ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 249 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 05:26 AM   #6961
FireDog45
Mid-life crisis sufferer

Oddometer: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I am the current Dropbox owner, having been asked by DRTBYK to watch over it while he's away. I can invite you if you PM me your email address.
Pm coming in. I'm curious to see how people are using the shortcuts and what they've come up with, thanks!
FireDog45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:37 AM   #6962
Bli55
-

Oddometer: 343
FireDog45, I previously wrote about 6 of my shortcuts, none of which work...
They were set to switch between direct and automotive routing, top and perspective view, show and hide of current track...
Yep, none of these work!
Only shortcut that works is to reset trip computer averages, mileage etc..
Bli55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:10 AM   #6963
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
I too got it mainly for the huge display vs. my 60CSx and will largely use it for tracks but wanted to learn how to do routes as well with CNNANT.

For routing I've learned enough that for me I can live with any routing limitations it may have (and I've never used a Zumo to have any expectations beforehand). As I've just learned, BaseCamp is nice for making your route quickly and adding Via Points until you like it, then saving it as a track for use on Montana. I plan on also saving it in Direct activity profile in BaseCamp then transfer it for use on the Montana in a Non-Direct mode, which is handy for things like "Miles to Destination" and "Time to Destination" along with guided turns. So like others I will use Tracks but also Routes at the same time.

But from what I gather, if you want to do tracks you want a Montana because only a Zumo 66x can do it. Tracks will always display accurately as there is no calculations made on the Montana that could alter the track display. If you only care about routing then it may be a harder decision and I don't know enough to compare (see Montana or Zumo thread).

So you may think that all my detailed comments and questions imply it is complicated and I don't like it but no actually I was just trying to understand it all and I think routing is pretty clear to me now and so far I don't find it limiting.

Like anything else your satisfaction is a matter of your expectations, and what you are used to already. And there may be things that are annoying even for tracks vs. the 60CSx but just to have a big bright screen is enough reason for me to love it, honestly!
Tracks are pretty straightforward. I mean a 5 YO can figure them out considering they're nothing more then the digital equivalent of tracing/drawing lines on a paper map.

The Montana works well enough on my dual sport rides and I can live with it's limitations. But it does leave me with having to hang onto the Zumo for my street riding.

I'm just waiting for the day Google decides to kick Garmin to the curve and bring out a real does it all GPS with REAL software. With them opening up brick and mortar stores now I can see this as a distinct possibility.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:20 PM   #6964
FreeTheBeast
valebat ascensorem

Oddometer: 2,996
Cool2 Got one...

I just picked up a 650t today. Trying to figure it out. I guess that I need to buy City Navigator to be able to route on roads. My 2610 is getting on 9 years old or so. Time for an upgrade.

The Hampster Ride - A mainly dirt route to ride the length of New Hampshire.
Max the Motorcycle - children's book written by Mrs. FTB
SmugMug Photo Gallary
FreeTheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #6965
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,833
You should try osm while you wait for city nav. They work well is most areas but dont have all the nice stuff of city nav. At least you can play around with that for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeTheBeast View Post
I just picked up a 650t today. Trying to figure it out. I guess that I need to buy City Navigator to be able to route on roads. My 2610 is getting on 9 years old or so. Time for an upgrade.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:25 PM   #6966
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeTheBeast View Post
Good choice Andrew. Should make it a lot easier to navigate the RR tracks on that new GS

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 05:41 AM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #6967
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 759
Be sure to buy CN on DVD so you can load it into Basecamp and the Montana.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #6968
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,081
Montana

Bought two brand new, both of them were the biggest pieces of junk, they would freeze, turn off and on while hard wired, returned them both. Anybody having same problems?
Old 02-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #6969
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkey Cat View Post
Bought two brand new, both of them were the biggest pieces of junk, they would freeze, turn off and on while hard wired, returned them both. Anybody having same problems?
Most of us know why they turn off even while hard wired, and deal with it. An earplug in the battery case is all it takes to cure the problem.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:45 PM   #6970
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Hi again all

Not a problem this time, my Montana seems to be working fine(3rd time lucky it seems), but I am confused about something.

I normally use Automotive mode, or Geocaching, I have never really used Recreational mode, but today I did.

Now, I was inputting a set of co-ords for a point in a multi cache, it was in Recreational mode as it was in the bush, I could not use Automotive mode, I tried Geocache mode but had the same issue as below.

Now, the multi cache way point that I juts put in was marked by a Blue pin on the map, and it had a purple line from me to it, but no matter how I tried(admittedly only 10 minutes) it would not tell me the distance between us?

I tried a few different data fields and still had no luck.

What am I doing wrong please? I really expect straight out of the box settings(for Recreational Mode) to give that particular information as a basic standard, but it seems I am wrong.

Anyway, I will play around some more now that I found the cache(my inaugural Multi AND a FTF as well :) In case you are interested, this was it here in Cambodia

Wat A Vu

Bokor Mountain, not worth importing your own bike for, but borrow a Ninja or an R1 or something and do it :)

Cheers
TravellingStrom

TravellingStrom screwed with this post 02-17-2013 at 09:55 PM
TravellingStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:00 PM   #6971
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
I am digging the Montana.

I would like to see it have a setup where you only have 2 data fields on the map. On the other Garmin units, you have several choices of number and arrangement of data fields on the map.

Also, why not let you change any field to anything you want. Like on the Nuvi dashboard, you only have a few things you can change the one changeable data field to. Why not be able to change it to any of the available fields?

Anyway, the profile thing is sweet. And the display and docking system seem like they will work fine on the bike. I have only messed with it so far in my van.

I also love how easy it is to turn on and off maps you have in the Montana. On the old units you have to turn off tons of tiles of each map to get them shut off. It was a pain. On the Montana, just pick the map and click enable or disable. Sweet. Nice improvement!

I also like how you can edit the files in the Montana and on its data card from inside Basecamp. On my 60csx, I would normally get the tracks from a ride out of it, then unplug it and delete all the tracks from it using its internal menus, then plug it back in to put tracks for where the area I was going to visit in it for use in the field. With the Montana, I can delete stuff in the Montana while it is plugged in and I am in Basecamp on the computer.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:18 AM   #6972
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post

Wat A Vu

Cheers
TravellingStrom

Congrats on the FTF!
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:16 AM   #6973
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Congrats on the FTF!
Cheers mate

That road is awesome
Old 02-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #6974
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkey Cat View Post
Yes, pretty much the same problem with many Garmin units. Intermittent battery connection due to vibration. Simple fix but since you sent them back,it's a little late to be asking.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #6975
esp41
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
I am doing a TAT trip this summer. I will be using Sam's GPS tracks. Would I be wise to load the Maps (CNNA, Topo) and all the tracks on the SDCard and making backup of the card? Or would I be safe putting maybe the CNNA maps on the Garmin memory (CNNA and Topo will not fit on the internal memory together)

Thanks-Mike
1993 Harley Heritage Classic
Tomos ST
esp41 is offline   Reply With Quote