Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #46
theKite
Ulyssean

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcc View Post
thekite,I have been running my belt drive a little on the slack side since I snapped the first belt with no trouble yet.I still are going to switch to a chain ' cause if it breaks again it might not be in as a faverable spot as last time.
I think I agree. I can remember some long lonely walks home after break downs.
theKite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:52 PM   #47
DJ1
Chopper Jockey

Oddometer: 180
Hey XLCC, great looking bike. I'm in the process of doing something similar and was sent this way by another inmate. Can you pass along any info on your 18" rear wheel.

After riding in Montana and punching a belt years ago I converted all our sportys over to chain. I was lucky and never broke one. The conversion is pretty straight forward, if you want any info about it let me know.
DJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:11 PM   #48
xlcc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
18"rear wheel

I bought my rear wheel from The Motorcycle Superstore.I also Picked up my tires from them.Fast reliable servicemistake,I got my rear wheel from KC International Motorcycle Supply

xlcc screwed with this post 07-29-2011 at 02:11 PM
xlcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:39 PM   #49
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ1 View Post
After riding in Montana and punching a belt years ago I converted all our sportys over to chain. I was lucky and never broke one. The conversion is pretty straight forward, if you want any info about it let me know.
I with you on this. chains are a mess, but dependable and easy to repair and get to a place to have a new one put on

I converted mine to chain and hope it works out good, I'm not sure of the rear sprocket life, all I could find was aluminum. We'll see
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:09 PM   #50
xlcc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

broken belt

I broke another belt from running it too slack.My throttle hand is a bit on the heavy side and when giving 'er hard on pavement one morning the wheel takes a jolt trying to catch up to the engine and the next thing I know my belt is laying on the road.
If you want a reliable setup for the gravell and loose shit or a little mud I strongly recomend a chain drive to anyone interested in converting a Sportster into a scrambler of some sort.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #51
mhevezi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Nice work on making an adventure bike out of what you got, but...

How does that swing arm not snap? I think my toothbrush has more torsional strength!
Old 03-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #52
xlcc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhevezi View Post
Nice work on making an adventure bike out of what you got, but...

How does that swing arm not snap? I think my toothbrush has more torsional strength!
I use my ride mostly on highway and secondary roads which are gravell,unless it rains then the road surface can get pretty greasey so the swingarm dose'nt get stressed a whole lot like off road rideing or jumps.The bike definetly has its limitations but it sure is a blast to ride.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:18 PM   #53
xlcc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

chain drive

I finally got around to converting to a chain drive.I went with a 51 tooth rear and a 22 tooth on the tranny.now this setup should prove reliable.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #54
mojave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Hello xlcc,

I went to KC and they have a couple choices.

Tell me about the wheels you got from them - are the rims alloy or steel?. How are they holding up?

I have a 2003 883R with 1200cc engine. I'm using the Showa 1200S shocks and emulators in the forks. The stock wheels are really heavy, do you think your new rear is lighter?
2012 NC700X (HonDog)
mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:43 PM   #55
xlcc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojave View Post
Hello xlcc,

I went to KC and they have a couple choices.

Tell me about the wheels you got from them - are the rims alloy or steel?. How are they holding up?

I have a 2003 883R with 1200cc engine. I'm using the Showa 1200S shocks and emulators in the forks. The stock wheels are really heavy, do you think your new rear is lighter?
the wheel I replaced is 3.5"x18" steel.I can use tubeless tires on it as it is sealed with some kind of silicon strip.I really like the setup,very well made and good value for the money.The bead is made for tubeless tires,as a matter of fact I used a tube and shreaded the tube beacuse the valve stem moved and it still held air to ride a couple tanks of gas then I put a tubeless valve stem in on a tube tire and away I went.No leaks.An aluminum wheel would be nice front and back.I don't think the wheel is any lighter than stock.It is a heavy duty setup
Old 02-24-2013, 08:03 AM   #56
mojave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Interesting, agree that for the adv application the weight is not so important as the sturdiness. And tubeless? That's a major advantage.

The Sportster I have now I can't bring myself to chop into an adventure bike, it's just too nice. With the mods it handles OK, but the stock wheels! Heavy as sin, you just know the handling would be much sweeter with 10-15 pounds less at each end. But I just will not spend thousands for lighter wheels/brakes. I've never built a wheel but that's an option and wouldn't be too expensive...

I think if a cheap enough 883 fell into my hands I might see about adventurizing it. If that worked out then maybe a basic 9.5 to 1 1200cc conversion. After my drag racing phase I kind of regret going the 10.5 to 1 level three build. Under 3,000 rpm isn't all that accessible.

My Sportster I think nothing of taking down dirt roads etc. As has been pointed out it works well in loose conditions.
2012 NC700X (HonDog)
mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:07 PM   #57
xlcc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojave View Post
Interesting, agree that for the adv application the weight is not so important as the sturdiness. And tubeless? That's a major advantage.

The Sportster I have now I can't bring myself to chop into an adventure bike, it's just too nice. With the mods it handles OK, but the stock wheels! Heavy as sin, you just know the handling would be much sweeter with 10-15 pounds less at each end. But I just will not spend thousands for lighter wheels/brakes. I've never built a wheel but that's an option and wouldn't be too expensive...

I think if a cheap enough 883 fell into my hands I might see about adventurizing it. If that worked out then maybe a basic 9.5 to 1 1200cc conversion. After my drag racing phase I kind of regret going the 10.5 to 1 level three build. Under 3,000 rpm isn't all that accessible.

My Sportster I think nothing of taking down dirt roads etc. As has been pointed out it works well in loose conditions.
I bought mine on ebay for 4 grand and it looked like new but I like to make things to fit my fancy and don't really care what others may think what I should have done.One day I'll turn it into an 88" torque monster and open a few more eyes.Good luck with yours!
Old 02-25-2013, 05:03 AM   #58
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,663
xlcc--

That'd be my Harley, if only I had the talent to build it. Can we see some more pictures?

Sarah
Old 02-25-2013, 10:03 PM   #59
xlcc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post
xlcc--

That'd be my Harley, if only I had the talent to build it. Can we see some more pictures?

Sarah
thanks for the comment,that bike seems to draw a lot of attention where ever I go
I have more pictures showing some wear and tear but I don't know this computer stuff on how to post them.My son did it for me and he is on his own now.But there are some more posted by somebody else from a trail ride I showed up at called "the big B.C. trail ride"on the Canada regional forum.It was the only Harley there.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:08 AM   #60
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,663
OK, thanks again. Enjoy that bike!

Sarah