User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 628
GMAX GM11D Dualsport Helmet

Anyone have any experiance with this helmet?
http://www.gmaxhelmet.com/GM11D-SO.html

I have looked at the FLY Trekker, AFX FX39 and the MSR Xpedition. The shield on all (3) of these helmets when in the up position are right at my eye leavel. The shield on the GMAX is up out of the way.

Any input positive or negitive will be welcome.

thanks, Brad
985+ Old Bridges in Missouri
PAVED ROADS...... ANOTHER PERFECT EXAMPLE OF NEEDLESS, SPENDING BY THE GOVERNMENT"
rhino_adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
mookybird
Gramps

Oddometer: 213
I used one on a 5000 mile jaunt on an unfaired dirt bike. I chose it over the others for the same reason you mention about the faceshield retracting all the way up out of the line of sight. It flows a bunch of air and was as comfortable as could be expected in temps over 100.

The tab you grab to raise and lower the faceshield takes a little getting used to, it is on the lower left corner of the shield and most others are a little more forward which improves the leverage you have to raise or lower the shield. This isn't a deal breaker and you quickly adjust but it is a little different.

I didn't have any issues with the helmet lifting in the airstream, on an unfaired bike as I lower the shield at around 60 there is a noticable decrease in wind resistance when your looking forward but you get a little head steer when you look left or right, I don't know if that makes sense but the lateral left right steer seems to come more from the faceshield being lowered than the bill/visor.

I think for the money it's a good choice, I bought mine online and it's too large, I'm sure that exaggerates the left /right headsteer factor. I have an Arai Profile in large that fits perfectly, my Gmax is XL and just a little too loose, Before this riding season I'm buying another in large and hope that I don't have any issues with helmet shape/pressure spot on my forehead.

I like the bill/visor on dirt helmets low on the horizon. I thought the Gmax was better than most in that department but I still did a small mod to lower it way down where I like it. "see pic"

mookybird screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 04:22 PM
mookybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
roundtripping
Adventourist

Oddometer: 1,702
I have a size M and the shell is ridiculously large. Otherwise it's nice for the money.

My SPOT Tracker
roundtripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
TossingLead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
I've had mine for about 8 Months, Replace the inside side pads, (they have different sizes available) fits good now.
Bought it to use in the summer heat and it does breath well.
Yes the shield is out of sight when up.
Also has a notch that holds the shield just open for more airflow.
You can also use goggles with shield UP or DOWN
It has a larger opening so Over The Glasses goggles fit.
There are some other accessories for it on there web site, I think they sell as an snowmobile helmet also.
For the money I can't say any thing bad about it.
Will be wearing it more when it warms back up.
TossingLead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
mookybird
Gramps

Oddometer: 213
Thanks for the suggestion on the different sized pads, I'll look into it. gramps
mookybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
Ghostyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
+1 on different cheek pads. My head measurement said I should be wearing a Medium. With the cheek pads in, I'm not comfortable in an XL. I have replacements on the way and really hope they transform the helmet.

Stock cheek pads are 15mm, smallest replacements that I found online are 10mm.
Ghostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:09 AM   #7
andrewhtf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
I have one. My head is arai size M but on this gmax, i had to wear size S.
Riding anywhere above 60mph, this thing catches the wind, big time.
Oh by the way, it is freaking heavy.

Suffice to say it is not my primary helmet. And it will never be.
andrewhtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #8
XT_Driftwood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
I have one and I'm happy with it. But... my previous ADV-style helmet was a Simpson GS3. Compared to the Simpson, the GMAX is lighter, has a smaller shell, has a far better field of vision, and has better ventilation.

I tried on both the GMAX and the Fly Trekker. I initially liked the fit of the Fly better but bought the GMAX because it was a few bucks less and I'm a cheapskate. Both helmets were light years better than what I was used to.
'99 Cagiva Gran Canyon - the bane of my existence
XT_Driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #9
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,314
I also have the GM-11.....good helmet....it is not heavy!......I should have bought the size Large though,the XL is a bit to loose. Have some patience,drill some TINY holes in the visor to cut down on the wind drag.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #10
Ghostyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostyman View Post
+1 on different cheek pads. My head measurement said I should be wearing a Medium. With the cheek pads in, I'm not comfortable in an XL. I have replacements on the way and really hope they transform the helmet.

Stock cheek pads are 15mm, smallest replacements that I found online are 10mm.
My replacement cheek pads arrived today and did completely transform the helmet. Both the Med and XL are much more comfortable and will be usable now. Just a matter of figuring out if I can use the Med with a balaclava or if I need to get a Large.

I will also add that I really like the helmet and as long as it fits comfortably, it's a great deal.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:00 PM   #11
andrewhtf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
The gmax uses a single shell size across the whole size range. You may swap the pads and liners to get your preferred fit.
andrewhtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #12
Ghostyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewhtf View Post
The gmax uses a single shell size across the whole size range. You may swap the pads and liners to get your preferred fit.
Good call. I took a look at the Med and XL and they appear to have the same shell like you said. The liners are interchangeable but the only difference seems to be in the circumference; there's no difference in padding thickness. The difference in size seems to just be from the amount of foam in the upper part of the helmet. The difference is visibly noticeable when comparing them side by side with the liners out.

The Med came with 20mm cheek pads, the XL came with 15mm pads. I had to buy 10mm pads and then both helmets fit identically in the cheek area.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:33 AM   #13
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 628
Thanks for all the input!
The size chart puts me right between a medium and a large. I ordered a size large in hopes it will allow the use of my prescription glasses without too much trouble. The biggest selling point was the ability to change cheek pads to adjust for proper fit.

Brad
985+ Old Bridges in Missouri
PAVED ROADS...... ANOTHER PERFECT EXAMPLE OF NEEDLESS, SPENDING BY THE GOVERNMENT"
rhino_adv is offline   Reply With Quote