Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #3301
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmithy View Post
National Cycle Spitfire...cheap and works well. This is a carry over from my DR-Z. It sits a little high on the CRF, but still works well.

Could you show me more of your ADV monster lights? I have a set on my Versys, and I want to put a set on my LRP. How did you mount them, and which ones did you get? Thanks.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #3302
Avi8tor
ADV Poser

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
Could you show me more of your ADV monster lights? I have a set on my Versys, and I want to put a set on my LRP. How did you mount them, and which ones did you get? Thanks.
These are model 44s. I used the two top bolts for the headlight shroud. They barely fit without rubbing the turn signals and are able to point straight ahead. I did have to buy an extra flanged washer for the left side to get a solid mount. They have not moved since I put a little blue thread locker on them.

Parts needed were two longer bolts and one flanged washer.
Avi8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #3303
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
These are model 44s. I used the two top bolts for the headlight shroud. They barely fit without rubbing the turn signals and are able to point straight ahead. I did have to buy an extra flanged washer for the left side to get a solid mount. They have not moved since I put a little blue thread locker on them.

That's great. Thank you. They look perfect there.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #3304
AZDavis
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Flatland racing skid plat and radiator guard (after) pic

I know that a few people have asked for "after" pics and I am now the unfortunate owner of a couple. The radiator guard performed very well, I can only assume that is because as the bike cartwheeled it came down fully on the skid plate which is bent to 'heck' in a pile of bowling ball and larger rocks. I am happy to report however that the wreck was Wednesday, the bike was ridden for another hour out of the woods and the real damage wasn't discovered until today when I was performing an oil change and had to get a pry bar out to move the skid plate enough to have access to the oil filter. All I can think is that had the plate NOT been installed that the bike would have come down full force on either the engine cradle or the bottom of the engine case, either of which would likely have been catastrophic, in more ways than one. Judging by the cracking paint on the frame it may be a little bent now anyway... I'll post the pics in the morning in the shared google folder I have created. More good news, Pro Taper KX High bars were installed at the same time as the skid plate (without hand guards as yet since they are larger) survived well and un-injured. I have to believe that these bars are as tough as everyone says now.

Just in case anyone knows, I was trying to take the short 5 mile version of Srvc rd 393 from the Beeline highway down to Bartlett Lake in the Tonto NF. The 20 mile long version of that road which starts at the top of Mt Ord looks great and certainly pedestrian (and more enjoyable!) compared to where we last week. I'll let you know in a couple weeks!
AZDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:48 PM   #3305
Demar39
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:

Did you need to install a relay when you added these lights?
Old 02-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #3306
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDavis View Post
I know that a few people have asked for "after" pics and I am now the unfortunate owner of a couple. The radiator guard performed very well, I can only assume that is because as the bike cartwheeled it came down fully on the skid plate which is bent to 'heck' in a pile of bowling ball and larger rocks. I am happy to report however that the wreck was Wednesday, the bike was ridden for another hour out of the woods and the real damage wasn't discovered until today when I was performing an oil change and had to get a pry bar out to move the skid plate enough to have access to the oil filter. All I can think is that had the plate NOT been installed that the bike would have come down full force on either the engine cradle or the bottom of the engine case, either of which would likely have been catastrophic, in more ways than one. Judging by the cracking paint on the frame it may be a little bent now anyway... I'll post the pics in the morning in the shared google folder I have created. More good news, Pro Taper KX High bars were installed at the same time as the skid plate (without hand guards as yet since they are larger) survived well and un-injured. I have to believe that these bars are as tough as everyone says now.

Just in case anyone knows, I was trying to take the short 5 mile version of Srvc rd 393 from the Beeline highway down to Bartlett Lake in the Tonto NF. The 20 mile long version of that road which starts at the top of Mt Ord looks great and certainly pedestrian (and more enjoyable!) compared to where we last week. I'll let you know in a couple weeks!
WOW! Good thing you had it on there. Good thing your alive. I had mine out today just running in the rain. It's finally warming up some up here. Can't wait for the pics.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #3307
CRFSoCal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaan View Post
According to Best Dual Sports, it's the only Q4 blue titanium with the carbon end cap that FMF makes. I also have the Powercore but it doesn't look as nice. ;) I'm in Walnut.
Nice!! I am located in Glendora.
CRFSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:19 PM   #3308
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Thumb

Quote:
hi :) Please show us more pics. :) What bracket did you use? How did you do the wiring?
Model 44, is that "spot" or "flood"?

cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:50 AM   #3309
Avi8tor
ADV Poser

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat View Post
hi :) Please show us more pics. :) What bracket did you use? How did you do the wiring?
Model 44, is that "spot" or "flood"?
I can take a few pics, but I just used the stock light bracket, that came with the lights with longer bolts in the top two bolt holes of the headlight shroud. It was a simple installation. I also had to buy another flanged nut for the left side...it does not have one in the stock form.

The Model 44s are floods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demar39 View Post
Did you need to install a relay when you added these lights?
I did. Eastern Beaver 3CS that also powers heated grips and two Powerlets.
Avi8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #3310
LillaMan
n00b is okay by me.

Oddometer: 36
My next bike!

I am so excited... I have found the bike I have been looking for since I started riding in the late 70s... Honda CRF250L.

An American copywriter in Sweden
LillaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #3311
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
they are great bikes and great price too!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:57 PM   #3312
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
I'm sure this has been beaten to death but, how much can the 250 L be lowered. I'm thinking about getting one for my 16 year old daughter. It doesn't look like much foam can be cut from the seat.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #3313
Oldtimer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallachian Spikes View Post
I'm sure this has been beaten to death but, how much can the 250 L be lowered. I'm thinking about getting one for my 16 year old daughter. It doesn't look like much foam can be cut from the seat.

Koubalink.com sells a 1 3/4 lowering link and Seat Concepts has a one inch lower seat.
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #3314
klondike300
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Looking at putting on my Trackside 12 volt outlet. Was wondering though if getting a plug that matches my tender plug and just use it when needed is smarter. Seems like the one on my KLX drained the battery quicker.

Also, would it be smart to add a fuse inline or just bolt straight to the battery?
klondike300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #3315
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallachian Spikes View Post
I would be hesitant to drop it more than an inch, otherwise you risk the rear wheel bottoming into the fender. A revised rear shock, once available, can be set to limited travel so you can drop it more, but until then...

On my KLX250S, I did the 1" drop with lowering links, and got the rest of it by having a custom seat made. I got easily 2" (maybe 3) from that.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote