sideline..."

Seems those big ol' Bama boys have something in common w/ the Packers.
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:30 AM   #105
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)
 
shrineclown's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Bruins Nation
Oddometer: 9,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubwheat View Post
"Packers coaches going to Texas A&M to try to stop mobile quarterbacks"

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/2/2...-m-read-option

I'm pretty sure Alabama would like to find out how to do it!

..."it was immediately clear that the Packers were tired out early on from having to pursue Kaepernick and the 49ers' running backs from sideline to sideline..."

Seems those big ol' Bama boys have something in common w/ the Packers.
Kind of curious that highly paid football coaches could not determine the scheme from watching the film of the game. Makes you wonder how they get along in the NFL? Reads, tells, counters everything I would hope my coach could pick up are on the tape.
__________________
Life is Good and Getting Better Every Day!
shrineclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014